Stove vs Insert?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Venditto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Should I get rid of my insert and install a free standing unit like Vermont Vigilant?

I have a 2300 sq ft ranch here in Westchester, NY. I have the insert in the basement. It's a Lopi Revere. It's properly ducted up a masonry chimney. There's no door in the stairwell.
I've had this setup for 15 years and it's been fine.
I keep the 3 thermos at 60 and the boiler won't kick over until it's less than 30 deg outside, roughly.
Downstairs is always 70+ and upstairs hovers in the 60s. I crank 'em up to 68 when we're hanging out ; )
I burn all decent seasoned hardwoods.
I know I'm saving heaps, but it doesn't blow me away.

I got the idea to remove the insert and install a free standing unit. I'm wondering if it will be worth the trouble.
The insert heats the brickwork up nicely, but I can't help thinking it's a sink.
I have a ~20" hearth which I'd have to chop out and re-brick, but it's do-able. I figure I can remove it IFO the fireplace and break it back on a nice angle. That way the stove won't be out into the room. The slates are 50 yo and have seen better days anyway.

Will I wind up with more heat?
Do they make a nice steel plate to cover the fireplace opening?

Thanks in advance gents,
TomJV

I switched from a Fisher Honey Bear insert to an Englander NC 30 free stander at the beginning of the 2016 heating season. I still have it on my hearth, but it's not closed off like the insert was. The new stove does do a better job of heating the whole house, but not by much. It does use less wood though, so overall I am happy with it.

I switched from a Fisher Honey Bear insert to an Englander NC 30 free stander at the beginning of the 2016 heating season. I still have it on my hearth, but it's not closed off like the insert was. The new stove does do a better job of heating the whole house, but not by much. It does use less wood though, so overall I am happy with it.
In all fairness, those are stoves of a different era aren't they? The Fishers were the bees knees in their time from what I understand, and the NC stoves are the current EPA bang for the buck champs.

I have a nice brick fireplace so I went with a big insert with blower. I’m sure the freestanding stoves will radiate more heat, just common sense. The insert was better for my situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Russo insert for 30 years, it stuck out on the hearth far enough to put a teakettle on it. In single digit weather I'd often have windows cracked. My wife wanted a prettier stove so last year we got a Jotul insert that's flush. The extra steel that sat out on the hearth produced so much more usable heat it's not even comparable. The Yotul is a nice stove, but it doesn't do what the old Russo would. Does your current insert stick out at all? If it sticks out a foot, you won't notice that much difference, it's almost a free standing anyway. If it's flush, you will notice a big difference. I'd probably stick with the old one if it's getting the job done, Joe.

Yep, the Lopi sticks out at least a foot.
TomJV

I had a Russo insert for 30 years, it stuck out on the hearth far enough to put a teakettle on it. In single digit weather I'd often have windows cracked. My wife wanted a prettier stove so last year we got a Jotul insert that's flush. The extra steel that sat out on the hearth produced so much more usable heat it's not even comparable. The Yotul is a nice stove, but it doesn't do what the old Russo would. Does your current insert stick out at all? If it sticks out a foot, you won't notice that much difference, it's almost a free standing anyway. If it's flush, you will notice a big difference. I'd probably stick with the old one if it's getting the job done, Joe.

Take off the plates and/or move the stove further out onto the fireplace surrounding the Lopi. Try the stove that way. If it does not make much of a difference, then keep the stove! I agree with cuinrearview. If there's a blower, I doubt a new freestanding stove will get better performance.

My biggest firewood customer uses a Lopi like this one. He runs through 7 to 8 truckloads of really good hardwood a year with it, thus burning even more logs than I do. His only complaint is that the maximum log length is 18". But, that insert kicks out heat galore (about 72,oo0 BTU/Hr), so he's keeping it.

I know we went with a freestanding for a couple reasons. A freestanding unit will give you more radiant heat without the need for a blower. When your power goes out, no blower, not so much heat either. The stoves have better boxes for loading. I LOVE my side load box. I can get more into the stove and not risk falling embers, etc. Now, that being said we went with a stove that sat right in front of our opening and piped a new pipe through our existing pipe for the POS pre-fab fireplace box. Installed out the door was 4750. We went with a Hampton by Regency and that little stove heats nearly our whole house except for the nastiest of cold weather. If I were building new - I would go wood stove. if you are thinking about replacing what you have - it may not pay to do that. Decisions, decisions!

I bought a 1986 Suburban Wood Chief about 6 years ago for $100, it holds a lot of wood up to 24" long and I can routinely get 10-12 hour burns with good seasoned oak. The stove inside and out looks like new, just replaced the fire bricks in it this year. It has a large ash pan in the bottom I empty without disturbing the firebox so I can burn 24/7 without bothering the burn box. I blocked off the fireplace and ran a pipe and set the unit out in front of the old fireplace. No noisy blower needed. For me it does the job great.

20170109_192443.jpg

Latest posts

Back