Do we generally hate Clamshells?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Hogden

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Yes / No?
bd94352fb14d2d44851e1dc13f968df7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes. I will only take them in for free and if even then I hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No. They can be fine saws. A 42cc Poulan can be a nice limbing saw. I won't pay much for a clamshell - don't care if it says Farm Boss and I should start drooling.

Other than the difficulty of increasing compression while modifying (not a design consideration), clamshells are the superior design. Some manfucturers have done a very poor job implementing them, which has given them a bad reputation for difficulty.

Yeah i have a MS181, MS250 and 023 In clamshell. They are all ok i guess. Not powerhouses though.

Yeah i have a MS181, MS250 and 023 In clamshell. They are all ok i guess. Not powerhouses though.

The power output has nothing to do with clamshell construction.

Other than the difficulty of increasing compression while modifying (not a design consideration), clamshells are the superior design. Some manfucturers have done a very poor job implementing them, which has given them a bad reputation for difficulty.

What makes the design superior?

McCulloch made a few clamshells that make good power. Believe Porsche, VW, Subaru and many aircraft engines are plenty powerful and reliable.

Don’t believe there is anything inherently superior about a case split on the axis or across the axis. But I’m listening.

Ron

My Poulan clamshell has at least 5 gallons of fuel through it and it still cranks. I don't think there is any reason that they should be avoided. There may be limitations to the design, but like anything else, if the machine is designed within those limitations, I see no reason to dismiss the design.

Also I have pro saws, and I have a ms250 my dad got me maybe 6-7 years ago....I have used/abused it and I still like using it.....I think the ms250 is very underrated....

I am not trying to pick a side, just saying the clamshells have kept many a family warm and presents Under the tree...

Pretty much all snowmobile engines are clamshell type....seen some badass snowmobiles too. As said above, clamshells in the saw world are usually poorly implemented and used on crappy saws. Mac 10 series saws are pretty sweet tho...

Back