Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived around wolves much of my life, The things I personally have seen them do, would make most folks cringe!

Our ancestors got it right! They had the wolves under control and I have no problem getting them back that way, any way we can!

SR
Agree completely.

I was born shortly after the wolf bounty ended. We were outdoor people yet I never even saw a wolf in the wild until I was 11 years old. They were around but knew their place and kept their distance.

The deer hunting was fantastic back then and moose numbers were steady. Now deer are way down, moose are nearly gone, and wolves are everywhere.

To get this thread back on track, I milled a hard maple for a friend today, he left behind a couple of the boards for me,

standard.jpg

Anyway, I "ran" all the rest of the lumber with my tractor,

standard.jpg

to his truck, where he loaded it,

standard.jpg

and left with some very nice 5/4 maple!

SR

Mother Nature has been on a hell of a mood swing lately.

This morning it was -5*. Car wouldn't start, finally got that going. Processor wouldn't start, had to put a heater on it, then the dumptruck wouldn't start (I forgot the dump bed lower switch on and it drained the battery.
The car is a real moody bit3$ when it gets down to negative temps unless I plug it in and I didn't (was in the 20s when I went to bed around midnight). Dunno what the deal was with the procesor. It would start, run 2-3 seconds and quit. Oil pressure switch maybe? It's never giving me trouble before though.

Got all dressed up, all the junk warmed up, and before I know it, it's 30* and the wind is blowing 30mph. Dealt with that Saturday too, only 50+ mph winds. Started up in the AM and like a switch, boom, calm as could be by late afternoon.

Sure makes processing wood a pain. Have already had to throw down tire chains twice now, once I my small dumptruck and once on the log truck. Probably going to haul 2 or 3 loads this week, so that means humping chains too many times!

Here's a full cord of white oak in my F250. Curb weight is very light on this truck (300 I6, 2wd, single cab, 5 speed, 1/4 tank of gas), so I'm either legal or just over the limit, but not by much.

View attachment 613305

That 300 six is an awesome motor. You can't kill them. Stump pulling torque like a diesel. Nice rig!!

That 300 six is an awesome motor. You can't kill them. Stump pulling torque like a diesel. Nice rig!!

It's been a great truck. Only left me stranded once (in my own driveway) when the fuel tank switch failed 5 years ago. Then, just last week the water pump went out, but I was luckily only a mile from home. Otherwise it's been 100% reliable. Not a speed demon by any means, but with 4.10 gears in the back and the granny low first gear, I can get up the hill eventually. I've towed some bigger trailers than I should have, and it doesn't complain. My tractor on my deckover is in the 10k range, 55-60 on the highway in 4th is about all I can hope for.

Love how it's barely squatting too

You still have cab corners. Was this a southern truck?

Thanks Steve, (assuming you mean my truck). I bought it in Washington state. I don't drive it much in the winter, but I've been meaning to get a coat of fluid film on the underside, and some wax on the body. It deserves it. Maybe when I do the water pump.

I'd like to add some over loads or air bags, but I'm also considering swapping to a newer 4x4 with an automatic and an extra cab, so we'll see which happens first.

Such a nice day here in Ohio AND I took the week off from the day job so it was some stress relief time. After lunch went up in the woods and got a load of standing dead ash.

MVC-001S_4.JPG

The mighty 1/2 ton is still going. LOL Had to get out some and play as it has been a while. Honestly don't know how much we have now but we are down quite a bit. Still have over 100 cord under roof but don't have exact figures for you. Our 80 cord storage shed got taken out by a mini tornado so we are unloading it currently.

MVC-002S_3.JPG

This is at my place so it's straight to the stove. Trees have been standing dead for about 3 years.

..... Still have over 100 cord under roof but don't have exact figures for you. Our 80 cord storage shed got taken out by a mini tornado so we are unloading it currently....

Ok ... we need pic's of thaaaat!!!

I thought I had a lil storage problem with a couple 25c rows ....

Keep on .... Runnin' Loads....!!!

Ok ... we need pic's of thaaaat!!!

I thought I had a lil storage problem with a couple 25c rows ....

Keep on .... Runnin' Loads....!!!

MVC-003S_1.JPG

MVC-001S_3.JPG

MVC-019S_20.JPG

MVC-021S_9.JPG

MVC-006S_2.JPG

Dad in front to give some scale.

MVC-001S_9.JPG

Barn at my place that wind got too. I'm redoing this barn and got it safe again but moved the wood out. There was about 35 cord there.

shed2.JPG

80 cord shed. We filled/emptied this one twice. It is totaled now.

MVC-008S.JPG

Wind got this shed 3 times since we first fixed it up. Just in a wind tunnel I guess and broke nearly every post. Too bad to fix it back.

MVC-009S.JPG

Only reason it still semi standing is that it is leaning on the stack. It's stacked about 8 1/2 ft high.

Back