Woodstove Bangs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does your house have a brief smell of smoke after the bang? If so your chimney needs cleaned. Happens at my house after I fill the stove. I’m not home much and my wife likes to fill the stove and choke it down. When I loaf it I let it burn hot for a bit and the excess smoke causes the creosote to let loose and fall, causing a quick backdraft.

Does your house have a brief smell of smoke after the bang? If so your chimney needs cleaned. Happens at my house after I fill the stove. I’m not home much and my wife likes to fill the stove and choke it down. When I loaf it I let it burn hot for a bit and the excess smoke causes the creosote to let loose and fall, causing a quick backdraft.
No smoke smell after the bang. Had it back draft once, didn't let it burn hot enough before I closed it up. Things seem to working fine now. I will be getting the chimney swept a week from today. I would do it myself but I am concerned about losing my balance once I got on the roof.

I had a Russo insert for almost 30 years and every time you fire it up for the first time, when it got hot, it would make a loud "Bong", like mentioned above. Sounded like a steel drum. Steel expands when it gets hot, and when it moves it makes noise. Last year we bought a new Jotul and I haven't noticed the Bong. But, I only fire up my stove once a year. Once it's going I just clean out what I need and keep the coals and fire going. If I let the old Russo go out, it would Bong when I started it back up, Joe.

Back