DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busted the roller bearing that engauges the rack on my DR (again) this weekend.
Turns out there is a "update" available that DR is sending folks under warranty or not.

Don't know much more. I'll post pics when I get the parts.

Hasnt been a post here in a while...but I figured Id throw this out for anyone who didnt know, the above post is accurate...DR has an update for the ENTIRE engagement assembly.

The roller bearing on mine went "crooked" and seized up, pinned the rack in the down position and I could NOT get the handle to raise. Even after shutting down the splitter and "tapping" the handle back with an axe, the handle was actually just bending without disengaging the bearing.

Contacted DR to see about replacement parts and the service rep set me up with an entire upgraded assembly 100% free of charge...over the "chat" they have on their website no-less, never even actually spoke to the guy! Im just gonna say, outstanding service. The guy was patient while I ran in/out looking for the Serial number, and once I gave it to him he confirmed Im eligible for the upgrade, had it in the mail and showed up at my house 2-3 days later.

I installed it pretty simply, and it was a great opportunity to fully remove all parts of that "safety" lever they install on them. Im sure you all have removed it by now like I did, but I never actually removed the entire internal mechanism...I got rid of it all with the upgrade.

Its referred to as "Retrofit Kit, WR3 Handle" and comes 100% with everything you need, the only parts re-used are a few of the bigger bolts that hold it in, everything else is included and even includes a much heavier duty handle.

Anyway, Ive personally been super happy with mine and having this issue resolved so quickly by DR increased my confidence in the company/equipment.

Got a question for you guys. I've had the splitter apart for some work ever since this summer. I reassembled it last week with the upgraded linkage and a new pinion gear. Afterwards the rack wouldn't lift high enough to disengage from the pinion......without the linkage touching it. I bought another flat spring and put it all back together, same issue. Stacked both springs, nothing. So, I'm back to square one here. Do the rack/push plate return springs help leverage the rack over the pinion? That's the only thing I can come up with. The reason I replaced the pinion was excessive wear, the linkage was showing some bending had been going on. I can admit the set up wasn't kept adjusted as it should have been, but this one will be. I still like mine, even with the issues I've had.

Shea

Hi all, I have a DR Rapidfire Pro XL (34 ton equivalent) that was purchased new in the fall of 2012 (serial number WR2200XXX). To date, I’ve put around 300 face cords through it.

My previous experiences with the folks at DR were top notch prior to 2018. I have discovered that they sold out to Generac in 2018.

I previously replaced part of the handle/engagement linkage (old part 29448 - called “arm, bearing“) which bent And was causing the rack/pinion to not fully engage. The same part bent again. DR has redesigned this part (35259 - now called “arm, bushing”). The new part is way beefier. But, what I wasn’t told (even after asking) was that needed a bunch of other parts.

Since being sold to Generac, it now takes 30-40 minutes on hold to get a warm body. And now when you do get ahold of someone, they have no knowledge about the equipment, parts, etc. I obtained more information by researching between Jackssmallengine.com and DR Parts site. Their customer service people are looking at the same diagrams I am, but have no working knowledge of the equipment and the updates aren’t very clear.

On these machines, customer service is extremely important since there is no local dealer and no one stocks parts.

My next machine will be a Super Split.

Attachments

• 81013228-E058-4DBF-B8F5-B85F892BA546.jpeg
    81013228-E058-4DBF-B8F5-B85F892BA546.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • C404FDF0-E443-4B72-94D1-22E2C6930B91.jpeg
    C404FDF0-E443-4B72-94D1-22E2C6930B91.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back