Black Walnut , worth this ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats to know about milling it ? Different than a maple, red oak, white oak ?

Whats to know about milling it ? Different than a maple, red oak, white oak ?

Nothing specific to know about walnut vs. others. It is way heavier than you may expect and a little harder on the saw. In my post I meant it would be an expensive learning curve if you weren’t already familiar with milling. I’ve done quite well purchasing walnut already down and ready to mill just like you posted.

I have to say that posting a link to a facebook link is just plain lame....
if you want to know what its worth , put a pic up as well as what tools you have handy to mill it with and what your final intentions are?...
Give a bit about you..any saw time?do you have a mill, have a kiln? have people that want to buy some walnut in about 2yrs time???
The old 'whats is the black walnut worth' just pisses me off..
Its not worth sh$t, without a lot of work!

Its an honest question. Sorry to piss you off sawboy.Its two logs for sale, is it worth the price to you ? Doesnt matter what I am going to do with it . Its a yes or no , would you buy it or not. BW is hard to come by in my parts so not much to compare prices to around here . Thats why I ask. It may be way to much , just about right , or damn thats a steal . IDK, thats why I ask. Just looking for opinions on what other people would be willing to pay.

Fascinating how folks get all fired up over stuff......keeps me coming back....entertainment value always rising

To answer your question for me personally.....I been running my little mill for awhile and don't try to make a vocation out of it so I don't pay for logs. If they ain't free they ain't for me.

If it helps I paid $500 for these two logs that were already down, I was allowed to mill them on site and made about $5k roughly 1.5yrs later. I didn’t have to buy anything except fuel in order to mill them. So for me it was worth it.
e6a61ba562220679849d1d378073b623.jpg
6aa6abdd4ad159b0b58b2086d7fc8764.jpg

Smoker62, its not your per se that I get irked at ...Its the whole " i have a BW log and its worth a miliion $$'' that get me going...
To each his own.
Worth the price..No....wrong side of the continent and different country!

Smoker62, its not your per se that I get irked at ...Its the whole " i have a BW log and its worth a miliion $$'' that get me going...
To each his own.
Worth the price..No....wrong side of the continent and different country!

Lol your post made me laugh. Especially the Facebook link comment. People ALWAYS think their standing and healthy black walnut is worth millions...it’s true. And it’s also funny.

I appreciate the honesty guys. I just have no idea what stuff is worth. You can search and read threads til your bourbon bottle is empty , and at the end I dont know what I just read for two hours, still have nothing , well an empty Eagle Rare bottle maybe. Thats why I just wanted some opinions.

And to add , I am new to milling . I have a Woodland Mills Trekker 126 and bought it to mill red pines on my property for some post and beam buildings. I only take the downed or standing dead trees right now but they're about 18 to 24 " in diameter and straight as a telephone pole for 60 ft. Cheers ! ;)

I appreciate the honesty guys. I just have no idea what stuff is worth. You can search and read threads til your bourbon bottle is empty , and at the end I dont know what I just read for two hours, still have nothing , well an empty Eagle Rare bottle maybe. Thats why I just wanted some opinions.

And to add , I am new to milling . I have a Woodland Mills Trekker 126 and bought it to mill red pines on my property for some post and beam buildings. I only take the downed or standing dead trees right now but they're about 18 to 24 " in diameter and straight as a telephone pole for 60 ft. Cheers ! ;)

Ok so that being said I’d make sure your milled lumber is coming out perfect before doing the walnut. Because any wood that you pay for, especially walnut, is not where you want to learn from mistakes.

I have to say that posting a link to a facebook link is just plain lame....
if you want to know what its worth , put a pic up as well as what tools you have handy to mill it with and what your final intentions are?...
Give a bit about you..any saw time?do you have a mill, have a kiln? have people that want to buy some walnut in about 2yrs time???
The old 'whats is the black walnut worth' just pisses me off..
Its not worth sh$t, without a lot of work!
did you eat the wrong cornflakes this morning?
Ease off on the guy!

Its all good, I dont take it personally. I am on forums where the same questions get asked over and over. I try to help if I can . If I cant add a positive comment I just pass. I am not on here for drama. I get enough in my physical world.

I do not believe that that the value of walnut is relative to this thread. If you make wonderful slabs and kiln dry it to perfection and offer them to some one that already has plenty of inventory you will not get top money. In my case most of my wood went to firewood because it was way better than nothing. The guy I was working with always managed to get the best for himself and sell it for huge profits. I just did not know as much as this guy who spent more than twenty years perfecting his market. Thanks

I very seldom make a reply in this forum but I have done some milling and been around trees most of my life. So I'll take a shot at giving some advice.

First , the seller isn't that far out of line on the price for two logs. I have sold similar logs but they were better quality. That Walnut log in the market place ad to me is a common grade Walnut and is nowhere near the quality of those live edge slabs pictured earlier in the thread. That big crotch at the end doesn't have any appeal to me. The sap wood or white wood is another feature that has no appeal to me either. That tree has the look of a fast growing yard tree growing in the open verses a timber grown Walnut. The growth rings are going to be wide which knocks the value of it down, tight closed spaced rings are more desirable for good walnut lumber . The color of the dark wood inner wood isn't that great either.

Now you have to ask yourself how much money and time do you want to put into these logs. Your going to have some transportation costs, milling costs, also drying and storage time. Walnut wood is a speculative game to play with a lot of risks and pitfalls weather your buying or selling. Sometimes the end result of doing all the work to produce Walnut lumber doesn't meet a persons initial expectations. Might be easier and cheaper to buy the wood from a decent sawyer who knows how to make good Walnut lumber.

Personally I am not a big fan of Walnut and have stayed away from buying Walnut because I have worked with people who have bought Walnut and lost money on these so called deals. I know this thread isn't about buying and reselling logs for profit . I just don't see what the big deal is about Walnut. Walnut is pretty wood but there other pretty woods out there . I don't get excited about it.

It looks to me like the price is $200. Hardly worth making a tread on an internet discussion group in my opinion. It would appear to be a yard tree, the only part appearing straight in the first picture ends up being a crotch or double heart in the last picture. On the plus side it does not appear to need to be pressure washed, I doubt they can load it. I have not figured out how to determine how much stress in a log like that. Cheap entertainment if you do not have something on hand to play with and it is close.

Back