Snowmobile trail saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseldash

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've been getting the sleds ready for the season.....If it ever snows might even get out (been dry for 65 days in a row) One of my sleds is an older 2000 Polaris Widetrak LX 500 liquid cooled I've been restoring. New camoplast powder skis and a bunch of fuel system stuff. Even mounting an ATV winch on the back. I'm thinking of making a mount for a chainsaw for trail work. I want something light, cheap, 14" bar and most likely plastic crank case. Don't want the mag cased saws exposed to road salt and mag-chloride. None of my junk exactly fits the bill. Looking a the Stihl MS170/ 180, Echo and Stihl top handles, maybe Dolmar ps-32.

Anyone have any recommendations for a descent little trail saw?

How bad do the ms170's suck at 9,000 feet above sea level?

So I've been getting the sleds ready for the season.....If it ever snows might even get out (been dry for 65 days in a row) One of my sleds is an older 2000 Polaris Widetrak LX 500 liquid cooled I've been restoring. New camoplast powder skis and a bunch of fuel system stuff. Even mounting an ATV winch on the back. I'm thinking of making a mount for a chainsaw for trail work. I want something light, cheap, 14" bar and most likely plastic crank case. Don't want the mag cased saws exposed to road salt and mag-chloride. None of my junk exactly fits the bill. Looking a the Stihl MS170/ 180, Echo and Stihl top handles, maybe Dolmar ps-32.

Anyone have any recommendations for a descent little trail saw?

How bad do the ms170's suck at 9,000 feet above sea level?
It ain’t a top handle but an Echo 370 that has a muff mod and retuned would probably handle anything you run into except maybe a grizzly and even then would probably make the grizzly question his decision.

I grab what ever small mount husky i have handy and throw my 12" bar on it. The small echo's would be prefect. I have a old homie xl2 that needs new lines that will be prefect, just need some time. More often then not my folding bandsaw gets the job done.

9000ft you are going to loose a bunch of power. But I'm sure you already know that.
My suggestions would be a 200t, echo 355t. Or if you wanted a rear handle saw. A husky 350.
Both the top handles have good power and are very compact. The 350 is a little bigger but can be made very powerful for very little $$$$.

Steven

Stihl MSA120c cordless. I would make a secure mount for the battery pack in the engine compartment of the ski so the batt would always be warm. Cold temps degrade a battery's output. You would need to keep the corrosive elements out of the insides of the saw but otherwise that's about it. I have been using one a good bit since May and am super happy with it for stuff up to 6 to 8".

Any of the present Echo, Shindaiwa and Maruyama top handle saws will do nicely and not break the bank.
Older models from the same brands are fine as long as they are 30cc or more and come in "ready to go" conditions as spare parts for them aren't exactly cheap.

Both of these are mag case saws.

Yep I know. But they are very very small and have great power to weight. I have rode with one in a backpack and a trunk bag before. No salt getting in there if you pack them correctly. And if needed you can ditch them quickly if needed. Backcountry riding is the best, but you had better be prepared.

Any saw mag or not is going to have corrosion issues if it's not sealed up from the elements. Carbs and coils don't like salt or calcium chloride either.

Steven

Cheap and reliable. I bought a Ryobi for around the woodpile and it’s actually a pretty good saw for the money and if you would run over it or lose it you ain’t gonna cry, it’s a 3714. Check with Direct Tools and see about a factory blemish and save even more plus for Christmas they have free shipping.

If you are looking at Stihl I would suggest a good used 025 or MS250 with a narrow gauge chain setup. These are a great trail saw whether carried on a sled or in a backpack.

Made the mistake of taking a ms170 along On a snowmobile trail ride, never again. It don’t like the snow, sold it shortly there after. My 350/346 husky has served me well for a few years already.

Back