Most snow you have gotten from a single storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 9', on a ski field in our Southern Alps. Took most of the first day thereafter to dig a tunnel out. Another day to dig out and get a tow rope going, and half a day to build a ramp and learn how to backflip. The biggest risk for stuffing it up and landing on our heads was mainly suffocation. Those were the days. There are worse places to be snowbound than a well stocked ski hut with a liquor licence.

So if you take into account traveling - I was in British Colombia and snowed in at Blackcomb / Whistler when we got 7 full feet non-stop- I never thought that there was too much snow at a ski area! - It took 2 days with helicopters and dynamite to knock down avalanche danger so they could open the upper areas.

I was 18 years old for that "78" blizzard. Lived back a half mile driveway on a dairy farm. 8 foot snow blower on a open station tractor to open the lane, got to the road and decided to go another mile to the state road. once we got there we realized milk truck aint coming, better round up some water tanks to put milk in.
That same storm reached Connecticut where I lived in '78. We got 24" from that monster in one 24-hour period. When it reached the east, it was pretty wet to boot. There already was 10" underneath it. I ran out of places to throw the snow. Nobody went anywhere. Plows were stuck everywhere. That might have been the same year the Hartford Civic Center arena roof collapsed from the snow load, completely destroyed. Luckily, nobody was watching a game.

Shoveled the roof ridge vent today. Beautiful out if you look past the mercury bulb and bundle up.
20180107_113301.jpg 20180107_113250.jpg

30" blizzard of '96. It was all melted and gone in exactly 1 week.

It rarely snows here in South Louisiana...we actually got snow in December and it was 12 hours of snow, accumulating 5".

Back in the 79 we got about two inches and it lasted about the whole a day. At that time I was living at 6,000 but my Mom was in Cathedral City California. It was fun to see the entire town go crazy with fear and shock. Thanks

Attachments

• snops.jpg
    snops.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back