Surplus Center 18.75 wheel/band size question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed1

Reaction score
When I started researching to start my homemade bandsaw mill build, I found a discussion on here from 2012. I ended up buying the Surplus Center 18.75 wheels that a user suggested. When I went to buy bands I hit a speedbump. In that post he recommend using 1 1/4" bands. I got to thinking the width of those wheels is more narrow, so I looked up the specs and sure enough the Surplus Center wheels are 7/8" wide. Isn't there an issue with a band being 3/8" wider than the wheel? I'm certainly no expert, but I'd think you'd want the band completely supported by the wheel. Is that not correct? Can someone who uses these wheels give me some education on the size bands I should be using?

I agree with SR - I used Browning poly-v sheaves on mine, 24" dia., the poly-v belt is cemented into the grooves, the top surface is 1" wide. I use 1 1/4 blades, no problem. Even used a free 1 1/2 on it that worked fine too -

Ok, thanks guys! I watched a video of a guy selling blade guides talking about setup. He said the best position of the blade on the wheel was for the gulet to be in the center of the tire, then you wouldn't have tracking issues. So it really worried me that my blade was too wide.

You don't want the teeth running on the wheels as it will tend to straighten the set.

I don't recall width on tge WM wheels, but they aren't all that wide. Can push nax engine hp (about 45hp I believe) to the blade without it slipping.

Thanks guys. I've decided I'm going to start out trying the back of the band flush with the side of the wheel and go from there.

Latest posts

Back