Occasional Bull rope use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westbrooklawn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a recommendation for a low cost bull rope for pulling whole trees when they have a slight lean. Since I would only use this once or twice a year I don’t want to spend too much. Looking for about 150’. Used to guide oak trees up to 65’ height, 18” diameter.

What are you pulling with? Winch, pick up, tractor?

Definitely go for a 200 footer. Say you throw over a limb at 60' and base tie, that only puts the end of your 150' rope at less than 70' from the base of the tree. A 200 footer puts it around 125ft, not accounting for termination knots, branches, terrain etc.

What are you pulling with? Winch, pick up, tractor?

Definitely go for a 200 footer. Say you throw over a limb at 60' and base tie, that only puts the end of your 150' rope at less than 70' from the base of the tree. A 200 footer puts it around 125ft, not accounting for termination knots, branches, terrain etc.
Pulling with tractor or heavy come along. Good advice on 200’. What brand, diameter, would you recommend for my needs? Again looking for low cost option.

1/2" double braid is generally our go to, most stuff is rated around 10k pounds max. A 3/4 or one ton truck can break it but not easily.
Look at samson stable braid or new england sta-set for lower stretch options.
How are you going to be setting your lines in the tree? If you don't have one already a throwline and two bags are very affordable and will get you excellent leverage with a little practice

1/2" double braid is generally our go to, most stuff is rated around 10k pounds max. A 3/4 or one ton truck can break it but not easily.
Look at samson stable braid or new england sta-set for lower stretch options.
How are you going to be setting your lines in the tree? If you don't have one already a throwline and two bags are very affordable and will get you excellent leverage with a little practice
I have a throw line and I’m fairly good with it. I usually put a rope on all trees I cut even when 90% of the time they will fall in that direction without a pull. Know my limitations! I just want a heavier rope for some of the larger trees I might deal with

Good advice @greengreer, 1/2 inch double braid bull rope aren't super spendy and will last a long time if not abused. 200 feet will give the little extra on occasional need trees. It's true if you butt tie you do loose quit a bit of rope but a quicker way of setting your rope instead of rodeoing your rope in the tree to get a good set so there isn' any bad branches that could possibly break on the pull.
I personally like Samson ropes but there are many others. Compare the load rating of the ropes your interested in and like stated, a factor of 5-1 for work load rating.

Latest posts

Back