How to save JM with broken branch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuan

Reaction score
This morning I find my recently planted coral bark JM had a big branch broken, don't know if it's from the deer or the big wind yesterday ( 33mph max). What should I do with the branch in order to save the tree?

Attachments

• whole tree.jpeg
    whole tree.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • wound.jpeg
    wound.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Looks like a deer had his way with it. I would remove limb, seal raked and damaged area. Wrap the tree and fence around it.

Deer may of did you a favor. Likes like it may of been a weak attachment anyway. You could trace the wound with a razor knife removing any jagged pieces, but letting nature handle it is probably best. Young trees are pretty Resilliant.

Thank you, I am going to not solely rely on the moth ball or thin plastic piece any more. The neighbors have similar size small tree trunk unprotected! I guess JM needs wrap and serious fence.

I doubt a stiff breeze would have done that. We regularly see gusts of 80+ mph here and trees that size don't normally break. JM is Jap Maple?

I tried growing about 30 of those at my house. They didn't last the first winter, all died. Mostly from the cold, but the moose didn't help them either. Luckily Lowe's had a "no questions" 1 year warranty on them cause I paid about $45 a tree.
They made me bring them all in. I got some weird looks when I hauled in a cart of dead 5-7ft tall trees!
Come to find out, they aren't suited for zone 3. Why they would even sell them is beyond me?! I assumed they would sell plants and trees that would grow here.

Latest posts

Back