First new saw in 33 years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dozers do a proper job of land clearing. Mulchers not so much.
I suppose that depends on the type of land and what finished product you are after.

Mulchers have come a long way, but they are still a maintenance intensive pos compared to dozers, or most other pieces of equipment.
Well I went to youtube this morning to see one like yours running. They go through several rows of hell don't they...fast ha ha. I watched that for about 2 seconds and knew what you were talking about . We ( the dot) have hired several dozen of them they are helping to reclaim and maintain the back slopes of the interstate system where we cannot mow due to the steepness and the brush and small trees taking over.

Well I put the saw up on the bench today and ran a file over it and lowered the rakers a little. I used my Granberg and that got me to remembering that I have an Oregon copy brand new there someplace. I found it and will take it out to the woodlot and leave it in my saw sled then I will have one at home and in the woods.
I also took the air filter out and separated it and blew it out with compressed air. Then when I went to put it back together I put a little lubriplate white grease on the 2 halves then snapped them back together. I am hoping that will solve the fine dust that gets by the filter.

Well I put the saw up on the bench today and ran a file over it and lowered the rakers a little. I used my Granberg and that got me to remembering that I have an Oregon copy brand new there someplace. I found it and will take it out to the woodlot and leave it in my saw sled then I will have one at home and in the woods.
I also took the air filter out and separated it and blew it out with compressed air. Then when I went to put it back together I put a little lubriplate white grease on the 2 halves then snapped them back together. I am hoping that will solve the fine dust that gets by the filter.
Put a little on the elbow too.

Today I finally got back to the shop where I bought the saw. I left it with the mechanic and explained every thing it was doing, recoil rope not rewinding, not starting good after it has been shut off for 20 min or so and an occasional kick back sort of when cranking it over. After he has given it the once over he will call me maybe tomorrow.
I also asked about a carb tool and he showed me the same tool I have (but I forgot to bring mine in to show him). I was in hopes he could sell me a tool from Makita/ Dolmar but he said he had to buy his the same way I did? So it will be back to the drawing board I guess as far as a tool goes. Not impressed that I have to make a tool though. I have the same double D as his but mine will not fit. His did not fit very well,.. he was kind of jamming it in there wiggling it around to make his work. That is a piss poor set up I think. I think after he got it on the low speed screw he had wiggled it around sooo much that he had to try to count the turns as he closed the screw up then try to re-set it to the original position. In other word he moved the screws position trying to get his tool on the screw to start with. We will see but ,.... well I wont say it yet, I will just wait and see give him a chance to tinker on it some first.

Today I finally got back to the shop where I bought the saw. I left it with the mechanic and explained every thing it was doing, recoil rope not rewinding, not starting good after it has been shut off for 20 min or so and an occasional kick back sort of when cranking it over. After he has given it the once over he will call me maybe tomorrow.
I also asked about a carb tool and he showed me the same tool I have (but I forgot to bring mine in to show him). I was in hopes he could sell me a tool from Makita/ Dolmar but he said he had to buy his the same way I did? So it will be back to the drawing board I guess as far as a tool goes. Not impressed that I have to make a tool though. I have the same double D as his but mine will not fit. His did not fit very well,.. he was kind of jamming it in there wiggling it around to make his work. That is a piss poor set up I think. I think after he got it on the low speed screw he had wiggled it around sooo much that he had to try to count the turns as he closed the screw up then try to re-set it to the original position. In other word he moved the screws position trying to get his tool on the screw to start with. We will see but ,.... well I wont say it yet, I will just wait and see give him a chance to tinker on it some first.
If the shop does not really have the correct tool they may also be having trouble setting the mixture - which sounds to me to be what the problem has been all along. I suspect you've just found the root cause problem.

Yes that may be it, I need a tool that fits there must be someway to buy one? I am going to take my DD driver over with me tomorrow so he can see it. But if you have to jam it in there and jerk it left right up and down to get it on the screw..... well that's not good. I have one I made with a butt connector but I think I miss understood how to use it. I epoxied it to an ole cheap screwdriver with the intent on using the plastic insulator part as the "connection to the screw" I think I was supposed to flare and square up the inside of the connector..., the metal part to the shape of the DD needed. So I can redo this set up to work that way I think.

Yes that may be it, I need a tool that fits there must be someway to buy one? I am going to take my DD driver over with me tomorrow so he can see it. But if you have to jam it in there and jerk it left right up and down to get it on the screw..... well that's not good. I have one I made with a butt connector but I think I miss understood how to use it. I epoxied it to an ole cheap screwdriver with the intent on using the plastic insulator part as the "connection to the screw" I think I was supposed to flare and square up the inside of the connector..., the metal part to the shape of the DD needed. So I can redo this set up to work that way I think.
I'm not sure what your scews look like, but here is one I made to fit a Ryobi carb after the limiters were removed - it is a very small DD:

IMG_6077-1024.jpg
IMG_6075-1024.jpg

I just bought this set from Walmart.$14.85 this set has red handles and the design and printing on the handle is different from the set I own. Mine are black handled and look cheaper than these?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-2-Cy...-4-Piece-Tool-Kit-for-Small-Engines/167800121

I stopped by the dealer this afternoon and we tried my DD driver but it would not even begin to start on over the screw. So I will try these and hope they will work better? The saw is still there I kind of got after him yesterday asking how he could "set up a saw without sawing any wood" they don't have any wood at the store. Today he told me that they were waiting for the owners son to bring them some wood so he could try out my saw. I told him sure thing keep it till the end of day tomorrow but I will want it before 3:30 I am taking Friday off so he can keep it till Thursday afternoon then she comes home with me. He told me all the things he checked I will post what he did tomorrow after I see his list. Said everything looks fine but the carb settings were off some and now it starts and runs great! Well we will see tomorrow.

I said I would write back when I picked up the saw. So he said he checked the following, Pulled the muffler and said it was really wet in there looked like it had been flooded a few times. Checked the carb for leaks (leak down tester) found no issues. Checked flywheel gap and plug fire and replaced the plug again he said it looked really black and fouled. Pulled the recoil and checked it all over said it was really dry in a few spots? and needed some lube so he put on some white lithium grease. He re-adjusted the carb I told him it was not " cleaning up" in the cut it continued to burble. He said I was right and he needed to lean it out a little on the high side. He did have a log there to try it out in and I must say I think it still may be too rich but I will have to run it some myself to see.

As far as starting I don't think he had any better luck starting it than I did really. I think I may be guilty of buying into the hype but I just expected it to start on fewer pulls that's all. So if you read this , read it closely and give me your opinions on the way it starts.
When I got to the shop he said the saw in the unheated where house right now. He said he ran it about 20 minutes ago, for 20 minutes,.. the log he was using was new that day and I could see 8 or so cookies off a 20" log so he cut them with my saw.
He told me that the saw had sat for about 20 minutes since being run. I asked him ,now knowing It was run 20 minutes ago and being ran for 20 minutes how will you try to start it. He said " try it one pull if it does not start then go to the choke".

This is what happened, one pull in the ON position , then like 3 pulls with the CHOKE ON and it popped. Then maybe 2 pulls with THE CHOKE OFF and it started on the high throttle position. So 6 pulls to start a saw that was run 20 minutes earlier how does that sound? I have not used the saw yet driving rain yesterday and today it's supposed to turn to freezing rain later " big icing event" according to the weather guy ha ha who knows. Thanks for your time.

I got the set I ordered in the mail today, no go does not fit. I do think it would fit the flats of the screw maybe but the tools cannot get past the rounded first portion of the screw. I made a tool this last weekend that will work I guess but I just wish I had one that was made to do the job ya know? I used an old low quality Philips screwdriver and cut the head off then bored out the inside till it would slip over the round portion of the screw. By the time it would fit on over the head there was not much thickness left to form the flats needed to turn the screw. It would be nice to have had more left to form the flats with but the area the screws are in will only accept a small diameter tool ,like I used to make this one with.The only thing I can think of is at some point take the screws completely out and grind down the diameter of the beginning portion of the screw. Again very poor set up I say, you should not have to cobble together a tool to tune an brand new saw I don't think.IMG_1273.JPG IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1275.JPG IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1277.JPG

Today I ran the saw for the first time since the tune at the dealer on the 11th. It was 18* when I went out at 8:30 this morning much better than -18* of last week. The saw started on the first pull after having been sitting since last Thursday of last week.
I cant seem to go from choke to non choke fast enough to catch it and keep it running. So I shut the choke off and into the hi idle position and it started on the first pull again . This time I let it run for 20-30 seconds then blipped the throttle to set it to regular idle. I dropped 7, 10" -12 inch maples for firewood and limbed them all and twitched them to the nearest wood yard. On each subsequent re-start ( maybe 20 re-starts) it started on the first 1/2 pull every time. It ran great, and I think after I run it some more I may lean it out a little but all in all if it continues to preform like today I will be very satisfied .

Latest posts

Back