Beginning to Alaska Mill. Which saw can I use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TennesseeTimber

Reaction score
Hello All!

First post to this forum. ( but a long time reader)

I’m wanting to start performing some occasional Alaska mill projects on our family farm and could use some advice.

I’m looking to purchase a new saw to mill with, but don’t want to spend as much as a Stihl 661 magnum. Could I get away with a 461? Or a 441 magnum? Is 5.9 bhp in the 461 enough for mill work? I like the idea of the M tronic adjustment for milling. Will that help? But I don’t believe that Stihl makes a 461 with auto fuel regulation. ( and the 441 (which has M) has even less bhp). What do you all think? Also.... thinking about a Granburg mill. Any other thoughts on this? Btw.... looking to cut cedar planks all the way up to black walnut on occasions.

Thanks Y’all!!

FWIW - I picked up a refurbished ms660 from a sponsor here and it has performed very well. My budget was limited and the money I saved getting a used saw I was able to put into bars & chains and other stuff. I listened to advice here and went with the 48” grandberg. When milling the smaller logs the extra rail length hasn’t been an issue and certainly nice to have for larger ones.

Look for a Stihl 066. Used, you can land one for 450-600.00 in my neck of the woods in very good shape. Seem to be alot of them out there on CL. For 48" bar and under, they will do the job, even in hardwood. Use a Granberg ripping chain. Alaskan mill is super. I also have a Panther mill, but like the Granberg since it is machined tighter and is lighter to maneuver.

Most of the trees I plan on milling are 30" or less. I went with a Granberg 30" mill and use a 28" bar. I might try going to a larger bar when I get my 80cc Mac just so it works easier but the 28" on my 70cc Macs has done a good job so far. Everyone says to buy the biggest saw you can afford and match your equipment to it. I agree.

You could look at making your own chainsaw mill and putting the money saved into purchasing a larger saw, I have 2 grabbers and 1 that I made myself. The homemade job cost about $50 in steel, bolts etc and works just aswell as the granberg

Latest posts

Back