I'm gonna buy a new hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this has been discussed before somewhere in a thread. Aren't there a couple of Fiskars models only available in Europe?

I carry my little fiskars everywhere. I have several. (I cant keep all the "X" numbers strait) x7, x11, x37 and the isocore, but I only use the little x7 and the Isocore.

The X7 is so bloody short. I love the darn thing but accuracy is challenging. I feel like I would be more effective with the longer X11 which has a 17" handle.
The X5 is considered a 14" hatchet. They consider the X11 a splitting axe.
Another vote for the X11 much better than a standard hatchet, it will split wood too. I carry one in my truck all the time.

I have a husqvarna wooden handle hatchet. It takes and holds a sharp edge. It does chop and split well for short periods of time. It's a beast of a hatchet. But it's heavy head soon becomes tiresome. And because of the handle shape it is uncomfortable to choke up on.
Would I recommend one ..... nope. Steel is good but to much of it. Poor ergonomics.

I now use a 200 mm steel wedge welded to some flat steel and a hammer (like a kindling cracker) ..... faster and safer

Them little fiskars are like $60au here, there not bad little axes, strong light handles. I don't like the metal used in the bit much, I would much prefer an older high carbon HB, GB, Plumb, Hytest, Hultofors or other quality bit then by a nice handle to hang it. Then you have a piece worthy of your grandchild to use in future generations.

i've got several, an old carpenters hatchet i got when i was about 12, sharp like a razor, it has straight blade and straight handle and hammer head. an old boy scout hatchet with curved blade edge and curved handle not as sharp as the carpenter style but very comfortable to use for limbing , bark removal and other chores, a cheapo chinese carpenter hatchet with wood handle, havn't used it all that much but for $5 its in the shed if i need it, and the ferrarri of hatchets, a gransfors brucks small forest axe. it is real nice has it has been 2 years since i last sharpened it and it has held a razor sharp edge. it is super comfortable to use for all sorts of tasks it was well worth the $99 I paid for it. found it at that price from some hardware store in california that has a web site. I was so impressed with it i bought the large forest axe, it has the same great quality head but the handle is not as comfortable. my 40 year old boy scout axe is about the same size and much more comfortable to use.

The Fiskars are definitely of a softer material. For that reason I only use them for careful splitting. Other axes tackle the nasty compromising tasks and get abused, yet they hold up fine in comparison.

Them little fiskars are like $60au here, there not bad little axes, strong light handles. I don't like the metal used in the bit much, I would much prefer an older high carbon HB, GB, Plumb, Hytest, Hultofors or other quality bit then by a nice handle to hang it. Then you have a piece worthy of your grandchild to use in future generations.

Most people say the fiskars metal is soft but in reality it's harder. If you strike a stone with it the edge will chip which is a brittle fracture. If the metal was soft it would deform (ie dent) which soft malleable metals do.

Most people say the fiskars metal is soft but in reality it's harder. If you strike a stone with it the edge will chip which is a brittle fracture. If the metal was soft it would deform (ie dent) which soft malleable metals do.
Agree, sort of. Initially mine chipped but the tip must be hardened as once I wore it back a bit it just wears down and rounds off with use. Still though for how well it works for the price I'd buy one every year if I had to.

hands down my favorite hatchet is my Estwing. its my go to for any "hatchet" type work. i have a bunch of other hatchets that all work well in select situations but the Estwing takes the all around win. ive spent many evenings in the shop splitting down some soft wood for kindling in the shop or house stoves. it was razor sharp (can literally shave with it) and holds an edge very well.

I couldn't find my estwing at one point and I went out to buy another hatchet, needless to say I now have two Estwings. Not to take anything from the other brands, but they're a solid tool that you can't go wrong with.

Not a true hatchet but I'd like to get a Husqvarna s1600 I believe it is.

Oh, they definitely come sharp, sharper than the fiskars easily, I don't put too much weight into that because it'll dull eventually no matter where it starts and the fiskars has more of a wedge shape to it.

Back