Confused in New Zealand - Equivalent to Dolmar PS-35C? Or go larger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Error

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings from Whangarei, New Zealand, land of the Expensively priced Chainsaws.

I'm looking for a chainsaw to cut around 4 cords (14 cubic metres?) of wood per year to supply my family on a yearly basis. I can get as much wood as I like from a mates place who has plenty of trees that he needs thinning out. Most of the trees are less than 30cm in diameter. he has a petrol driven log splitter. He has a mixture of hard and soft wood.

I was watching this video posted here already and the guy is using a Dolmar PS-35C

It looks solid as. I like that it's light and seems very powerful and well built. What would be it's equivalent from the range listed here in NZ please? It has a two year warranty, which I think is good enough.

I'm guessing it's equivalent would be either the EA3600F which is only 4.2kg ( 9.23 lbs ) and a or the EA3502S which is 4.4kg ( 9.7 lbs ) and has a larger fuel/oil capacity. Do either of these have anti-vibration?

All the Makita range:
https://www.makita.co.nz/products/***-chainsaw/

I have to say that after reading on here about the EA6100 (Dolmar 6100) I'm almost tempted to get that instead as it looks like a beast of a chainsaw and is good value for money in New Zealand. I was thinking about investing in that at a later stage, or would I be better off to go large and save my back. I'm 50 but I do do a lot of physical work so I'm not unfit. I just like the idea of a lightweight chainsaw. But something that can handle the work.

There's one BIG PROBLEM. There are no Makita Dealers or Service people in Northland. The closest are in Auckland.

I also really like the CS-590 and this is probably the best chainsaw dealer in Whangarei (I don't want Stihl sorry. No offense) and I'd buy from them, but they don't sell Makita. If there is something as good there, I'd buy it. I love the 5 year warranties on the echo's.

http://regentlawnmowers.co.nz/category/Chainsaws?p=1

So, as you've probably guessed, I don't really know what I want. I'm also a novice, but will be getting lessons form my mate as to how best to handle a chainsaw.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT. Sorry. US$1 is around NZ$0.70 cents.

So I believe the 3502 is equivalent to the former Dolmar PS-35. The 3600 is definitely the former PS-352 (available in Europe) or the same as the Makita 3601 sold in America. To my knowledge the 35 is an older, heavier chassis versus the redesigned (and more powerful) 3600.

I have a 3601 and love it. It's arguably the top sub 40 cc saw ever made.

You wouldn’t regret the 6100 and most Makita Parts would be Dolmar interchangeable. The CS-590 with a muffler mod and carb retune is a monster and would leave a few hundred New Zealand dollars in your pocket. I have both Makita and Echo CS-590, I’m no pro but IMHO you would love either saw.

You wouldn’t regret the 6100 and most Makita Parts would be Dolmar interchangeable. The CS-590 with a muffler mod and carb retune is a monster and would leave a few hundred New Zealand dollars in your pocket. I have both Makita and Echo CS-590, I’m no pro but IMHO you would love either saw.

Thanks. The CS-590 is NZ$1199.00 & the 6100 is the same price ($1195). I gather from reading here that the 6100 would be the better value based on NZ prices. Can they both be modded?

So I believe the 3502 is equivalent to the former Dolmar PS-35. The 3600 is definitely the former PS-352 (available in Europe) or the same as the Makita 3601 sold in America. To my knowledge the 35 is an older, heavier chassis versus the redesigned (and more powerful) 3600.

I have a 3601 and love it. It's arguably the top sub 40 cc saw ever made.

I read that as you saying the 3600 is the new, better model. The 3500 is heavier at 4.4kg. The 3600 is only 4.2kg. The 3500 is listed below at NZ$429 & the 3600 at $529. I guess I was confused by the 3600's smaller fuel capacity, but that maybe suggests it's more efficient than the 3500? The 3600 is looking good.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livi...-power-tools/chainsaws/auction-1475835404.htm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livi...-power-tools/chainsaws/auction-1475835406.htm

It's my Sunday here, so tomorrow I'll call Makita NZ and ask, but I can only find one 3600 for sale in the country. and that's sold by the guy in those two links above. I'd prefer buying from a dealer if I can.

There's four pages of Chainsaws listed here (Echo's, Huskvana, Shindiawa). What would be a good alternate choice please: http://regentlawnmowers.co.nz/category/Chainsaws?p=1 (That business is actually right next to where i work)

Thanks.

Downtown Tools sell and service makita and are a pretty good crowd to deal with.

Do you need a warranty or are you willing to take a chance on a makita/dolmar saw from overseas knowing there will be no effective warranty but parts are easy to get online if ever you need them?

Only one of the saws I currently have was bought in NZ. The rest were bought from overseas people I trust and have had good dealings with.

Also, are you worried about which brand, or just that it's a proven good saw at a good price?

Downtown Tools sell and service makita and are a pretty good crowd to deal with.

Do you need a warranty or are you willing to take a chance on a makita/dolmar saw from overseas knowing there will be no effective warranty but parts are easy to get online if ever you need them?

Only one of the saws I currently have was bought in NZ. The rest were bought from overseas people I trust and have had good dealings with.

Also, are you worried about which brand, or just that it's a proven good saw at a good price?

Ordinarily I'd order online, but I'm needing a chainsaw this week. Thanks for the heads up about downtown tools. I also found Whangarei Chainsaw and Mower services on Porowini. They don't list anything at all on their website, but are Makita stockists.

http://www.whangareichainsawandmowers.co.nz/

I'll try them both this week.

I'm not worried about the brand, but figured a Dolmar (Makita) would be a good start and lot's of advice online and parts. If I like it, I'll probably get a 6100 next year. Or maybe Xmas :surprised3:

I'll be needing some chaps too. Do you know if Downtown like to haggle?

Ordinarily I'd order online, but I'm needing a chainsaw this week. Thanks for the heads up about downtown tools. I also found Whangarei Chainsaw and Mower services on Porowini. They don't list anything at all on their website, but are Makita stockists.

http://www.whangareichainsawandmowers.co.nz/

I'll try them both this week.

I'm not worried about the brand, but figured a Dolmar (Makita) would be a good start and lot's of advice online and parts. If I like it, I'll probably get a 6100 next year. Or maybe Xmas :surprised3:

I'll be needing some chaps too. Do you know if Downtown like to haggle?
Those guys down Porowini had quite a few dolmars when I was last in there. To be honest, I don't head there often. Have had less than stellar experiences (two to be exact) there in the past. I've not haggled with downtown but did find their pricing fair for NZ and haven't had any bad experiences there.

A pity you can't wait (or borrow a saw for) the week or two it takes to get a saw in because the deals are pretty good. That said, when you need a saw, ya need a saw.

Those guys down Porowini had quite a few dolmars when I was last in there. To be honest, I don't head there often. Have had less than stellar experiences (two to be exact) there in the past. I've not haggled with downtown but did find their pricing fair for NZ and haven't had any bad experiences there.

A pity you can't wait (or borrow a saw for) the week or two it takes to get a saw in because the deals are pretty good. That said, when you need a saw, ya need a saw.

Unfortunately I do. I'll probably get the 6100 from overseas. Or whatever seems the better deal when I do. Who do you recommend?

I read that as you saying the 3600 is the new, better model. The 3500 is heavier at 4.4kg. The 3600 is only 4.2kg. The 3500 is listed below at NZ$429 & the 3600 at $529. I guess I was confused by the 3600's smaller fuel capacity, but that maybe suggests it's more efficient than the 3500? The 3600 is looking good.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livi...-power-tools/chainsaws/auction-1475835404.htm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livi...-power-tools/chainsaws/auction-1475835406.htm

It's my Sunday here, so tomorrow I'll call Makita NZ and ask, but I can only find one 3600 for sale in the country. and that's sold by the guy in those two links above. I'd prefer buying from a dealer if I can.

There's four pages of Chainsaws listed here (Echo's, Huskvana, Shindiawa). What would be a good alternate choice please: http://regentlawnmowers.co.nz/category/Chainsaws?p=1 (That business is actually right next to where i work)

Thanks.
Correct, the 3600 is newer, lighter, and more powerful. If you do a muffler mod it will cut alongside any 40cc saw and most 50 cc homeowner saws.

Here's its American cousin.
IMG_0114.JPG

Go as large/semi pro as you can afford with the saws weight in mind, and remember pro loggers/fellers/foresters aint " other dimension superheroes" even though we want the sheilas and smart ass guys to believe so, but we handle 60 -90 cc saws with LONG bars ALL day , so if we can, a kiwi like you, surely could do that too with 45-60 cc saw . You got a rather diverse dealer of outdoor power equip locally i Whangerei
Stop by and See if he hasnt a good offer on a husqvarna in the 50 cc class for you or Maybe this: http://regentlawnmowers.co.nz/product/21-Echo-CS550-Chainsaw

Or Maybe this ? regentlawnmowers.co.nz/product/30-Hus

Personaly I would choose the Makita 4301 over any of you other options. The saw is truely pro built with all the goodies (easy start, etc.)and will last you probably a lifetime.
https://www.makita.co.nz/products/model/EA4301F

The 6100 is clearly a much better saw than the 590.

Good to know. I saw it today. It's actually not as heavy as I thought it would be.

For the same money!!!! Hands down the 6100.

It was on special today. Price down to $1095 (US$752). I'm pretty sure Downtown tools would have dropped that a bit more as well, or thrown some stuff in to sweeten the deal.

Go as large/semi pro as you can afford with the saws weight in mind, and remember pro loggers/fellers/foresters aint " other dimension superheroes" even though we want the sheilas and smart ass guys to believe so, but we handle 60 -90 cc saws with LONG bars ALL day , so if we can, a kiwi like you, surely could do that too with 45-60 cc saw . You got a rather diverse dealer of outdoor power equip locally i Whangerei
Stop by and See if he hasnt a good offer on a husqvarna in the 50 cc class for you or Maybe this: http://regentlawnmowers.co.nz/product/21-Echo-CS550-Chainsaw

Or Maybe this ? regentlawnmowers.co.nz/product/30-Hus

It's pretty dense bush (non-covenented) and I know with the larger chainsaw I'll be getting myself in trouble. We're going to thin it so the others can grow better. There's a lot of dead stuff in there as well.

I made my purchase this morning....

I got the 3600 and I really like it.
I paid $485 (US$335) which is a lot better than the $529 I was expecting and he threw in some 2 stroke oil. I've got it running, but haven't cut anything with it yet. I'm stoked. Only problem is...

Correct, the 3600 is newer, lighter, and more powerful. If you do a muffler mod it will cut alongside any 40cc saw and most 50 cc homeowner saws.

Here's its American cousin.
View attachment 614881

It's not orange :(

---------------------------

How much is a 6100 from overseas including delivery. I'm now feeling tempted into buying that $1095 6100. It seemed so lonely sitting there in that shop.

I'm going to give the 3600 a run in this weekend, but I'll now be looking on this forum for ideas as to how best to modify it. Tempting.

-----

Thanks so much everyone. Your prompt and timely advice has been greatly appreciated.

Congratulation! Any quality choice in your requires power range from a quality company is a good choice!

That 3600 at $335 isn't but a few dollars more than what we pay in the States. 6100 at $1095=$766us so again that isn't much more than we pay. Current list on a 6100 here is $689 with a MAP of $639. I don't think it's worth the savings to import from the states at those prices

Now you've got a small saw, I'll throw a spanner in the works and suggest you look at the 7910. It's a wonderful saw and not much heavier than the 6100. You'll be surprised how useful it is for cutting rings for firewood. You can mow through the logs and it will keep your options open for when you get into larger trees. Once people know you've got a capable bigger saw, the wood just seems to find you.

I'll be rolling through on my way to the Far North in about a week or two. Could always swing by and you can run my 7900 to get a feel for that class of saw. I think you'll be surprised how non-scary and useful the 79cc Dolmar/Makita saws are.

*edit*
Keep an eye on this listing on trademe. If you can get it for the start price and it is indeed unused and only a year old (and no fuel lines/seals/diaphragms bunged up or hard) you've got a bargain.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-...restry/chainsaws-parts/auction-1476450557.htm

I've just added another saw to my collection in NZ, a new Oleo Mac GS650. Pro saw, 65cc, decomp, metal case, runs from 20 to 28 inch bar. Solid saw, in my humble opinion Oleo Mac are as good as Stihl or Husky, and you can buy this GS650 for $992 brand new on TradeMe. The Stihl equivalent would be double the price here.

I've had a few Oleo Mac saws, and they have been faultless..here in NZ we simply pay a premium for the Stihl or Husky name. As Kiwibro mentioned pity you couldn't use a saw for a few days...your trees are small, but so are the saws you are looking at..personally I wonder if a pro 60ish cc saw would be better? Certainly cut faster and be more durable..I cut a lot of trees for family firewood too, and although the 35ish cc saws are nice for limbing, its just so nice having more power and cutting ability of a bigger saw.

Have a look at user chainsawsdirect on TradeMe if you want to see some Oleo Mac.
Just my 2c though, up to you. Good luck and be safe!

I have also had very good experience with oleo mac = efco!
... As Kiwibro mentioned pity you couldn't use a saw for a few days...your trees are small, but so are the saws you are looking at..personally I wonder if a pro 60ish cc saw would be better? Certainly cut faster and be more durable..I cut a lot of trees for family firewood too, and although the 35ish cc saws are nice for limbing, its just so nice having more power and cutting ability of a bigger saw....
I personaly differ in experience. The different cutting speeds on smaller wood is so small compared between smaller & larger cc saws that, in my eyes, it is a total waste to even start the larger cc saw and burn more gas for nothing.

Back