Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a splitting tool, but first time I saw one of these.

View attachment 616370

Philbert

Had mine about a year. Never be without it again. Pull logs, move rounds, pulls rounds to the splitter. And best of all, if my buddy schlep rock breaks it, lifetime replacement. Yes, he's the guy you have heard could break an anvil with a feather.

Not a splitting tool, but first time I saw one of these.

View attachment 616370

Philbert

It certainly is a splitting tool! I use mine all of the time for splitting and stacking. They're a back-saver, a pickaroon and log tongs are my savior when it comes to moving and stacking piles of split wood. I don't have a Fiskars, but I did make one myself from a Hickory maul handle and a carriage bolt:

H2pjHTO.jpg
H2pjHTO.jpg

My previous axe to the fiskars has the bottom of the head curved down like a hook. Id hit it into a log to carry it to the splitting pad.

That thing is interesting but Idk what I'd use it for it looks a bit thin.

I don't use it to drag logs, that's what my peavy and log hooks are for ;)

For this I primarily use it for grabbing split pieces without bending over. I simply swing it into the end grain, pick it up, then chuck into the next pile. Often when I'm moving split pieces into place or to another pile, I'll have the pickaroon in one hand, and my long log tongs in the other. I use the tongs for heavy pieces and the pickaroon for whatever I can jab in the same motion.

I'd eyed the fiskars 'roon for a good while before I had one, but it seemed a bit much for a tool I wasn't sure I would use ( about £40, nearly as much as the x27 iirc) then I found a cheaper pickaroon by Bison at £25 and got that, and instantly loved it. It had a poor handle which broke before long so I got a new hickory handle. That made the Bison pick better balanced and lovely but I had spent nearly what a fiskars would have cost and wondered if I would have liked that better. Well recently I found some comments in a thread on arbtalk (a very dull UK version of AS), seems the fiskars wasn't so highly thought of and the go to tool is the Bison! I looked for the Bison again recently and it's near the price of the fiskars now, would be more once rehandled. Seems I got lucky.

Anyway, that was only based on 2 or 3 fiskars users so in reality I'm interested to hear how you get on..... Just don't like it too much please. ;)

I'd eyed the fiskars 'roon for a good while before I had one, but it seemed a bit much for a tool I wasn't sure I would use ( about £40, nearly as much as the x27 iirc) then I found a cheaper pickaroon by Bison at £25 and got that, and instantly loved it. It had a poor handle which broke before long so I got a new hickory handle. That made the Bison pick better balanced and lovely but I had spent nearly what a fiskars would have cost and wondered if I would have liked that better. Well recently I found some comments in a thread on arbtalk (a very dull UK version of AS), seems the fiskars wasn't so highly thought of and the go to tool is the Bison! I looked for the Bison again recently and it's near the price of the fiskars now, would be more once rehandled. Seems I got lucky.

Anyway, that was only based on 2 or 3 fiskars users so in reality I'm interested to hear how you get on..... Just don't like it too much please. ;)
It's always interesting to hear different reviews. As we know, Fiskars often get a bad rap from folks who are scared by that plastic handle :)

I was worried about the plastic handle but with a warranty where they hand u a new one if u break it then it can't be to bad.
Someone said they had a defective batch of hatchets. But I have severely overstruck on the X-27 several times and never an issue. I know in 40 some cords through it I would have replaced my maul handle a couple of times.

It's always interesting to hear different reviews. As we know, Fiskars often get a bad rap from folks who are scared by that plastic handle :)

I dislike plastic handles partly for being a contrarian, traditionalist, and well, wood handles are just cool!

That being said, Fiskars axes get nothing but praise from anyone I know who owns one or several, and being as widely popular as they are, one can't really argue with their success.

I have some fiskars x-27 ,x-25 and an x-7 ,but they do not have the cool factor or feel of a hand forged head on a hickory handle .

I already did a review on the ozark trail hatchet for its intended purposes. I'm not doing a second review on it, just sharing that it comes in handy as a "kitchen utensil". I was given some free jumbo hard shell lobsters from work and couldn't break open the claws with what I had available in my kitchen. I thought about what to do for a minute and well...I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Attachments

• IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
I already did a review on the ozark trail hatchet for its intended purposes. I'm not doing a second review on it, just sharing that it comes in handy as a "kitchen utensil". I was given some free jumbo hard shell lobsters from work and couldn't break open the claws with what I had available in my kitchen. I thought about what to do for a minute and well...I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.
Let me know if you have this problem again and I will come over to help. Bet that was a delicious meal.

I have some fiskars x-27 ,x-25 and an x-7 ,but they do not have the cool factor or feel of a hand forged head on a hickory handle .

They're still cooler than the hipster who buys a premium axe with wooden handle for it to hang on a wall until they split some kiln dried firewood for the fire pit during the family cookout.

I switched from wood this year to either fiber glass or fiskars. When I broke the less than a year old wood sledge handle i decided to try fiberglass. The over strike was an accidental bounce and then snap. Possibly it was a poorly made hickory handle Idk.

Proper grain orientation helps, but given enough force or torque, wood will give way and break. Most hung or replaced hardware store handles often don't have good grain. You really have to search hard and hand select it.

I enjoy using my traditional tools on smaller projects around the yard, say like when I drag home one tree and need to process it. Some of them work darn good too.

The best tools are what work well for the person and are enjoyable to use.

They're still cooler than the hipster who buys a premium axe with wooden handle for it to hang on a wall until they split some kiln dried firewood for the fire pit during the family cookout.
I got into a splitting tool argument with one of these types on a FB page based on a different topic. That was fun. ;)

Back