Christmas Present for my Son

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
They were running a 20% off sale so I grabbed this for my 13yr old. Hard to beat $719 for a new splitter. It has a 2 stage pump and an 11.5 second cycle time. I won't let him run my super splitter. Now he gets to work up all my knotty, twisty,and shorts. Maybe if he can make some money I can keep him out of my pocket.

Scott

Attachments

• 20171215_200534.jpg
    20171215_200534.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 82
They were running a 20% off sale so I grabbed this for my 13yr old. Hard to beat $719 for a new splitter. It has a 2 stage pump and an 11.5 second cycle time. I won't let him run my super splitter. Now he gets to work up all my knotty, twisty,and shorts. Maybe if he can make some money I can keep him out of my pocket.

Scott

My old man made me and my brother split 3 huge cotton woods by hand the summer I was 14 with an old maul, a wedge, and a sledge! Man a splitter woulda been nice to have back then. Course money was tight in the 80's no one had the cool tools we have now and dad was determined to make men out of his boys. I admire you for putting him to work and I'm glad my dad did the same. My 8 year old is stacking splits and going to the hills to scrounge with me. So many kids today aren't learning to get their hands dirty and put in a hard days work. I wouldn't be where I am today if my old man let me sit on my ass all summer and play video games.

Interesting - I find the Supersplit to be safer than hydraulic. Obviously if you need to be extra careful where you put your hands, but other than that, if the SS gets bogged down with a crotch or something hard, it just stops. With a hydraulic it'll keep pushing until something gives, and sometimes that is explosive, sending wood flying at a painful pace.

Still, two splitters can get you some serious wood split in no time!

My son has a few issues. I'm afraid he'll catch his fingers in the ss. I know what you mean about pieces flying out. I'm okay with a couple bruises. But loosing digits is another thing. I'm thinking about relocating the valve do his hand can't reach the wood while he's extending the ram. We'll see.

My old man made me and my brother split 3 huge cotton woods by hand the summer I was 14 with an old maul, a wedge, and a sledge! Man a splitter woulda been nice to have back then. Course money was tight in the 80's no one had the cool tools we have now and dad was determined to make men out of his boys. I admire you for putting him to work and I'm glad my dad did the same. My 8 year old is stacking splits and going to the hills to scrounge with me. So many kids today aren't learning to get their hands dirty and put in a hard days work. I wouldn't be where I am today if my old man let me sit on my ass all summer and play video games.

My parents made me work as a kid also. I started cutting and clearing cedar when I was 13. Before that it was just mowing lawns. In high school I cut and sold firewood. I'm probably lucky to still be here. My dad just let me go to the farm and start falling trees. Looking back that wasn't safe at all. A 15yr old kid with almost no falling experience cutting 16-25" oaks in the woods. That year I hand split and sold about 35 cords of wood. The next year I ditched the Homelite 330 and bought a Dolmar and a homemade splitter. This was around 92/93. I thought I was rich cutting and splitting 4 4x8' stacks on a Saturday. Cut delivered it was $140 in my pocket. Gas was $.75 a gallon. I had an old pickup bed trailer. Between that and my 83 Dodge half ton 4x4 I could haul 4 rows of wood. Sure did make that 318 with a 4 speed grunt. Man those were the days.

Scott

Wow...my dad's mentality was why buy a splitter...that is what my son is for lol. I grew up on a farm so I started working by the time I could walk. At that time it was go get this for me. When I got my license it was take care of the cattle we are going away for the weekend. Best thing you can do for a kid. My wife is pregnant and that kid we know how to work or I'll die trying lol.

P.S. I moved away is 2015 and he still won't buy a splitter because I am expected to return to cut and split the wood by hand lol. Oh the stubborn farmer lol

Back