Forestry helmets (as of Jan. 2018)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm curious what other home owners are using as far as a forestry helmet goes? I've gone too long without head/face protection and I'm now dealing with some decent sized buckthorn trees on my property; lots of little branches and thorns to scratch my face or take out an eye. It would be in my best interest to get my head and face protected.

I've been reading other threads and some guys complain that the muffs on the Stihl helmets don't reach narrower heads (I have a narrow head). So I'm looking for decent options in the $50-80 range. Frankly, I think I would love an arborist helmet with a screen visor but can't justify the $110+ if something less will work.

Thanks!

Could you get it to work with a helmet like this?
Helmet accessories are only rated to work on the ones specified by the manufacturer. That said, many accessories may work with other manufacturers' products, if you are not worried about compliance issues.

The helmet you picked is a specialty Kevlar model designed for high heat environments, but does not have any accessory slots. So, 'No', it would not work with that model MSA helmet.

I thought that the link I supplied included the helmet - you can contact the vendor to verify. Otherwise, it would work with helmets such as this one (MSA V Guard helmet with front brim):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0776KKJ7...F0&pd_rd_r=FZF71GDS2YNNAPRBQG6Q&pd_rd_w=qwEHP

One of the things I like about these helmets is the durability of the components: I can take them apart and reassemble them for travel (packed in luggage or carry on) or cleaning. Some of the less expensive helmets provide basic protection but do not like to come apart - I have had components break when dissasembling.

Philbert

I've been happy with the basic Husqvarna helmet I picked up at Lowes. I was doing some work in pretty dense brush and had my glasses knocked off. Fortunately I found them quickly and undamaged. Bought a helmet soon afterwards. On the Husky you can snap the muffs off with a bit of effort and still have the face shield. I do this a lot when using my cordless saw.

Those MSA setups look pretty nice. I have a new Husqvarna helmet, the regular, not fancy one. If I were buying new I'd probably spend the extra few bucks on the MSA, but I won mine in a raffle. It's much more comfortable than my old Stihl helmet that's getting long in the tooth. The muffs are now comfy and they pop up off your ears with a much more satisfying action. The neck guard is a little goofy, but i put it on for a trial run. I'm very pleased with mine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Over the weekend I was cruising around on Ebay and came across a Husqvarna Arborist Technical Helmet up for auction:

http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety...qvarna-Arborist-Technical-Helmet-by-Petzl.axd

It was not appearing with other forestry/arborist helmets when I did a search and the existing bids were low, so I took a chance and threw a bid on at the last minute. I won it for $76 shipped! I've seen some reviews that question the lifespan of the foam interior but I've been a cyclist and skier for years, so I'm used to handling and caring for foam helmets. I'm sure it will last a long time for my weekend warrior uses.

I got smashed in the face by a loaded branch once. Fortunately I had a helmet with a faceplate, which I have no doubt protected me from injury, like a broken nose or something worse. The faceplate was broken but I wasn't hurt. I will never use a safety helmet that doesn't have a faceplate when I'm cutting my trees up.

Back