My beginner's climbing stuffs...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to take pictures backwards is more challenging than expected!
20171216_123626.jpg
I did tear mine apart and rebuild it like everyone else's this morning, with the bungee going all the way to the foot loop, but it's not necessary. No longer have to clip up here, but still works the same.
15134500848601142679052.jpg

Thanks so much for the pictures! That really helps me wrap my head around how it all goes together. I'm on the lookout for ascenders now.

No problem man, I think you'll be a lot happier being able to use your legs, and not hip thrusting or having to footlock. Footlock is still good to know for emergency purposes, though.

tengu2photo.gif

This'll help a lot too. Makes the Blake's hitch self advancing, more like a mechanical. (Picture from New Tribe)

That's pretty cool. I did pick up a Hitch Climber system, but was stupid and didn't get a spliced eye in my rope. Sigh.

Probably just me, but I prefer an anchor hitch over a spliced eye. I feel like it's easier to inspect, since you're probably retying it every time. And it's less likely to get stuck in a tight crotch. Actually extremely difficult, next to impossible, if you have the ends taped.

I acquired 150 feet of brand new Blue Water Ropes 11MM (7/16”) Assault Line from Craigslist yesterday. It’s $175 new. Paid $50. Anybody heard of used this brand before? Everything I’ve read looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience personally, but from Blue Water's website, it looks like it's a pretty bouncy rope, 7% stretch at 1000#, vs 2-4% on a 24 strand tree rope. Wouldn't hurt to try, though.

I'm the new guy, but me personally; I don't want boucy rope. I hear that's what you want rock climbing, to protect from injuries in falls.

The other concern of mine would be the Craigslist origin. I took the advice of a professional climber when it came to rope, and bought new. There are just too many possible variables that come into play with previously-owned climbing rope. Exposure to uv or the wrong types of fumes...

Bouncy rope is a waste of energy, to me also. And yeah, I wouldn't even rig on Craigslist rope. But if you're buying rope on Craigslist, well, hopefully you've already taken all that into consideration, and deemed the risk acceptable to yourself. I wouldn't even buy a number of actually brand new ropes. But, again, only my opinion.

I’m nowhere near climbing. I don’t even have a harness, spikes or other climbing gear. I’ll use it for rigging or something. 150ft of rope will be good for something.

Good man. I don't mean to sound like an ***, it just comes out that way. My favorite ground guy thought I absolutely hated him for over a year, til he asked me why I didn't like him one morning. Now he just laughs, and calls me an *******. It's great!

Side note, that does look like rock climbing rope, and us being in Florida, I doubt it's seen much use, if any. Just check for stuff like discolored spots, melting, flattening, I'm sure it'll be fine for light rigging. Just be careful.

Good man. I don't mean to sound like an ***, it just comes out that way. My favorite ground guy thought I absolutely hated him for over a year, til he asked me why I didn't like him one morning. Now he just laughs, and calls me an *******. It's great!

Side note, that does look like rock climbing rope, and us being in Florida, I doubt it's seen much use, if any. Just check for stuff like discolored spots, melting, flattening, I'm sure it'll be fine for light rigging. Just be careful.

No worries. I think it’s more of a law enforcement / military use rope. From what I read, it’s used for fast roping scenarios which makes sense considering the 7% stretch. I think that’s to allow for a fast descent and quick stopping. Who knows

Latest posts

Back