Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have gotten some rain the last few days so it's been way too muddy to go to the bush or to cut rounds even. Decided I might as well cut some flat firewood. I cut the slabs up for firewood as I go but now have a guy that wants most of it so that will save me some work. This is cedar.
IMG_20171117_123651.jpg IMG_20171118_125559.jpg IMG_20171118_164858.jpg IMG_20171117_163036.jpg

Load 8 in the yard, 9 is half loaded. Mostly ash some poplar and bass wood. A little oak. I will finish 9 tomorrow. 12 is my goal.
6d60d96a164a96d17cee9e71f0638ac1.jpg
619995aa02dbc4375d54d1892ad884e2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Did this on the weekend. Hard to tell from the angle but the split pile is 25ft long, 12ft across (the base) and 4.5ft tall. Still got some rounds to split. 1/2 yellow Birch 1/2 maple.

Once it's all stacked I have a equal amount of Aspen and more maple to bring up.
what do you figure 10-12 cords????

Found another way to do my wood. Hauling it in on my dump truck. Dumping beside splitter. Parked my dump trailer on the other side of splitter. Once logs are bucked into lenths I never need to worrie about stacking until trailer is full. Since this wood is already sold I'll stack at coustmers house in their rack. IMG_20171120_151311.jpg

Stratton, the mill, 1 extension (to cut 16') and 10 blades was Can $6100. I picked it up at their showroom. Then I built the trailer. Just bought 4 trailer jacks for leveling it today.
Jr27236, the lumber is for my nephew and was a freebie. 1 call and he's there to help me anytime I need it. I spoil him abit. The slabs are for a coworker who sells wood projects on the side. Told him it's like cocaine, the 1st hit is free then once he's hooked the prices creep up. Sawmilling is not a cheap hobby either. Next year I plan to start selling some stuff like cedar mantles, ash beams and maybe ash trailer floors. Not interested in selling for furniture or anything like that, just rough stuff. Otherwise the hobby turns into a job and I have enough of them.

I h
Stratton, the mill, 1 extension (to cut 16') and 10 blades was Can $6100. I picked it up at their showroom. Then I built the trailer. Just bought 4 trailer jacks for leveling it today.
Jr27236, the lumber is for my nephew and was a freebie. 1 call and he's there to help me anytime I need it. I spoil him abit. The slabs are for a coworker who sells wood projects on the side. Told him it's like cocaine, the 1st hit is free then once he's hooked the prices creep up. Sawmilling is not a cheap hobby either. Next year I plan to start selling some stuff like cedar mantles, ash beams and maybe ash trailer floors. Not interested in selling for furniture or anything like that, just rough stuff. Otherwise the hobby turns into a job and I have enough of them.
i had a wood mizer lt15 and used to do a bit of hardwood milling as a hobby until work commitments got in the way and i sold it. Im really regretting it now

nighthunter, I thought I would like milling but the truth is I'm not really a fan. It's a lot more same old same old work. I like firewooding because I built pretty much everything myself, my splitters, grapples, wagons etc. Most of the fun was in the building and making things work. Milling is just put a log on and cut it up into little pieces. That's why I'm thinking I will just cut mantles and beams, quick and easy stuff and still make a few dollars. I like spending time in the bush but on the sawmill it's like it's a job. PS, I'm a carpenter (Supervisor mostly now) so deal with wood everyday. We'll see what spring brings.

Load 9 in the yard, mostly oak and ash, one big ironwood I think, hard to cut and super heavy. I wish we would have noticed we wanted to make a few iron wood boards just to see what it looks like.

c3a447671e2d2ebe80b521652203617a.jpg
2f9bc586ee8bfe7f3d808b51fd54d9b7.jpg

Load 9 in the yard, mostly oak and ash, one big ironwood I think, hard to cut and super heavy. I wish we would have noticed we wanted to make a few iron wood boards just to see what it looks like.

c3a447671e2d2ebe80b521652203617a.jpg
2f9bc586ee8bfe7f3d808b51fd54d9b7.jpg

Well, you still can. They'll just be short boards.

nighthunter, I thought I would like milling but the truth is I'm not really a fan. It's a lot more same old same old work. I like firewooding because I built pretty much everything myself, my splitters, grapples, wagons etc. Most of the fun was in the building and making things work. Milling is just put a log on and cut it up into little pieces. That's why I'm thinking I will just cut mantles and beams, quick and easy stuff and still make a few dollars. I like spending time in the bush but on the sawmill it's like it's a job. PS, I'm a carpenter (Supervisor mostly now) so deal with wood everyday. We'll see what spring brings.
i liked to independent with the mill and i also made a few mantles for a customer ment i had to get into the woods to find the trees,cut and drag it out , put it on the mill and work it to make the most out of the tree while also getting paid to do what i like thats why im trying to get set up on a chainsaw mill

Latest posts

Back