Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that buddy. Was just joking about not being here. Still want to meet up sometime when things settle down

I totally get the joke, no hard feelings. I feel a bit cruddy suddenly laying that out like that, but I suppose I just needed to get that off of my chest... Sorry about that :(

Sorry to hear that, multifaceted.

Thank you, svk. Life goes on...

I came across a youtuber called Skillcult last week, and have enjoyed a few of his videos. I haven't tried it but thought maybe some of you gents might be interested in how he makes protective wraps for handles from rawhide

that's part 1, there's a part 2 where he gets it done rather than talks about it, and part 3 you see the finished item and he talks some more. Of possible relevance right now (as it seems form the scrounge thread you guys are in hunting season), in part 3 he mentions an idea of skinning a dear lower leg and using the tube of hide rather than stitching a piece as he does here. Anyway, hope some of you like his video and ideas.

He has lots of other videos on different axes too

Edit: with link to the right video this time i hope...not the advert!

Sorry to hear the news. My Dad was my best friend, and the strongest man I ever met. Prostate cancer got him. The last 6 months were bad as he got weaker. I was the executor of my Mom's estate. She was so healthy up to her death that no one new any of her business. She was 87 and had a 65 year old boy friend. People used to talk trash about him for going with an old gal like Mom. But, when he found out that she blew almost 100K on an African scam, he stuck by her and made sure she never needed anything. Maybe after new years I can get up there and share one of those cold beers with you, Joe.

I came across a youtuber called Skillcult last week, and have enjoyed a few of his videos. I haven't tried it but thought maybe some of you gents might be interested in how he makes protective wraps for handles from rawhide

that's part 1, there's a part 2 where he gets it done rather than talks about it, and part 3 you see the finished item and he talks some more. Of possible relevance right now (as it seems form the scrounge thread you guys are in hunting season), in part 3 he mentions an idea of skinning a dear lower leg and using the tube of hide rather than stitching a piece as he does here. Anyway, hope some of you like his video and ideas.

He has lots of other videos on different axes too

Edit: with link to the right video this time i hope...not the advert!

I really like SkillCult (Steven Edholm) and his cordwood challenge! When it comes to axe knowledge and use, his videos stand out. I like the rawhide idea as a protective collar, but I find that simple paracord seems to hold up pretty well if wound tightly enough.

Sorry to hear the news. My Dad was my best friend, and the strongest man I ever met. Prostate cancer got him. The last 6 months were bad as he got weaker. I was the executor of my Mom's estate. She was so healthy up to her death that no one new any of her business. She was 87 and had a 65 year old boy friend. People used to talk trash about him for going with an old gal like Mom. But, when he found out that she blew almost 100K on an African scam, he stuck by her and made sure she never needed anything. Maybe after new years I can get up there and share one of those cold beers with you, Joe.

My old man was a difficult person to love. We got along about as often as we didn't, but he was still my dad. Hadn't seen him in nearly four years, never got to "bury the hatchet" with him before he went. He always had an affinity to anything with an edge, be it a knife, or striking/cutting implement. I saved some of his ashes and plan to fold some of him into a forge weld to make a knife or an axe sometime in the future. I even found his old little McCulloch "Mini Mac" chainsaw and got it running again after 25+ years of sitting in a basement. Still need to replace the fuel lines because it leaks, but put a new bar and chain, got the carb tuned and she's screaming.

Yes I'm really glad I stumbled across his channel, I hope he does well. I find him intelligent, thinks through his comments and explains his views, no 'axe to grind', informative - clearly knows his stuff, and has a pleasant relaxed and relaxing manner.

In part 3 he discusses a few alternatives and cloth or thin cord glued in place seem a neat option.

He's okay. I like most of his content but he can go on for half an hour about why he doesn't like an axe or hatchet that he has never used. I feel like sometimes he can't get past the fact that these tools are more than just bush craft items.

How do you guys strip paint/varnish from axe handles? Coarse sandpaper? Sander? I have a little house axe with some pretty tired white paint on the handle. I want to strip that off and rub it down with BLO. Just sounds like a lot of work to hand sand it all off.

Personally, I dislike varnish or paint of any kind on a wooden handle. To remove varnish or paint, I'll often use a spokeshave. It's quick, and if you set the blades low enough - won't take too much material off. You'll have to read the grain so not to pull chunks out while shaving. Using a 4-In-Hand rasp/file is useful as a supplementary tool. This would be a good time to gauge the handle thickness and further sculpt the grip and purchase. As an example, if your axe is buried in a log and you can't bend the handle with two fingers and moderate pressure - it's too stiff. One of the main reasons hickory is prized for axe handles is for hardness AND its elasticity. There are harder woods commonly available, but few offer the balance of strength and elasticity like Hickory.

After the varnish is removed, use some coarse grain 60 or 80 grit sandpaper to smooth out rough edges, then finish with 180 grit before applying BLO.

..Or at least that how I like to do it! :D

Nice. I'll have to look up that spokeshave.

Pretty handy for general woodworking, as well as axe restoration Heck, I even recently used it to shave the tops of some doors that were sticking....

I wish I had an older one, but I picked one of these up a few for a few bucks years ago on Amazon

I used 80 grit by hand on my stilleto hammer with axe handle then burnt it, then blo ,has a nice feel now ,used to be my beater hammer to dig weeds with the waffle head was trashed so ground it smooth,i cleaned up the rest of the head also ,now i grab it often over the newer looking hammers.

This weekend I got a rush of motivation to clear my mind of the day to day.... I hung two axes, and an 8 lb sledge hammer. The metal was touched up and treated on all, and all three handles needed considerable woodworking to get it where I like. Two of these are prized pieces, and will post pictures as soon as the the oil is dried and edges are sharpened and honed. I'm starting to run out of room to put up my axes, seems as if I might need to make another sale soon....

Any axe I keep is special to me, but there comes a time to when I ask myself: "Do I really need three 3+ lb felling axes?" Maybe I do... help talk me out of it!

What do you treat the actual axe head with?

One I touched up as rust removal without disturbing the natural patina, the other a forced patina rust-blueing. I'll post pics soon, just need the oil to dry otherwise it gets messy handling them and camera, also need daylight... I leave home for work when it's dark, and return home when it's dark this time of year.

This weekend ...
Any axe I keep is special to me, but there comes a time to when I ask myself: "Do I really need three 3+ lb felling axes?" Maybe I do... help talk me out of it!

Poppycock !!!

rIvIyTLAD4RyiVDAhmp7oVFxmflrFhuV3irQgJHj7kx6dQz6jVKMrzEMULrxW-qwsmUG12-gxgK1vpOxjp95DChcfeUeu_0eld_cAoxz60YsAQ-xDv9e0zCTGkhyolbDTHhl84T4Q1RcZ76LvgAbWRTB_RBGW7jZt08QLi-mEN4JoMT82PRs2U-yRMxrZOrE-Ob5yw-iBOBVYus5Z9_KU4hTa8FXeQVzvwvrOnx3u_J_g2-mgnm34YYzoHXi6crRFWgdNBmlQ_fpEFCN0QxzvvkkctUp-lFM2rJARdSpyY_N4_vXn7ZfxSGItQC0iahYeIV_G6Q5fzHbwmBAPXUgz-1uB67EdnavlDZsDpOD21-cabV_EhmqQGZWIaTp9g60f21pVurd9hcEArXj_7vYBT2m1ZZOeGl2ZbGzSRah3NCHR6y_KY8O-HtYCn3Q4q3YbExduztrpEsbAqZV4q6uQavU6CUhQMnzQBV3jEoF9ExJYi_Kd2v-s8JeCjsM6idLmehDqJW04JfPaCBRdEkanTJFbGrY0Iom_0-MY1Z1zTzBMi3zhySDHmtM2ILcTBcQHl1lyWoBOAviZWTUL4K-3BFpCUwo9_YdhdUnnMk4pRWAVvoAAmW3hPuWsASSKMbGU_Ly5imsD4Ut4Jd9dD0pGxhMbDTOtRsVUs-Z=w1324-h935-no

Of course you need multiples !

Latest posts

Back