Ultrasonic cleaner timer hack.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Chinese. It's only a matter of time before mine overheats and fries itself in stock form, as it is.

I bought one, it doesn't work well at all. Dishwasher works much better, don't even need to use soap. Or the parts tank, or even brake cleaner.

BTW don't use solvent in it, it ruins the cheap plastic lid.

what is the link to the timer hack on the larger one? searched with no luck.
Use a momentary switch and wire like the pix for the large HF usc.

MVC-449F.jpg

MVC-448F.jpg

use only the switch to start cleaner,,use off button to shut down

P1110035.JPG
Finally got around to installing a switch per roncoinc's photo. I had to use a "push on/push off" switch as the momentary switch only operated the cleaner while I held it on. This now works great!
Thanks everyone for all your help.

Doug

I just bypassed the switch by hardwiring the two solder points. Plug it in, it goes on. Unplug it, it goes off. Heater still works as usual. Set and On buttons still affect the counter until it reaches 000 but essentially do nothing else functionally. Off is non-functional.

(And the momentary switch needs to an 'on' switch in its default position.)

Well it appears they changed the circuitry over the years.
used to be connecting those two points the " on " circuit would " latch " on.
they must have found a cheaper way to build it . :)
glad you guys figured it out.
mine stihl works fine after all these years.

I can still use mine with either the timer or the on/off switch, but it's one or the other. When I'm working in the area I use the on/off switch while I'm down there and go to the 480 sec timer when I think I'd otherwise leave it on all night.

roncoinc, How long have you left your cleaner w/o adult supervision? The water in the basin gets comfortably warm when I run it for 45 min or so; that's as long as I've let it run w/o a rest.

FWIW, I now let mine go for a couple of hours without issue. There's still the thermal switch that turns off the heater after a period of time but the unit still stays hot for quite a while (a good hour or so) afterward. The heater needs to be turned back on via the switch after it cools down below the thermal threshold (as would normally be the case). Doesn't just come back on automatically after the thermal switch deactivates. In other words, my particular approach to just bypassing the on/off switch did not affect the heater function.

f2qd4Xn.jpg

for the larger unit if the board is the same on the back.
Im trying to hack my cleaner too so I temporarily jumped (soldered together) red and white wire as on pic and looks like on/off button turns it on and timer display not counts down, it stays still wile unit is working. I only tried for few secs because Im not sure if this is proper wiring and I dont want to burn anything. If anybody can confirm its OK, I will install switch for those two wires. Or maybe there other better way to bypass timer. Here are some pics

Attachments

• DSCN9017.JPG
    DSCN9017.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN9018.JPG
    DSCN9018.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN9023.JPG
    DSCN9023.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 19
Not really like in post 31, but often color coding are the same in similar units so I tried to jump the same colored wires to see if it will give the same effect. So far it looks like it is. Also wires layout is in the same order, only difference is that I dont have green one. White wire traces to left/3rd from bottom leg on IC on pic #3
This is my model
http://www.brookstone.com/pd/ultrasonic-jewelry-cleaner-and-dvd-cleaner/606376p.html
https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Jewelry-Cleaner-DVD/dp/B002MBBZ0O

Thank you guys for putting some photos back into the thread!
Along with information about more models.

I have the basic/small unit from Harbor Freight.
probably 9~10 years old, that has quit working.
IF I decide to tear into it, I'll post what I find also.

2023 update: 2.5L harbor freight central machinery ultrasonic cleaner. The two leads marked with sharpie are the ones to connect. I used a single rocker switch.

Attachments

• PXL_20230904_164844875.jpg
    PXL_20230904_164844875.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230904_164852324.jpg
    PXL_20230904_164852324.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230904_170342608.jpg
    PXL_20230904_170342608.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back