Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What? Still no snow? Is that a normal thing for you?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Well now there , you jinxed me , we got the first snowfall of the winter season , about 7" fell this morning but the rain for Thursday will polly take it away so we'll be in the woods this weekend to add to the pile at the "Undisclosed" location lol

Been waiting to drag two downed 18" aspens out of the woods behind the house, high winds snapped 'em near the base about 1-1/2 years ago and hanging off the ground so I figured they would dry where they were and I could skid 'em out at my leisure. Last Sunday was the day, waited until after lunch when it got above zero, and with little snow for this time of year was easy to get in there and pull 'em out and drop 'em by the workshop where I bucked and and ran the chunks through the splitter. Why such small pieces? I'll use this wood in the converted oil tank stove to boil maple sap in a few months, figure the trailer load will provide enough Btu's to boil about 600 gallons; there's 1.3 cord as it sits in the trailer and when stacked should come out to just about a cord. Another 1/2 or 3/4 trailer load and I'll have what I need for the syrup season. Aspen ("popple" if you live north of Madison) and basswood are my favorite species for boiling sap, just like for the sauna up north at deer camp - yields a quick hot fire, but I throw in some good stuff (maple, yellow birch, oak, ironwood) if I want to keep 'er goin' overnight and have coals in the morningIMG_20180114_182145677.jpg

Been waiting to drag two downed 18" aspens out of the woods behind the house, high winds snapped 'em near the base about 1-1/2 years ago and hanging off the ground so I figured they would dry where they were and I could skid 'em out at my leisure. Last Sunday was the day, waited until after lunch when it got above zero, and with little snow for this time of year was easy to get in there and pull 'em out and drop 'em by the workshop where I bucked and and ran the chunks through the splitter. Why such small pieces? I'll use this wood in the converted oil tank stove to boil maple sap in a few months, figure the trailer load will provide enough Btu's to boil about 600 gallons; there's 1.3 cord as it sits in the trailer and when stacked should come out to just about a cord. Another 1/2 or 3/4 trailer load and I'll have what I need for the syrup season. Aspen ("popple" if you live north of Madison) and basswood are my favorite species for boiling sap, just like for the sauna up north at deer camp - yields a quick hot fire, but I throw in some good stuff (maple, yellow birch, oak, ironwood) if I want to keep 'er goin' overnight and have coals in the morningView attachment 626070
Liking that trailer!!!!!!

Must have been busy!

Question: how do you keep all that wood from rolling off the side of the Earth like that?

Philbert
It's the magic of the noodles not only at they spectacular are insulating and fire starting but they also alter gravity.
Actually I can't figure out why my phone keeps doing that every time I post pics.

20* F. Blue sky breaking this morning, but covered in snow. Nothing happening in the wood lot for over a month.
This pic is from a few weeks ago. We have had a spike a week or so ago, rain and 57 since, but again covered in a foot of snow and impassable for the small dia., wide floatation tires on the lift do to the rain packed base beneath the powder. One bay of the wood shed is empty and a cord and a 1/3 of Beach out side of the shed to stack inside. Been in the teens for a month with the one short spike.
Going through a bit of firewood keeping two stoves going. IMG_5610.jpg

Been waiting to drag two downed 18" aspens out of the woods behind the house, high winds snapped 'em near the base about 1-1/2 years ago and hanging off the ground so I figured they would dry where they were and I could skid 'em out at my leisure. Last Sunday was the day, waited until after lunch when it got above zero, and with little snow for this time of year was easy to get in there and pull 'em out and drop 'em by the workshop where I bucked and and ran the chunks through the splitter. Why such small pieces? I'll use this wood in the converted oil tank stove to boil maple sap in a few months, figure the trailer load will provide enough Btu's to boil about 600 gallons; there's 1.3 cord as it sits in the trailer and when stacked should come out to just about a cord. Another 1/2 or 3/4 trailer load and I'll have what I need for the syrup season. Aspen ("popple" if you live north of Madison) and basswood are my favorite species for boiling sap, just like for the sauna up north at deer camp - yields a quick hot fire, but I throw in some good stuff (maple, yellow birch, oak, ironwood) if I want to keep 'er goin' overnight and have coals in the morningView attachment 626070
Basswoods are a main food scorce for wild bees and honey bees I wish I had more of them around. Not a good firewood better off leaving them for the polinators.

Rarefish, I do similar.. All my cauls go in the woodpile in front of my house and are to be used before the sellable gets fired.. Kinda a pain but works for us.. And living in the poe side of the tracks any neighbor may come and get wood off the caul pile and heat their abode.. It's not the best business practice, but works for us..k

Liking that trailer!!!!!!
1968 model M101A1, replaced the military lighting with 12 volt LED, the tires were original which would have been a concern for me going down the interstate with a heaping load of hardwood so I popped for new skins right away, will probably last my kids' lifetime. I've had this trailer for about ten years and been trying to overload it ever since. Haven't succeeded yet.

Basswoods are a main food scorce for wild bees and honey bees I wish I had more of them around. Not a good firewood better off leaving them for the polinators.
That is good to know as I have a bunch of fruit trees and and would love to have more bees around. I don't have much for basswood in my woods here in wis. and I don't cut any unless they're dead or downed. I'm completing a log sugar shack build and had my eye on some nice basswoods that would have yielded primo logs....I did take out some very tall aspens close by since they were reaaaal straight and the right diameter and resulted in a bunch of nice logs, and the remaining logs (cedar and spruce) came from family land in the U.P., there is a ton of basswood there but most are too large for my project; mother nature brings some down once in a while and as long as I continue to make syrup I keep an eye out for any easy pickings. Not worth a hoot in my OWB but I like how it performs in the syrup stove.

Back