Lets beat a dead horse again,outdoor boiler advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Duttry

Reaction score
I know this has probably been beat to death,but i am new here. looking at replacing the 20 plus year old mahoning outdoor coal/wood boiler. I think that I have narrowed it down to 3... 1st-Natures Comfort NCB 120 coal unit (approx 5900.00)...2nd heatmaster C150 coal unit (approx 5500.00)...3rd Central boiler Forge 1500 (approx 6500.00)..

I like the idea of the fire bricks in the Natures Comfort,other than that seems to be basic unit......Also like the triple pass flu system of the heatmaster,,would like electronics on other side of unit and that might be possible the dealer said,he is checking. I have also read how good the central boilers are... We burn unit all year to heat the domestic water. Any and all info much appreciated..

I have a Nature's Comfort NCB-175 wood unit I modified to burn wood or coal. I've been running it since 2010 almost constantly (DHW). The only repair so far was to replace a circulator motor about 4 years ago.
I assume you are using Bit coal so that will make coal burning easier. I burn anthracite and only when temps are below freezing.
In my opinion the NC is a good unit. At least mine is...

I don't know anything about coal so can't add much here. But I will say I found for me it wasn't worth it to burn year round for DHW. I can heat our DHW in the summer for $25/mo at 0.18/kwh with an ordinary electric tank heater. Was worth the break & reduction in wood to cut for me to not bother. Definitely wouldn't if I had an OWB, since it would pretty well mean a summer long smolder. To each their own though.

Last year was the 1st in 5 years that I didn't run the owb all year. I burn poplar, cedar or pine construction lumber in the summer. And cardboard, weekly flyers and other paper. It usually only fires once every 3rd or 4th day I have 500 gallons of water. We only put enough wood in it to fire once and then shut off the switch for a couple of days. The wood usually ashes over and no smoke until a few days later when I hit the switch, stir up the coals and throw some paper in it and it fires again. Secret is to only use really dry wood and only enough for one burn.

Seems like that ash sitting for days will increase rusting of your stove. Have you seen that?

Ive heard good thinks of the heat master. Look at the mf series. They are designed for multi fuel.

I’m not sold on central boiler. I’ve heard and seen several fire boxes rot out. But it was a certain age of the stoves that had thin/cheap steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I burn wood in a natures comfort 175. Bought it preban. Been using it for 4 years without a problem.

You can always put a coal stoker in a shed and insulate it.

The EFM DF520 underfed pot stoker would be my first choice as you can burn Bituminous Rice Coal in it.

The Axeman Anderson S130 is also an excellent choice for Anthracite rice coal burning

The AHS S130 with 130,000 BTU would work well but needs Anthracite buckwheat coal

I have the Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel unit and I made a huge mistake buying it instead of the AHS S130.
The Keystoker units use Hydrolevel digital boiler controls and I had 2 sets of hydrolevel controls and they
both failed and added to that they have had at least 54 sets of controls returned as failed units.

I replaced the hydrolevel 3250 plus units with a honeywell L8124L1011 triple Aquastat and a Mcdonnel & Miller RB-122-E low water cut off
and I have not had a bit of trouble since then.

Latest posts

Back