Stihl 661 question for the experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott1982

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy. This is my first post but I’ve read several threads on this site and see that this is the place to ask my question. I’ve got a 661c that I bought over a year ago. I wasn’t ever impressed with it compared to my 660. I wasn’t impressed in any way except that it did start easy every time. Anyway... it started haveing rich running issues. Wouldn’t rev up all the way and smoked a lot and had no power in a cut. Got stihl to replace the carb and trigger controller and air filter free I just had to pay shop labor. Well it’s been 4-5 months and it’s doing it again. Am I really gonna have to spend 300 bucks on a new carb and trigger and filter twice a year? After reading on this site.... I’m thinking maybe a muffler mod and air filter mod might fix it. What do you all think?

Did the dealer diagnose it last time as anything or just replace those parts, kind of strange to me to replace the air filter and trigger control too. Did you try and recalibrate by leaving on choke without adding any throttle for a minute after starting and then blipping throttle to put in run position?

A muffler mod won't fix anything. It should run well in stock trim. Check the spark arrestor screen. If not that, it may be the solenoid on the carb. That's the most common point of failure on MTronic saws. You may also have a problem with the wiring harness. Generally speaking, MTronic saws run very well.

When I had it in the shop, the dealer tested it and wanted to put a new carb and trigger control on it at my cost. I told them to go ahead because the saw was junk the way it was. Then I sent emails to stihl corporate. I was complaining about having to spend money on a saw that shouldn’t be having problems. The saw was out of warranty of course. I bought a 660 and used it everyday for over two years and had no problems. This 661 I cant use for more than a few months before its almost useless cuz of the off idle stumble and rich running issues. Personally I hate this saw. I’m wanting to buy another new saw but what if it is just like this one?

I’ve tried running the saw without an air filter with no change. The stihl corporate guy did tell me that I needed to buy several new air filters and to change it every so often. He said not to clean it but to replace it. I didn’t like the idea of having to constantly buy air filters for it and having to reset it all the time so I didn’t buy extra filters. I think it’s crap that I’m having any issues at all. IMO I should be able to run this saw day in day out with zero problems just like my 660 and 066 and 460.

I’ve tried running the saw without an air filter with no change. The stihl corporate guy did tell me that I needed to buy several new air filters and to change it every so often. He said not to clean it but to replace it. I didn’t like the idea of having to constantly buy air filters for it and having to reset it all the time so I didn’t buy extra filters. I think it’s crap that I’m having any issues at all. IMO I should be able to run this saw day in day out with zero problems just like my 660 and 066 and 460.

I'd gladly take it off yet hands. The guys I fixed wanted to trade me for my 066 before because it ran so bad. Once I swapped out the solenoid they won't trade me no mo. :(
Been about 8 months full time service no issues since.
Maybe a ported 066 would suit you better ?
Do you do any service on your saws ? Soley swap is easy.

Yes I work on my own saws. I’ll change the soley and see if that helps. I’m also gonna get one of the filters I keep reading about

Latest posts

Back