Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
high dollar sticks??????? Veneer walnut they go subterranean
Ever done poles or sailing masks? Super high dollar sticks with lots of footage. Last poles we did were 1500 a thousand, last mast we did were around 2k and one was in the 3's. A Humboldt can be a low stump as well not all of them are done standing up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Saginaw?

Due Tail.

Besides conventional I've heard them called farmers cut, slop cut, okie face, and a couple more that I probably couldn't get by the censor here.
I've heard bullbucks say, especially when cutting big stuff,"Just the okie the damn thing, we'll have to long butt for the swell anyway".

Ever done poles or sailing masks? Super high dollar sticks with lots of footage. Last poles we did were 1500 a thousand, last mast we did were around 2k and one was in the 3's. A Humboldt can be a low stump as well not all of them are done standing up.

Pretty tough to get as low as a conventional stump. 1st, Remember east of the Rockies it's mostly ground skidding or forwarder. Going stump to stump is a lot easier if you can easily drive over said stumps. 2nd, we have shorter trees so every little bit counts. An extra 6 inches on a nice red oak stump can put you into defect and turn a veneer log into a number one. Then there's taper. An inch in the stump is worth a foot in the top.

A few years ago we cut some doug fir that was going for masts on an old sailing ship in Holland. I forget what they were worth but it was plenty. Big bucks. Enough to make a guy a little skittish anyway.
They had all kinds of rules about how they should be handled. Falling them was the easy part as long as you didn't bust one up. They couldn't have skidder marks or scrapes or loader marks or any kind of man made damage. The truck driver had to pad his stakes and put cloth under his wrappers
They wanted four and the forester found eight. We cut them all and the guy from Holland came clear over here to look at them. He wound up taking six.
The boss took us all out for a steak dinner that night.

Sent from my battered and coffee stained old lap top using two fingers and the occasional thumb.

Pretty tough to get as low as a conventional stump. 1st, Remember east of the Rockies it's mostly ground skidding or forwarder. Going stump to stump is a lot easier if you can easily drive over said stumps. 2nd, we have shorter trees so every little bit counts. An extra 6 inches on a nice red oak stump can put you into defect and turn a veneer log into a number one. Then there's taper. An inch in the stump is worth a foot in the top.

This is your 1st post I’ve Ever completely Agreed with.

Not that you care...

All I do is ground skid or shovel log in clear cuts, I don't have or have no reason to get into cable logging so I'm in the same battle. When we cut the low stump Humboldt we'll start with the face dig out the brush around it with your foot put it in, back cut will have to be back barred in or done with the saw standard wrap, it's not an uncommon deal unless you're in big flared butts.

A few years ago we cut some doug fir that was going for masts on some sailing ship in Holland. I forget what they were worth but it was plenty. Big bucks. Enough to make a guy a little skittish anyway.
They had all kinds of rules about how they should be handled. Falling them was the easy part as long as you didn't bust one up. They couldn't have skidder marks or scrapes or loader marks or any kind of man made damage. The truck driver had to pad his stakes and put cloth under his wrappers
They wanted four and the forester found eight. We cut them all and the guy from Holland came clear over here to look at them. He wound up taking six.
The boss took us all out for a steak dinner that night.

Sent from my battered and coffee stained old lap top using two fingers and the occasional thumb.
The last masts I did were for historic ships there was a place out of Aberdeen that was restoring them. The biggest ones we did went to the prince of Saudi Arabia is what we were told, then another older was some odd length beams for a local mill had to have X amount of heart wood for a ranch home in Texas from memory the length was around 53' an odd length but the money was great. Did you guys ever do bumper/fender logs? Good money for big rough hair timber I've always loved those orders.

Did you guys ever do bumper/fender logs? Good money for big rough hair timber I've always loved those orders.

We cut a few but not very often. We'd sometimes get orders for long logs with certain diameters that were quite a bit bigger than pole specs. They didn't pay as well as poles so we never chased that market very much.

I've seem walnut as high as $12,000/1,000. Seems like some guys use virtually no face cut and leave no hinge. I'm just a firewood cutter, scares heck out of me. Humboldt seems like a lot more work pulling up rather than using gravity and letting the saw eat.

I've seem walnut as high as $12,000/1,000. Seems like some guys use virtually no face cut and leave no hinge. I'm just a firewood cutter, scares heck out of me. Humboldt seems like a lot more work pulling up rather than using gravity and letting the saw eat.
Use the dogs, its really just a little leverage on the handle is all, not really anymore then a level cut.

I can sit in the same spot pull a face then a back cut off a dog on the saw show me a conventional face cutter that can do that? Most of your guys stuff is slow and doesn't pay be honest you guys do firewood for a living or pulp it's nothing like here I do CT for a living you guys back there are let's say.

Dawgs hang the saw on the stump, gravity does most of the work. Al you gotta do is aim for the corner. Gotta have long enough dawgs, though -- the stock single dawg on Stihls won't hang on to much of anything, so you really want at least the medium sized ones if you're gonna really use them at all.

If a Humboldt was more work we wouldn't do it at all pack in a 60" bar it's heavy let alone the power head.

There's no gravity I can let the saw eat with one hand on throttle like they should be, to the money how much do you think I made on one long log? Did I ever give you a footage? We make more out here then what you guys do with you tractors or cable skidder outfits back there you guys need to learn what a tree is, I thin what a tree is for height back there so quit, we cable long huge trees back there on tether ground.

''East is East and West is West and never the twain will meet.''

Trees are trees, I believe it was unfortunate that our brothers on the other side weren't as blessed by God and given equal timber.
That said, each region has or had OG timber, each place had giants, most of the east has been logged several times, very few giants left.
We still have them, lots of them.

Carrying on with the thread, I high stumped nearly everything, 90% Humboldts, steep and deep.

Latest posts

Back