Got a thumbs up today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove stick for a long time and I really like it but the wife couldn't figure it out. I like the control in the snow and when accelerating or getting into over drive. I'm going to try to find one for my next truck but I'm sure I won't be able to. Lazy people these days.

Correct me if I am wrong, but i am pretty sure you can't even get a manual transmission on a new Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. What is this world coming to? I like to pick my own gears.

A Friend of mine who is a mechanic, said that Dodge, was the last one to offer a manual tranny in a 1 ton pick up, and to the best of his knowledge, even Dodge has discontinued the Manual transmission in 1 ton and lighter trucks. As far as he knows, a stick is still an option with Ford in the F450 and heavier, but that may have changed as well by now.

It is NOT because of Lazy people, it is about EMISSIONS, a computer with the automatic can control the shift timing, and it can't with the manual, it is almost all about meeting CAFE(Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency) requirements. There are not as MANY people ordering manual transmissions any more, but there was still a demand for them.

Doug

I just checked Fords web site. No manual transmissions availibke for F250s with a Diesel engine.
Manual X/MIS. are not an option in any ford P/Us.Total B/S in my opinion!.In '06 I ordered a F250 ext.cab (XL) with manual everything.6 spd.ZF X/MIS,manual X/FER case,manual hubs and crank windows.That X/MIS ,in my opinion is the best X/MIS ever put in a domestic P/U.When I ordered there were none availiable locally.That truck was brought to Malone,NY from Claremont,NH.

Don't need manual gearboxes anymore..1/2 ton truck's making 400+ HP and 450 tq...diesels make 450 Hp and damn near 1'000 tq.. The auto in my new Powerstroke can be controlled just about anyway you want and works great with heavy loads when used in conjunction with the engine brake and tow mode.

Hell , my truck has 3:31 gears and will pull a Bobcat S250 & Rockhound sitting on a 5,500 lbs. equipment trailer like it's nothing. From what I remember it was around 14,500 lbs. and the truck is stock and I got between 10-12 mpg from Cincy to southern a Kentucky.

Don't need manual gearboxes anymore..1/2 ton truck's making 400+ HP and 450 tq...diesels make 450 Hp and damn near 1'000 tq.. The auto in my new Powerstroke can be controlled just about anyway you want and works great with heavy loads when used in conjunction with the engine brake and tow mode.

Hell , my truck has 3:31 gears and will pull a Bobcat S250 & Rockhound sitting on a 5,500 lbs. equipment trailer like it's nothing. From what I remember it was around 14,500 lbs. and the truck is stock and I got between 10-12 mpg from Cincy to southern a Kentucky.

Want/Need, is a subjective matter some PREFER a Manual transmission, if YOU don't want a manual, that is fine for YOU, You are paying for your truck, get what YOU prefer, some of us WANT Manual trannys.

Plain and Simple, a Manual is a Stronger, less troublesome transmission. A Manual transmission DOESN'T add any Heat load to the cooling system when pulling 10,000+# up 7 MILES of 6% grade on 100+ degree days, and YES, we do encounter those conditions here out West.

A Manual transmission can be roll started, an automatic CAN'T, that can make the difference between an inconvenient situation and a BAD situation out in the woods.

Some people simply aren't GOOD ENOUGH drivers to handle a manual, some are too Lazy to drive a stick, some CAN, but PREFER NOT TO, but the Buyer should have the CHOICE, of what best suits THEIR NEEDS/WANTS.

The EPA Essentially banning them by CAFE requirements, if not by Law, is ********.

Doug

My last manual tranny came in my 1 ton 1998 chevy single axle regular cab truck. It was awesome. I used to have a very large snowplow route and it was great for plowing snow. Some of my friends used to give me crap, but you could always get a new clutch from any auto parts store and 5 hrs latter be on the road again. You sure can't say that about an automatic! I've since had to "upgrade" to an automatic, and fortunately had no issues, but I dump the 3 1/2 quarts of tranny fluid from the pan after each snowstorm and change the filter in the fall before putting into service.

Been looking at trucks for a while and had become disgusted at the cost of new and just couldn't find anything used I felt good about. My son in law had been looking also. He found 2 I thought were outstanding values. He bought a 2001 F450 4x4 dually with a 7.3 for $5500. The kicker was it only had 30,000 miles on it. Shortly after finding the F450 he came in with an 2006 f350 4x4 dually 5.4 gas burner with 60,000 miles. He bought this one for $2800. I convinced him he didn't need both so I got the 7.3. It's ugly as sin and my wife hates it, but I can do a lot of repair and upgrades for what I could have paid. It has a utility bed that's coming off for a flatbed. I really like the flatbed cause it has a big jackass head on each side of the headache rack. My wife don't like them either.

Want/Need, is a subjective matter some PREFER a Manual transmission, if YOU don't want a manual, that is fine for YOU, You are paying for your truck, get what YOU prefer, some of us WANT Manual trannys.

Plain and Simple, a Manual is a Stronger, less troublesome transmission. A Manual transmission DOESN'T add any Heat load to the cooling system when pulling 10,000+# up 7 MILES of 6% grade on 100+ degree days, and YES, we do encounter those conditions here out West.

A Manual transmission can be roll started, an automatic CAN'T, that can make the difference between an inconvenient situation and a BAD situation out in the woods.

Some people simply aren't GOOD ENOUGH drivers to handle a manual, some are too Lazy to drive a stick, some CAN, but PREFER NOT TO, but the Buyer should have the CHOICE, of what best suits THEIR NEEDS/WANTS.

The EPA Essentially banning them by CAFE requirements, if not by Law, is ********.

Doug

You've confused your opinion and preference with facts.

The reason manufactures don't offer manual tranny's is there no demand for them anymore. The modern auto is superior in every way .. almost all heavy/commercial equipment is going the way of the auto. Just the reduction in shock to the rest of the vehicle that a auto offers is worth the heat you have to address. My sons a diesel equipment mech.,my dads a retired Cummins mech. and owner of a small trucking Co..and I even spent 4 years as a apprentice master mech. so I've seen my share of exploded gearboxes... The little 4BT/6BT/ISB Cummins in stock form can destroy a NV4500/5600 with just a little too much hard shifting. Dodge had been the lone holdout with the manual and they where only offered in detuned trucks because they got tired of warranting all the busted transmissions/transfercases/driveshafts and ring&pinions.

owning both a 2000 F250 7.3l 6 speed manual bought new and a 2017 f350 dually 6.7l. let me start by saying there is no comparison. the new truck is far better, no comparison. the auto is awesome, you cannot do a better job shifting a manual. the new has two auto modes and a manual mode and you can also cancel the top gears so it will not shift past the gear selected. Also with the exhaust brake and tow haul mode put your foot on the brake with integrated trailer brake, it stands on its nose! Don't get me wrong I like my gear jammer, but the new one is way better, the power is insane. Hauled my fifth wheel camper to Tennessee from Michigan. set the cruise control and go, pulled the hills without down shifting, no B.S. could not believe it.

Not true. My Dodge works around my place and works hard. No tow mirrors here. If I'm driving it the bed is loaded. I also take it off-road to the desert. I'm amazed at how well it does crawling around the rocks in 4 low.

Here's a picture of how I come home with firewood:

IMG_1394_zps8f0f8338.jpg

Truck is great but LOVE the trailer!!

Doug
I agree with nearly all you wrote.However I've never heard Ford say that emissions or CAFE requirements caused them to eliminate manual X/MIS from their P/U line.Manuals are still avaliable in mustangs and at least one other small ford.Ford said manuals amounted to about 2% of sales of P/U trucks.Also that manual X/MIS suitable for P/U could not handle the torque from the new engines.I don't doubt the 2% sales info but "not able to handle the torque" is hogwash.If buyers can't find a truck with a manual, they can't buy one.If Ford or GM or Fiat doesn't want to sell trucks with manuals all they have to do is not make them.

I sit here and try to figure out how I'm going to buy a truck from the 90s and early 2000s for the rest of my life. I have an 06 with 170k on it Idk what's next. At some point I'll have to buy an all computer controlled truck with no key. Ugh.

Dodge ( I'm sorry Ram) is the only way to get a manual in a new diesel. I've got a 2006 Cummins with the hand shaker. Best truck ever! Had an auto diesel and they just suck in the mountains out west.

IMG_0348.JPG

Back