Woods furnace choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheez, this thread escalated quickly! :surprised3:
I made some calls to a few local dealers of the Max Caddy. I was quoted $4,300.00 for the furnace and another $1,500.00 for the blower. I was like "Huh?". what good is the damn furnace without it?
That's why I said Heatpro was most bang for buck...$2500 vs $4300 (Caddy is dealer only item...otherwise they are almost the identical unit) Some people set these things up to heat be gravity...no blower needed. Or do a series install with the existing furnace...

Sheez, this thread escalated quickly! :surprised3:

That's why I said Heatpro was most bang for buck...$2500 vs $4300 (Caddy is dealer only item...otherwise they are almost the identical unit) Some people set these things up to heat be gravity...no blower needed. Or do a series install with the existing furnace...
I appreciate your insight and advice... I bought the Ashley (Red) 1440E today at Tractor Supply online, it was the only one that met most of the specs for my need. Most of all it runs $2,500.00 from Home Depot and they price-matched it from Northertool at $1,799.00 with free shipping to my residence. Additional when I stopped in my local Tractor Supply they were going to give me a 15% military discount until they seen it was an online order item only. The manager told me to come back when I receive it to bring the receipt/invoice in he will give it to me in a store gift card. So all told I go the stove for $1,530.00.

It comes with two 550 CFM blowers, is it safe to swap them out with 850 CFM blowers?

The two 550 blowers on my hotblast move more then enough air through my duct work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your insight and advice... I bought the Ashley (Red) 1440E today at Tractor Supply online, it was the only one that met most of the specs for my need. Most of all it runs $2,500.00 from Home Depot and they price-matched it from Northertool at $1,799.00 with free shipping to my residence. Additional when I stopped in my local Tractor Supply they were going to give me a 15% military discount until they seen it was an online order item only. The manager told me to come back when I receive it to bring the receipt/invoice in he will give it to me in a store gift card. So all told I go the stove for $1,530.00.

It comes with two 550 CFM blowers, is it safe to swap them out with 850 CFM blowers?
I wouldn't change a thing until you run it for a while...it may be fine as is...
Guess we are going to find out if USSC has stepped up their game on the new models or not...

Don't like it! "Then there was one" These new standards could potentially put every manufacture out of business but Lammpa which could then lend to the U-Ass Gubment getting total control of that industry. Greedy little Lammpa millennial grandchildren or what ever triple X label after them could ask whatever price for their product.

Meh... Not in the dna of the family in my opinion. People are a different breed in the working arrowhead.

I wouldn't change a thing until you run it for a while...it may be fine as is...
Guess we are going to find out if USSC has stepped up their game on the new models or not...
It was just shipped today. It is one thing to see a picture un-fired but another to see it fired! You tried to warn me... went on Tractor Supply just now and found more comments that were not there before. The pictures I am posting here are from the product review. I think I am calling them tomorrow and not going to take delivery, my plan was to have it sit in garage until late summer 2018 then install. I would not if it was a piece of junk until then. Would put me in a bad spot for getting them to take it back. These people are A-holes... what manufacturing standard are they using?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hotblast-1440e-wood-furnace-with-twin-blowers-2-500-sq-ft

Attachments

• 1-1440E.jpg
    1-1440E.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 2-1440E.jpg
    2-1440E.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 3-1440E.jpg
    3-1440E.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 48
I'm going to play devil's advocate. I understand the pics don't look good, but it's a manual furnace. They could have burned scraps, burned the furnace wide open, etc. If specific draft speeds aren't followed, any stove or furnace can overheat quickly. Looking at the first set of pics from a user, I wouldn't let it pursue me. On the opposite end, for as many epa stove users I see satisfied, I see just as many not. You burn unseasoned wood, you won't get any performance. The only negative I see on the furnace in the photos, it's a manual operated furnace. If you burn dry wood and have a strong draft, it can go from zero to 100 in a matter of minutes. I'm not telling you what to do, but I just figured I would put in my 2 cents.

I'm going to play devil's advocate. I understand the pics don't look good, but it's a manual furnace. They could have burned scraps, burned the furnace wide open, etc. If specific draft speeds aren't followed, any stove or furnace can overheat quickly. Looking at the first set of pics from a user, I wouldn't let it pursue me. On the opposite end, for as many epa stove users I see satisfied, I see just as many not. You burn unseasoned wood, you won't get any performance. The only negative I see on the furnace in the photos, it's a manual operated furnace. If you burn dry wood and have a strong draft, it can go from zero to 100 in a matter of minutes. I'm not telling you what to do, but I just figured I would put in my 2 cents.

Being a hotblast owner for afew years now. I will say that it takes a bit of learning to not over fire the unit. Those pictures look like overfires. It doesn’t take much with my 1557m to overfire. I also have an older unit so it is different then the one you are looking st.

Being a hotblast owner for afew years now. I will say that it takes a bit of learning to not over fire the unit. Those pictures look like overfires. It doesn’t take much with my 1557m to overfire. I also have an older unit so it is different then the one you are looking st.

I had a 1500 series hotblast, that was in operation for around 20 years. I had to babysit it to make sure it wouldn't overfire. Since the new models are epa certified, with good wood, they can be stepped down on the air, earlier in the burn. I agree, the pics look like it was overfired.

I do have to admit at first glance of photos I thought that it looked over fired. "brenndatomu" seems to know his stuff and i certaily appreciate and advice and insight I can get. This is my last stove purchase until check out so...

I do have to admit at first glance of photos I thought that it looked over fired. "brenndatomu" seems to know his stuff and i certaily appreciate and advice and insight I can get. This is my last stove purchase until check out so...
Ha...just a wood heat nut that spends too much time on these sites. Don't discount Laynes...he's very knowledgeable about this stuff too...

I got really lucky bought a new Drolet tundra 3 years ago at a very good price . Was surprised how much less wood I used had a shelters before that was only 2 years old . The shelters was a big pipe plugger l knew l had to get rid of it . The drolet is a lot less work between cutting more wood an cleaning the chimnney with the shelters .Price wise I paid about the same .

I picked up a Drolet Heatmax 3 years ago and love it. I cut my wood consumption in half over the Englander 3500 and have had NO creosote whatsoever. The Englander would require monthly cleanings as the pipe would plug up with creosote. The Drolet requires cleaning but its only ash that comes out of the heat exchanger. I can set the thermostat at 72 and the stove will over shoot a bit to 73-74. 3-4 sticks in the morning, 2 when I get home, and 3-4 at night keeps my ranch and basement nice and warm. If the weather gets a little colder out I might put an extra log in at each loading.
I had the cracks show up at the end of the second heating season. I drilled holes in the end of the cracks and welded them up with my mig welder. I had one burn through where the thimble for the door turns into the firebox. Again I welded that up and then welded a piece of angle iron over the repair for reinforcement. I burned it all last year with no issues. I went out of town at the end of the second year and had some friends house sit. I told them how much wood to put in but think they over fired it which caused the cracks.
I would buy the stove again without hesitation. It was hard to drop the $1800 on it but looking back I don't regret it at all.

So My Ashley 1440E arrived two days ago and there was a huge credit card issue, part of it was my doing. There were some price drops and some other retailers with lower prices that I got Tractor Supply to price match. Multiple charges on card that have yet to be resolved. So I decided to un-box the stove in the interim and inspect it since the last stove I bought had welding issues discovered a few years after the install. I am posting the photos of my discovery after un-boxing and I highly encourage as many of you to chime in on this build. At present time Brenndatomu advice is coming back to haunt me... Though the stove retails at anywhere between $2,200.00 - $3,000.00 I paid $1,360.00 which is less than I paid for my first stove 28-3500 $1,500Firebox9.jpg Flue Collar1.jpg Flue Collar2.jpg Stove1.jpg Stove2.jpg Stove6.jpg Stove11.jpg Stove12.jpg Firebox9.jpg Firebox9.jpg Flue Collar1.jpg .00. It was hard to pass up ARGH!!!!

Additional pictures...Firebox1.jpg Firebox2.jpg Firebox3.jpg Firebox4.jpg Firebox5.jpg Firebox6.jpg Firebox7.jpg I opted for full image so a thorough inspection can be done of the welds.

The two 550 blowers on my hotblast move more then enough air through my duct work.

That Hotblast work ok for you?

My brother has one and it's mediocre if you ask me. He's on stove #3 actually, first 2 replaced under warranty, firebox cracked!

The firebox is really small on his and it's only good for 4-5 hours at best. Keeping the house warm nearly a full time job!

That Hotblad work ok for you?

My brother has one and it's mediocre if you ask me. He's on stove #3 actually, first 2 replaced under warranty, firebox cracked!

The firebox is really small on his and it's only good for 4-5 hours at best. Keeping the house warm nearly a full time job!

What model does he have? I haven’t had any issues out of mine. Except for it being a wood monster, I probably wouldn’t own one either if it wasn’t for the price I got. I have mine hooked to duct work I ran through out the house and it has no problem heating the entire thing. I have the 1557m.

Back