I'm looking for a new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blunt the top corner with a file. Have back handed it several times, or had wood shift/pivot and I've bump the top corner of the wedge. Now it just leaves a dent or scrape vs a messy cut.
Good gloves prevent cuts, but not the pinching effect. Which may be worse lol.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Good gloves prevent cuts, but not the pinching effect. Which may be worse lol.

Gloves are for the ladies that don't want to break a nail. lol
I never liked wearing gloves. They can cause you as much injury as none at all.
I wear them out in a few days anyway.

Gloves are for the ladies that don't want to break a nail, or get splinters, cuts, cold hands [emoji6]

I did the no gloves thing for a while, than I started wearing gloves and realized how silly I was. I get my leather gloves at Costco, in like packs of 5 or 10 can't remember. I hate the usless gloves with the velcro straps, they're uncomfortable and don't last but an hour, maybe less.

I agree, I split everything with the splitter setup vertically. I line the rounds up next to me, sit on one of the logs and split away.

Few weeks ago before I had minor surgery. This Elm filled the truck up with four loads this size.

3baa03e52f31a7db3d479bad1e0c6868.jpg
d97e65b2434374a1951c48dfe6bcd70c.jpg

That's some fine looking firewood, nice truck too.

I've used a Husky 22 ton splitter for 15 years now and I like that type of splitter. It's nice and slow and easy to control.
However, I'm getting tired of noodling big rounds down to manageable sises. I would love to have a log lift on my next unit. Any recommendations? Make, model, size, price,
My budget is around $1,500. to $2,000. I would like it to be in the 30 ton range.
Thanks
I just bought a Yardmax 35 ton splitter. I got it online after a lot of research. I would highly recommend this splitter. $1499

I don't think a block of oaks weighs that much! If so, a cord would weigh around 16,000lbs!
I used a log calculator. The calculator would not go down to 2' so i entered 3' got a weight of a 3' log at approx 1314lbs and divided 1314 by Screenshot_2017-12-31-12-59-30-1.png Screenshot_2017-12-31-13-38-41-1.png 2 to arrive at approx 650lbs 3' is 36" and 36 ÷ 2 = 18 . My log or round is/was 18"x35".
View attachment 622486 Screenshot_2017-12-31-12-59-30-1.png

Looks interesting. No info on the pump size, unless I missed it. With a cylinder that size it could be pretty slow unless it's got like a 28 GPM pump. Also, it's got no log lift, and the wedge shape is very obtuse, although the change-aroundability is interesting. And they seem to be from Ireland. Any stateside dealers?

Take a tape measure and stop watch. No data given.
Even running at 3000 psi, max I would run any consumer product, 4 inch cylinder is about 18-19 tons. (20-22-25 is BS)

5 inch bore cylinder is only just under 30 tons.

6 inch bore ID cylinder is needed for true 41 tons. 6 bore will be REALLY slow.

I think there is marketing magic here somewhere. Many of these advertise as calculated at 3500 psi, even though the components are rated or maxed adjustments at 2500 or 3000.

I had one salesman tell me one time ‘it is higher because our cylinders are so much more efficient’. Uh, F = P x A, and unless they discovered a way for the cylinders to be more than 100% efficient, he was full of it.

Neat concept for conversion between moving wedge or stationary push through wedge.

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

zu5rh1.jpg

Here is why.
My curant 22 ton splitter is old and needs quite a bit of work to get it back up to like new performance. I'm not ready to spend 5 to 8 grand on a high production unit, at least not at this time, but I need a heaver unit then the one I have. Having two splitters on the yard should help. I can reduce the work load on the old unit and use the big one on the hard stuff. It also gives me a back up if one should go down for some reason.
After looking at lots of splitters of this type and researching specs. I desided to give the Countyline 40 ton a try.
Side by side comparison of the Countyline 28 ton 35 ton and the 40 ton unit was interesting.
The cylinders on all are all the same size 5'' however that's where the similarity's end.
The 40 ton unit has beefed up everything. From a bigger beam, bigger motor, bigger pump, bigger hoses, bigger fittings, bigger oil tank, bigger tires. The 40 also came with a log craddle and a motor guard. The 40 also has a better more stable front jack stand.
Oh! lets not forget 9.5 sec cycle times vs. 14 sec on all the other units and a 10'' blade on the wedge.
Side by side the 40 is a much beefier machine.
From a video I saw (posted bellow) Countyline was or is owned by Speeco. I don't know if thats good or bad.

I didn't forget that I still would like a log lift at some point. This splitter is plenty big enough to support a log lift and I may put one on later.
I still like crane idea over a log lift but that can come later.
I realize you have to take manufactures specs with a grain of salt, but this is one heavy built machine.

Looks like a nice splitter, epically for the money.

If they all have the same cylinder the power is likely the same. The 40T does look much beefier, should last you for some time.

This thing is FAST. I just ran a few pieces and wow. Fast and powerful. It's almost too fast at full speed.
One thing I noticed right away is the grips on the push plate are almost worthless. Easy fix though.
I don't have time today to do an extended run. It's a lot more splitter then my 22 ton.

Back