Narrow kerf bar/chain or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks!
I have been trolling this forum to get some insight into whether it is worth the cost/effort to obtain a narrow kerf bar/chain for milling?
I have a wide variety of logs available for milling on my property here in PA. Anything from 16 " dia to 60" dia hardwoods. I have ample power (Stihl 090 AV, MS 880, 066 Magnum and Husky 395 xp)
What say you all on the narrow kerf bars/chain? Does it make a diff? I use ripping chain exclusively for all milling.
My thanks in advance.....

I use LoPro (narrow kerf) chain on my 441 on a 25" bar. The problem with this chain is it stretches a lot. A few folks have used it on a 660/066 up to 36" on softwoods, but a larger saw and a longer bar on harder woods would stretch the chain so much that it would jump even the proper sprockets.

You also need to realise its not just a matter of changing the bar and chain - the sprockets have to suit as well as LoPro is not regular 3/8 chain and requires a special sprocket that are not that easily attainable. I have tried running LoPro on a regular 3/8 run sprocket and within minutes it was jumping the drive sprocket. I turned down my own LoPro rom sprockets from 404" sprockets and these work really well. Rim sprockets are made from hardened sintered steel so require the use of carbide lathe cutters.
Then there's the nose sprocket to deal with but this does not seem to be as big of an issue as the drive sprocket.

Does it make a difference - There is some info in this thread.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/real-kerf-sizes.137465/

Seen a 21" 090 running .325 for speed cutting but still strong enough.
A Few mill with a .325 setup, one Guy is South West Aus.
I Will read bobs thread again though

BobL:
Thanks for that link! Wow! Somehow, reading that, I think I should have paid more attention in Math class.
Great info, though, and thanks.
Based on that, I think I will stick with a regular bar and a super sharp ripping chain, since I am typically running an 090 and 880 for all my milling.

BobL:
Thanks for that link! Wow! Somehow, reading that, I think I should have paid more attention in Math class.
Great info, though, and thanks.
Based on that, I think I will stick with a regular bar and a super sharp ripping chain, since I am typically running an 090 and 880 for all my milling.
Howdy,
If you want to do a comparison, and get back on here with what you think. I'll supply you with a the proper bar, tip, and rim to do the evaluation. The longest I have now is a 42". PM me with an address and I'll head it your way.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
If you want to do a comparison, and get back on here with what you think. I'll supply you with a the proper bar, tip, and rim to do the evaluation. The longest I have now is a 42". PM me with an address and I'll head it your way.
Regards
Gregg

Say,

While You’re here,

Now that the GB bars aren’t, is there anyone left that makes a 108dl .404” Bar for an 066/660?

How about the same bar in 123dl?

Thanks

Say,

While You’re here,

Now that the GB bars aren’t, is there anyone left that makes a 108dl .404” Bar for an 066/660?

How about the same bar in 123dl?

Thanks
Cannon makes bars in many sizes. If you're patient and willing to spend the cash. I have a dual power cannon milling bar with a helper handle for single powerhead use. 063 groove for 3/8 or .404 link length. It was called a 72" bar, but cuts a five foot wide slice in between the powerheads or handle. Have to look up what I was asking in sales thread if you're interested PM me I will get back to you. I have a ms-460 and an 046 that I was going to pair up. I wanted a six foot cut and missunderstood.
Happy New Years, stay safe and warm

Cannon makes bars in many sizes. If you're patient and willing to spend the cash. I have a dual power cannon milling bar with a helper handle for single powerhead use. 063 groove for 3/8 or .404 link length. It was called a 72" bar, but cuts a five foot wide slice in between the powerheads or handle. Have to look up what I was asking in sales thread if you're interested PM me I will get back to you. I have a ms-460 and an 046 that I was going to pair up. I wanted a six foot cut and missunderstood.
Happy New Years, stay safe and warm

I’ve got a Cannon 118dl .404” bar, & had some Cannon 104dl .404” bars on order at one time that got left off. ( I’m glad they did now because I was dreading shortening Chain)

Happy New Years.

Howdy,
I don't remember (not to say they weren't made) any 36" 12mm slot bars that were 108 on .404. On the 42" / 123 of .404, your option would be http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/power-match-bar-42o/ Just have to switch the tip to .404.
Regards
Gregg

Thank You.
4a7d93b924b451d9699b6278cdea27f9.jpg

Before They changed things, GB offered both this Bar & a 123dl version, & y’all sold them.

It’s unfortunate there isn’t anyone to fill that void.

Latest posts

Back