Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a shear cliff on the side of the hill going up to Uncle Mikes, One winter coming down the hill with my dad behind the wheel.... On the second switch back turn.... I don't know how we didn't go off the edge. All you saw was hood and tree tops, we both gasped and then celebrated when we didn't die. I think I was 11, Ill NEVER forget that moment for the rest of my life.

Glad to hear you ok Clint, and ZOG!!!! Glad to hear from you too!

Maybe train me a new moose. The heck with gasoline engines!

Glad you’re still kickin’. Don’t know you from Adam, but you’re a tough bastard. I’ve personally seen Jeeps do quite well in wrecks. I’m not a Jeep guy, but they do real fine. My wife tagged a building last year at highway speeds in slush, and walked away.

i guess being pretty darn cheap they will have weak points. they look awesome though. unless i can scrounge up another old fashioned, large and fixed wheeled pram that is.... but modern prams arent like that unfortunately. i cant see a small, castor wheeled baby mover being up to ~4 or5x over weight loads, bouncing up and down steps and across a soft and often boggy london clay lawn!
The weak point in both of mine was the cross link "tie bar" operatingthe wheel spindles. 1/8" x 1" flat bar with a 3/4" hole drilled in both ends. Who woulda thunk that those little 1/8" sides of the holes would break!

I recommend anyone buying one to remove that tie bar and replace with sturdier stuff before using it. It's a lot easier to prevent a collapse than fix it afterwards. Of course me loading it to max capacity with heavy black locust and towing it behind the rider mower might have something to do with it :)

Been laid up for a few weeks, sure is good to be back. Broke 11 ribs and lost my "skidder". I figured it would be better to hit this beech than try and survive the ride down the mountain with no brakes and a load of oak in the back. It wasn't an accident, it was an "on purpose". It was the only choice I could see in the 8 seconds I had to make a decision. The 4' oak load shifted forward on impact and drove my seat and me into the steering wheel. I guess it was better than the 35 degree down hill ride facing me. Any way I made it.
View attachment 612595
upload_2017-11-15_5-28-9.png holy crap Clint. glad your ok. where's a spruce tree when you need it? derail this thread? NEVER !!!!!! take care buddy.

Been laid up for a few weeks, sure is good to be back. Broke 11 ribs and lost my "skidder". I figured it would be better to hit this beech than try and survive the ride down the mountain with no brakes and a load of oak in the back. It wasn't an accident, it was an "on purpose". It was the only choice I could see in the 8 seconds I had to make a decision. The 4' oak load shifted forward on impact and drove my seat and me into the steering wheel. I guess it was better than the 35 degree down hill ride facing me. Any way I made it.
View attachment 612595

Holy smokes man! I recommend the next skidder is a pickup so at least you have the wood in the box and not the cab with you. Glad you made it.

The weak point in both of mine was the cross link "tie bar" operatingthe wheel spindles. 1/8" x 1" flat bar with a 3/4" hole drilled in both ends. Who woulda thunk that those little 1/8" sides of the holes would break!

I recommend anyone buying one to remove that tie bar and replace with sturdier stuff before using it. It's a lot easier to prevent a collapse than fix it afterwards. Of course me loading it to max capacity with heavy black locust and towing it behind the rider mower might have something to do with it :)

Thanks, I'll look at that.

I recommend the next skidder is a pickup so at least you have the wood in the box and not the cab with you.
Maybe the minivan scroungers ought to consider a plywood 'headache rack' behind the seats? Might also help with sudden stops on level ground.

Philbert

Maybe the minivan scroungers ought to consider a plywood 'headache rack' behind the seats? Might also help with sudden stops on level ground.

Philbert

If you look carefully on some of my photos of a loaded car, you may make out an old headboard from a double bed, slipped behind the front seats.
It protects the backs of the seats and would catch a small 'flyer' but it sounds like Clint had his load break the seat from its rails, head board may spread a teenie bit of load to the passenger seat but doubt it would do much.

Clint, glad you survived the ordeal, hope you have a speedy recovery. For those who are not aware, he started this great thread, way back when!

When I used to haul wood in the back of the Explorer, I built a plywood bed (resembled a PU truck bed) that slid in and locked over the wheel wells. Kept me safer, and made clean ups easier (just slid it out with all the crap). Hint, the bottom can be very thin, it is supported, the front & sides must be a bit heavier.

Think I used 1/4" treated on the bottom and 1/2" for the rest of it. Kept it fairly light.

Glad you're still in one piece, Clint. Even if your ribs are still in multiple pieces. I broke a rib once. It was ouchy so I'd rather not find out what 11 feels like.

I'm sure they would have told you to do your DB+C. Much as it hurts to do, it's better than landing a chest infection which people with multiple broken ribs sitting around not doing much and breathing shallowly tend to be sitting ducks for. Take care and give yourself a chance to recover before you go doing anything too exciting.

A little bumbed. My Burnese Mountain dog is in a bad way and I don't think she will recover. Turns out she has a hypothyroid problem. Last week she lost the use of her rear legs. She's very old for a Burner, almost 13. All the research I've found says that once she starts the thyroid meds she should bounce back in a few days. I think she's just so old that the longer she's down, the harder it is to come back. Today is the first time she stood on her own since Friday, and that was only for about 30 seconds and then she fell over. Our vet has a 150 acre farm where she lives and she lets us bury our pets there. When people ask about our old pets we say they have gone to live on the farm. I'm taking her to see Doc in the morning, I hope she gets to come home, but I don't think it will happen, Joe.

View attachment 612595
Wow, just went back to see what happened. Glad your still kickin, just don't try to kick too high. Got some prayers in that you heal up fast and strong, Joe.

Back