Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to see someone still buys a brand new truck and uses the bed for actually hauling stuff!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
IMG_20170501_134932.jpgIt isn't new but its got an 8' bed and puts in work. Its also a rot box as it spent 5 years as a plow truck before my brother and I picked it up.

Icey rain due to start in about an hour. I moved my truck out from under a dieing red oak where I usually park it. The tree is starting to drop limbs, had one a few weeks ago that just barely missed the truck. I have been babying that tree since 1999 when I moved into this house. Back in 1974, my dad and I logged this place with a old d2 dozer. Dozer broke down and we got a large wrecker to pull it up the side of the mountain so we could work on it. The wrecker guy used a cable attached around the tree, to hold his wrecker while he winched, and girdled the tree. Tree wasnt much of a tree in 1974, but I estimate it is 36in at the base now. Hollow and dying. Had a bunch of dead limbs removed in 2016, looks like it will have to come down in the near future. That tree has a personal history and I will hate to see it go. I would post a pic, but its dark as a stack of black cats outside right now

Is this a brock trout?
That is a brown trout.

Good for you.
Just ate my 1st trout about 3 yrs ago...IT WAS DELICIOUS!:yes:
About $15 a lb around my parts...so they're in little danger from me. :laughing:

Eat them up Reggie. Bass and walleye usually get the catch and grill treatment from me. I much prefer them over our stocked rainbow, brown, and brook trout. Lake trout on the other hand are also delicious and I will eat them as well.

Thanks Cowboy. Two issues I am going to have with these big oaks...
1) They are laying plum flat on the ground, so the bottom horizontal cut will be tough,
2) They are froze solid to the ground. Not sure if I can move them and theres 3 of them laying close together so I cant get all the way around the logs, and I cant get to the middle one at all.

Caught me a feesh this today with the heat wave 18 degree high temps.

9c7ab0be86041fe568064d1c80579c6a.jpg

e4bac3bceef60593f7c886a34a638533.jpg
Beautiful! Did he eat any grouse flies?

That is a brown trout.

Eat them up Reggie. Bass and walleye usually get the catch and grill treatment from me. I much prefer them over our stocked rainbow, brown, and brook trout. Lake trout on the other hand are also delicious and I will eat them as well.
Yet to taste Walleye.
I here they taste similar to the crappie we have in abundance down here.

So, it finally got over 20* F today, so I had the itch to cut some wood. Tried out one of the Asian 660s. The saw ran well, but nothing ever goes too smoothly.

First, there are the delays based on calls from my clients, then I go to install the 28" B+C Matt got for his Dad ... Never send a Husky guy to do Stihl stuff, he got the 93 link chain instead of the 91 link, so I stole another B+C from one of my other saws. (my chains won't work cause they are .063 instead of .050)

Then I finally get over to my friend Tim's house (where I got my deer) and there are about 30 turkeys blocking the drive way, and they did not want to move.

So I sank the 660 into the dead Chestnut (Rock) Oak, and it did real well. Except when I tried to re fill it, the fuel cap started leaking! Stopped at an auto parts store on the way home and got some large O rings to replace the flat washers, seems to be working so far.

My new Fiskars X-27 (left the old one up at the cabin so I don't have to take them back + forth) split the dead, hard, cold wood very easily. I'm not even going to bother bringing the hydro over. Amazing how solid a lot of it is based on how long this tree has been down. There is another big dead one still standing that I may take down next year, but it is intertwined with some other trees, and may be larger than my 36" bar, so it will take some work.

Attachments

• IMG_20180108_133135867.jpg
    IMG_20180108_133135867.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180108_143611250.jpg
    IMG_20180108_143611250.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180108_143623121.jpg
    IMG_20180108_143623121.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180108_143655595.jpg
    IMG_20180108_143655595.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 37
Started to work off the Christmas excess, I actually got 45 mins of fiskars swinging and wood stacking done. Was good to finish splitting the last of the silver birch I scrounged a few months back. One piece was starting to rot but the rest was fine. Was good to get some exercise and to work on the wood pile, although it's hard this time of year as the lawn is such a swamp it soon gets messed up and although I'm not fussed about a bowling green finish, I'd rather grass than mud. Nice temperature to work though, a cool 4C

Hit close to 40* here, first time above freezing for a while. Pipes thawed out and my fears were realized, one froze and burst so when it thawed it tried to flood out the kitchen. Spent most of the day fixing that. If I can get a bit more of this snow out of the way I may be able to get back to the wood pile sometime this week!

Back