Bypass Lopper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called Fiskars . . . sending me a new blade... for free.
I have had that happen with both Gilmore, and Spear & Jackson loppers. Got free replacement blades or anvils in the mail.

My preference is for compound action, anvil loppers for removals. I get a lot of leverage, and good cutting on both green and dead wood. I guess that bypass loppers are better for pruning live, green trees and shrubs that you want to keep.

e.g. : Ace® Compound Action Anvil Lopper, Item no: 7094428 $29.99
http://www.acehardware.com/product/...33&cp=2568443.2568444.2598674.2601434.1260310

Philbert

I've never tried anvil loppers. Just figured they would be more prone to smashing green wood than the shear action of a bypass. I'll have to pick up a pair of compound anvils and compare.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've never tried anvil loppers
I have one of each style. After Gilmore was so good to me with the replacement, I bought one of their bypass models for green wood pruning.

The Ace Hardware model I linked is what I bought for some of my storm clean up volunteers - not worried about pretty pruning cuts, but we can cut pretty large diameter branches with the compound action.

Philbert

I've been researching the very same question for the very same problem. Buckthorn is my nemesis right now.

Here are some options I've found recently:

Felco
Swiss made. All parts are replaceable. Pricey. I have a pair of their hand sheers and they are VERY nice and very solid!
https://www.felco.com/us_en/our-products/loopers.html?filter=2&p=1&value={"min":0,"max":45}

Florian
USA made in CT. Don't know about parts. Pricey.
https://www.floriantools.com/tree-pruning-loppers

I have bent the handles of loppers with lightweight, tube handles so that is why I'm looking at the more expensive, heavy duty models. Buckthorn is a very dense wood. I'm currently using a vintage lopper where it looks like each handle and blade is 1 unit, so the whole thing is solid steel. Definitely not lightweight, but if I can get the branch or tree in the jaws, its done! But the jaws are small so that is why I'm looking at bigger option.

If you want the absolute best and are prepared to pay for it look into a NZ brand named Timbersaws™. I should have spent the money buying their loppers years ago instead of spending $100 every 12-18months on top of the line Fiskars. The Timber saws loppers will last many years used daily. Its the choice of orchid farmers that put many hours a day on them. I'd be well ahead had I pony'd up & bought the best years ago. But fiskars I can by locally where as Timbersaws products need to be imported. I use what's pictured below, they work well but I've snapped blades, bent and broke handles, had a customer drive over handle and break it on older pares. They updated them and made them stronger, this pair is over a year old. I won't buy sub $50 loppers with tube handles and compounding action that needs 2 or more actions to make one cut, they work well for a homeowner situation but will fall to hits used comercially.1516404784913.jpg

These certainly won't get commercial use, but we do have 25 wooded acres that are dense woody invasives. Trying to open up the understory to restore the oak savannah it once was. The loppers will see years of weekend warrior type of work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well for your intended use, you really should buy something decent. One tip: when cutting never twist handle while making a cut, the blades are quitle brittle & can snap. The blades are very strong if force is applied on them the way there meant to be used ie up & down. A dremel, bastard/raker file, abrasive disc or stone will keep them sharp. Like any edge type tool, keeping the blade sharp is important, the plants/trees will heal better with less chance of infection with a clean sharp blade.

Fiskars gear loppers work very well for the money and have a life time warranty.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Customer-Service/FAQs

I got a replacement blade for my 36" bypass loppers under warranty.

One work of caution though is NEVER cut dead wood. Cut green wood always at a slight angle as it cuts much easier. Dead wood will roll the edge over.

For hand pruners in the orchard I use Felco #2, they are the BEST.

Back