What do you consider too COLD??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated depends on what your doing. Cutting fire wood and hand splitting about -10 below is my limit. But at a auction sale to buy a used bit of equipment to save money about 35F is plenty cold and if colder I want that piece of equipment pretty darn bad.

I even dress warmer for standing around bull chitting with other people at auctions.

I did go to a auction sale once at 19 below because ai wanted to buy some bee keeping equipment.
I got a whole bunch of stuff for not much. Like 400 one pound jars and lids for a dollar and 500 2 pound jars for $2.00.

:D Al

Right now! The weather says it's 13 with -4 wind chill. I've been going out every hour or so and splitting a couple blocks of Ash and it hasn't been bad. Just went out and my splitting area is in the shade now and the wind is blowing so hard if I face the wind it blows my hoodie up like a ballon, if a put my back to the wind it wraps my hoodie around my face so I can't see. My nose, cheeks and teeth hurt. I wimped out after half a block and ran back in by the stove like a little girl. There is a reason my town is called Mt Airy. My old neighbor used to work at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab and he put up a wind gauge and tracked it for a year. He said we averaged 27MPH year round, right now it is hard to stand up, Joe.

Right now! The weather says it's 13 with -4 wind chill. I've been going out every hour or so and splitting a couple blocks of Ash and it hasn't been bad. Just went out and my splitting area is in the shade now and the wind is blowing so hard if I face the wind it blows my hoodie up like a ballon, if a put my back to the wind it wraps my hoodie around my face so I can't see. My nose, cheeks and teeth hurt. I wimped out after half a block and ran back in by the stove like a little girl. There is a reason my town is called Mt Airy. My old neighbor used to work at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab and he put up a wind gauge and tracked it for a year. He said we averaged 27MPH year round, right now it is hard to stand up, Joe.
The reason you can't stand up is because you've had one too many wobbly pops by the stove. :)

I made some general rules many years ago. if its -10F or colder outside i dont do anything unnecessary for any extended period of time. We go out and cut trees in the winter if its above 0F with little to no wind, sometimes colder depending on the size and type of jobs. Any colder than 0F and the hydraulics dont work well enough to be profitable. Wont go up in the bucket or do much of any tree work if the wind is over 30mph in the bare season, 20mph when the leaves are on. Wind rules really depend on what is under the tree too. Working over houses and all cut and chuck with a clear target on the ground we really watch the wind

We did a job yesterday with a bunch of trees on a lake shoreline. Starting temp was -2 and it was calm. Temps were pretty steady all day, really comfortable working. We fell all the trees from the ground and hooked up to as much as we could drag with a pickup. Two pickups with chains on, each dragging a load across the ice 1.25 miles to an access. Lots of warm up time in the pickup driving. It all depends on the job

Had to air up the truck tires yesterday after the dashboard warning light came on. All 4-tires were in the 20-25psi range.
Air compressor in the unheated garage made some choice sounds as it kicked over. Oil in the crankcase must have been like molasses.
Kind of went something like this: Gerrr.......gerrr......gerrr...... gerrr...... gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Second time it cranked it tripped the GFCI receptacle. That's not uncommon for a capacitor start style motor especially with a prolonged acceleration period.
Next time maybe I'll crank up the torpedo heater for a while to knock the chill off.

I used to work in any weather. Freezing rain, blizzards, tornado's, Hurricanes. It was just the nature of my job. I have worked in freezing rain and gone inside and stood my rain suit up in the corner and watch it collapse as the ice melts off it. Old man Arthritis now tells me how foolish that was then. Any more if its so cold I need a long sleeve shirt on to go out side, its to cold. If I need a jacket on to actually do any work, its to cold. If I need a heavy coat or coverhalls on, it better be an emergency. Unless the fish are biting then its "What Cold" Now ask me about when its to hot. Hottest place on earth is standing between two pieces of rail with the rail temps of 130*f+. No shade in sight and every tool you pick up is so hot you get blisters on bare hands. You can put enough clothes on to stay warm, but you cant take off enough to stay cool.

It was 1 F this AM, so I went and bought another saw(MS260 Pro used, very clean). Got home, put a row of wood in the basement, cleaned house and garage chimneys, blew off my parents sidewalk, hand split some rounds. In the house now, it's 6 F outside. May take a trip to the woods this PM just to check out our next project. Too windy to drop any trees today.

The 30 is good everything runs good dosent break as much full sun no wind is perfect

cfcd3748b5ceefdc670a51872d58d502.jpg

This morning was like cutting in the spring compared to the previous days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My working temps, when I’m not miserable are 60+, 10-32. Anything less then 10 above I can’t keep my fingers warm. And the 32-60 range is to much with jacket on, jacket off, sweatshirt off, then sweat, then chill.... it’s annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my 20s I spent a few years in MT. We'd see at a time at -30 to -40F without windchill. I learned a bunch about working in the cold because work needed to be done no matter the weather. Plus, I felt we had nothing to complain about because they were typically going through -40 to -50F in the Dakotas. These days at near 50 yrs old I still do OK in cold but I probably wouldn't volunteer to go out in -30 to -40 degree weather like I used to.

I have a small stove in the barn but without any insulation it doesn't heat much. Last weekend we hit a high of 8 deg in the sun and I was happy to work in the barn cutting small pieces of wood for a shelf I was building. But as the sun set and temperature dropped outside, the stove had more and more trouble making heat. I was having to spend more time in front of the stove warming and less working. I finally decided it was time to quit when, working about 30" from the stove, I noticed icicles in my moustache and beard. The thermometer read -5F when I got inside.

Unc, we lost 5 degrees in the house while watching that video.

I call it quits when it gets below -40. But that is if it is walking through the Bush and doing assessments. If it is working in the wind and handling a chainsaw I stop at -35. It gets too hard to stay warm after that. We have been pretty lucky this winter, only a couple days at a time with those temperatures.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

There's no temp to cold just inadequate clothing. Physical activity plays a large part of it though. I can go out and work my azz off in -15F weather and be happy all day but I could go sit on the tractor and plow for a few hours in 20F and get cold.

If you don't have one of these I suggest you get one. It's a neoprene face mask with Velcro closure on the back. Our keeps your face from freezing. Made by Gator. Google Gator face mask.414W0sh402L._SY400_.jpg

IMG_20180106_143623026.jpg IMG_20180106_143605784_HDR.jpg IMG_20180106_143552340_HDR.jpg On Saturday, I did some splitting. I'd say about 0deg. Average. I did a couple hours before lunch and a couple hours after. Friday I bucked these up, about 0 deg. average.
Seems like a good pair of boots helps keep the cold away. Otherwise, nothing special, just layer my junker work clothes.
I just find a pace, and if I'm sweating too much, I take a breather.
To be honest, when I'm taking the "breather", I'm thinking about which warm state i'd like to move to.

Latest posts

Back