Log skidding winch DIY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tzJoCN5l.jpg

FNRTyAIl.jpg

Thanks, it wasn't too bad.
I'm waiting on finding some extra cash for the pto shaft and to top things off my tractor seems to be a fair weather tractor only! I do have a buddy with a new Kubota that is wanting to fetch some wood so we may have to try it out on his tractor.

It's single digits hear so I don't blame your tractor for not wanting to go out in this lol. I may make one like this if it works pretty good for you. I'm not much of a fabricator but can take some ideas or pictures and go from there.

The only update is I finally ordered the PTO shaft I needed :)
I sold my old Ford tractor :( or :) depending on the day ...lol
I got an email yesterday that the shaft has shipped.
We are going to install it on my buddy's Kubota and give it a try. I'm sure it will need some modifications, or not :)
I will keep you posted and get a video

Dave, I very seldom buy PTO shafts new. I buy old pull type snow blowers, broken silage blowers, mowers etc for scrap steel price and rob the PTO's and the 3 PTH mounts off them. Far cheaper than buying or building them especially if you have to buy the steel. I likely have 6 or 8 on my fence line just waiting for my lazy azz to do something with them. You can see part of my world famous (my wife's relatives in Holland think it's amazing) fence line in the back ground picture of my sawmill.
IMG_20171117_163024.jpg

Cantoo I have looked and asked everyone and even put a wanted ad on facebook looking for a used shaft. As it turns out a guy on another forum sent me a link to a place, I am getting a new shaft with the ends I need for 48.95 and 18 shipping.
My buddy is more excited than I am to try it out...lol
Plus he needs some wood.

No updates as of yet, we are waiting for the roads to be decent (salt & slush free) for my buddy to bring his tractor over so we can try it. I'm in the market for a used 4wd tractor so I may have one of my own before we can get his here. I will update as soon as I can :)

Awesome build. I'm making plans to build one also but I don't plan to actually construct the winch. My plan is to build a log boom with a winch. My tractor is only 2700lbs so it doesn't have to be as stout as you have. Here is a pto driven winch I found locally off an older land rover or something.
20180226_091408.png

This is what I'm aiming to build but it will have a blade like yours.
winch for 5300 001.jpg

I have a small update, the winch is mounted to the tractor! I have to buy a new top link as the hydraulic one on there the hoses get in the way when the winch is all the way up. I got the PTO shaft cut down but I think I need to cut about an inch more off each end, it's almost touching when the winch is down.
I was hoping to get the cable spooled today but had some business to take care of. Perhaps tomorrow I will get the cable spooled. Hang in there! :)

I got the cable spooled on it this morning. The first thing I noticed is I should have made the drum about 2-3 inches narrower because of the way the cable comes down to the middle of it. I had to use a hammer head to push the cable over towards the back, I'm not sure it will rewind on it's own that way or not. My gut feeling is it's going to become a birds nest sooner than later
eek.gif

I did spool the cable on under some tension, I ran the cable lengthwise through some pieces of 2x12 that I pinched the cable in, seemed to work well.
I hooked the cable to the remnants of the old plow I cut up and pulled it out of the frozen tundra so I can at least say it does work after I adjusted the clutch. I'm guessing eventually the end of the drum will be smooth from use, right now it has some paint on it and some rust on it. And now on to the pictures
smile.gif

htEBScxl.jpg

taMYhsql.jpg

LSc37Jxl.jpg

Awesome. Can't wait to see some action shots in the woods, maybe even a vidoe... :chainsaw::chop:

I miss the old green chainsaw smiley guy. This one looks so angry but it's the only saw smiley we have so...

Back