Bought My first ever Cord "GOT Taken To the Cleaners!!!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, yes I had one complain. It was one of my last loads of the season. When I talked to him I said I was cleaning up the wood yard and had a pile of short cut off ends, did he want them? I said I'd load the full cord first and then throw all the shorts on the back loose. We had an F600 with a 12 foot bed and 6 foot sides. I had lines painted on the sides for how high to stack for 16, 18, and 22 inch wood. I delivered on the weekend and first thing Monday morning he called and said he averaged in all of the shorts and only came up with 132 CF and I still owed him a bunch of wood. I said 4X4X8 equals 128 cf. I heard him punching a calculator, and he hung up on me. I have never given any one extra left over wood since, and that was well over 30 years ago. All of my cut offs and ugly's go straight to the burn pit. I have all my buddies over to drink beer, eat steamed shrimp and peanuts, and toast the guy that started the " Fire Pit Crew". Now I only cut wood to the length I use. My first stove used 16" wood, so most of my racks were made for 16". When I started cutting 18" I kept using the old racks, so now customers get an extra 2" per rack. But, I only sell a few cords to family and friends now, Joe.

I know that technically a cord or fraction of a cord is the only measure that is recognized when selling wood in most places. I agree that if you are buying a cord of wood, you should get a cord of wood. That being said I see no problem with selling or buying wood by the trailer load, truck load, car load, bag, cart, or wheelbarrow load. The key is that both the buyer and seller understand and agree on the amount in question.

Most people have no concept of how much a cord is so it is important for the seller to make sure the buyer understands the amount they are getting. In my experience most people who burn for ambiance think a “face cord” is a cord. This doesn’t excuse a seller from using incorrect terminology whether the goal is to deceive or not. Someone may not be happy to receive a full cord when they are expecting 1/3 of one and obviously vice/versa.

The buyer on the other hand needs to take some steps to protect themself also. Ultimately the buyer pays the price. Once the wood is unloaded the odds of correcting a bad deal are pretty slim. Trying to force an unethical person to make good after the fact probably isn’t worth the firewood. I don’t know that it is necessary to inspect the sellers goods on the sellers premises before buying. We aren’t talking about a major durable goods purchase. A few questions like what kind of wood is it, what kind of truck are you delivering it in, are we talking about a stack of wood that equals 128 cubic feet are a good start. Inspecting the delivery before accepting it would be a good idea unless you have experience with the seller.

If the seller is delivering a “cord” of wood in a pickup truck for $100 then you aren’t getting a cord. As much as I would like it to be true, it just isn’t going to happen. Even if the seller swears it to be so. Communication is the key to avoiding disappointment in life.

The OP said it was a dump truck. I had a friend in high school that built a rack for his F250. Back then we split most of our wood at 24". His rack was 4' high and protected his rear window, the other half went between the tailgate, also 4' high. He stacked two 4 foot high rows down the middle of the 8' bed. Exactly 4X4X8, so it can be done. I agree with you, and warn people, that it's hard to put a cord on a pickup. It will definitely kill a half ton and forget about a short bed. We had a 78 F600 chipper box on a 12' bed with 6' steel sides that would hold 3 cord, we used to laugh at Todd going down the road with his pickup loaded down, Joe.

My flatbed is a 3/4 ton dodge, not sure of exact size right now but I think it is 7'-6" wide and just over 9' long. I have 5 different size sets of racks for it. When I haul wood in it I have plywood racks that lock together. Racks are 7' wide x 8' long and 4' high. We drop the wood into the center of the racks off the conveyor and when I can see the splits from the bottom of the conveyor we stop loading. I then level the pile out so nothing can blow out. It ends up about 3'-6" leveled. I've had tons of customers stack the wood and everyone has said it comes out to just over the 3 face x 16".

Well I got Screwed Twice in two weeks!!! NO CHECK and His final words to me were to "Go screw myself" (that's the nice F... version!) In addition he added "you paid in cash so do what you have to to prove you bought any wood from me." I am on vacation in philly!
I sincerely apologize for posting this for all you honest guys out there! And I know its the majority of you! Believe me when I say: This is gut wrenching for me! PS I am an honest Christian run of the mill guy!
Here is my story:
IT's been over a week. So I Called the Seller on his cell phone ( same as the business phone of his christmas tree shop website!) I believe he is the 34 year old son of the original owner since he goes by the same name with JR. So Right off, Seems he inherited a business that his father worked hard to establish!
The conversation went like this : It been a week I was expecting the check by now, his response "I will try and get someone out there next week." Are you kidding? I responded? Do You really believe I would go thru all this aggravation just for a half cord? That's not what you originally promised. Your words were "I will make good on it. Just send me the pix"........ Well Obviously I started to lose my cool. I said do you really want to take this direction? He suggest I get my town involved and get an official out to measure the wood. Claiming there is an official wood measurer in every town. ( I said to myself unbelievable??) I called the police in his town and he suggested that I may have enough evidence in the text and phone records to incriminate him. Well Small claims will cost me $95 to put in an application not to mention all the time and effort and aggrivation. So I am not sure what to do.
He also stated that He has sold over 300-350 cords this year and has yet to receive a complaint. By my calculations $70-$80,000 in firewood sales. Not to mention the tree service, landscaping and christmas tree income along with the retail store.
For those of you who insist on knowing the price I paid $225 Although I don't see the relevance of the matter at hand.

It has got to be bad to drop a dime on somebody. Around our neighborhood, and I've been at the same house for 35 years, and I'm still the newbie on the block, we have a saying, "we don't call 911". This attitude has served us well. Not saying it will work in other neighborhoods, but does in ours.

Some people just don't speak the language of decency, respect, and common sense. You have to learn what language they speak, and make them understand on their terms. Obviously this jackass needs to be spoken to through the legal system, or through word of mouth locally. Whenever a business does me wrong I feel obligated to cost them at least twice as much future business. I work for the largest employer in my mid-sized town, so a little sharing about my experience goes a long way.

Well I got Screwed Twice in two weeks!!! NO CHECK and His final words to me were to "Go screw myself" (that's the nice F... version!) In addition he added "you paid in cash so do what you have to to prove you bought any wood from me." I am on vacation in philly!
I sincerely apologize for posting this for all you honest guys out there! And I know its the majority of you! Believe me when I say: This is gut wrenching for me! PS I am an honest Christian run of the mill guy!
Here is my story:
IT's been over a week. So I Called the Seller on his cell phone ( same as the business phone of his christmas tree shop website!) I believe he is the 34 year old son of the original owner since he goes by the same name with JR. So Right off, Seems he inherited a business that his father worked hard to establish!
The conversation went like this : It been a week I was expecting the check by now, his response "I will try and get someone out there next week." Are you kidding? I responded? Do You really believe I would go thru all this aggravation just for a half cord? That's not what you originally promised. Your words were "I will make good on it. Just send me the pix"........ Well Obviously I started to lose my cool. I said do you really want to take this direction? He suggest I get my town involved and get an official out to measure the wood. Claiming there is an official wood measurer in every town. ( I said to myself unbelievable??) I called the police in his town and he suggested that I may have enough evidence in the text and phone records to incriminate him. Well Small claims will cost me $95 to put in an application not to mention all the time and effort and aggrivation. So I am not sure what to do.
He also stated that He has sold over 300-350 cords this year and has yet to receive a complaint. By my calculations $70-$80,000 in firewood sales. Not to mention the tree service, landscaping and christmas tree income along with the retail store.
For those of you who insist on knowing the price I paid $225 Although I don't see the relevance of the matter at hand.
So you don't want us too "draw conclusions" based on what you paid, yet you list his age, that he is a Jr., and that he was likely given everything based on pure speculation? I see your a designer should I conclude you've never had a hands on job in your life? Also why list your s Christian? See my point? Just because he is a Jr. and 34 doesn't mean he was given a successful business. I know plenty of people that age that started there own successful businesses. Why assume? To be completely honest it sounds like you were an ******* on the phone. Again, if someone called you and starting yelling at you and acting that way how would you have reacted?

I think your best options are to either drive to his business and nicely ask for a refund check, or learn from the experience and next time be home when they deliver and see the wood before money exchanges hands. I don't see any town or state officials wanting to get involved over a half cord of wood, and court will cost more than the wood.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment Sir. As I am understanding it, this was a follow-up call after the promise of a refund check was not fulfilled. This person is dishonest and his practices will only continue until someone shows him the correct way to conduct himself.

I do agree, however, that to pursue this strictly from a financial standpoint would be foolish. But that's probably what he's counting on.

This is one of the reasons why as a seller, I never deliver to a first time customer without them being home. Or stopping by to see the load and make payment. I know what I deliver but after the fact is too late, how do I prove I delivered a cord
and you didnt already put half of it in your basement? How do you prove I didnt bring a cord?

David

Why did you call the Police in his town? The local, county, and state police don't do weights and measures. I even looked up "Weights and Measures" in your state and posted their number. You first posted on the 11th, the "weights and measures" number was posted on the 12th, now it's the 20th. A couple other guys said call "W&M". Have you called W&M yet? 72cf vs 128cf sounds like the definition of a W&M issue, yet you've waited over a week, in one of the worse cold snaps ever, and given this low life all the evidence he needs to kill your case. All he has to do is say, "It's been cold, he burned it", case closed. If you called W&M on the 12th or 13th he wouldn't have a case, and would be left with proving you resold it or gave it away, not likely. You were given the info you needed and chose not to take five minutes and make a call. I'd file this under "Shame on you", Joe.

Maybe I'm mis-understanding. Didn't the OP contact the seller immediately, and had an amicable conversation? I know I don't automatically assume people to be liars

I think your best options are to either drive to his business and nicely ask for a refund check, or learn from the experience and next time be home when they deliver and see the wood before money exchanges hands. I don't see any town or state officials wanting to get involved over a half cord of wood, and court will cost more than the wood.
This is the point I've been trying to make. When we get wronged the first reaction is to call the Police. This is not a Police issue. It is not the issue of Town and State officials. It "IS" the jurisdiction of W&M. I'm a fourth generation Arborist, retired. My family has sold firewood for 4 generations, I know who to call. I gave the OP the number to call the day after he posted. So? On the internet every one has 2 cents, and my 2 cents is worth the same as every one else's. But, when someone advised to call him and state your case, you wind up wasting hours. When he says he'll get the check out, your wasting days. When you call the Police, wrong entity. At least W&M is the correct people to talk to, they will take the info and follow up on it, it "IS" "THEIR" job. The case would have been started in a timely fashion. Have they been contacted yet?

This is the point I've been trying to make. When we get wronged the first reaction is to call the Police. This is not a Police issue. It is not the issue of Town and State officials. It "IS" the jurisdiction of W&M. I'm a fourth generation Arborist, retired. My family has sold firewood for 4 generations, I know who to call. I gave the OP the number to call the day after he posted. So? On the internet every one has 2 cents, and my 2 cents is worth the same as every one else's. But, when someone advised to call him and state your case, you wind up wasting hours. When he says he'll get the check out, your wasting days. When you call the Police, wrong entity. At least W&M is the correct people to talk to, they will take the info and follow up on it, it "IS" "THEIR" job. The case would have been started in a timely fashion. Have they been contacted yet?

Well put. This is not a Police matter in any way, shape or form.

There are a couple threads going on this same issue so crossing up the details are easy to do.
I believe the OP did buy from a reputable firm, not a fly by night.
The load was not delivered in a pickup.
He did pay full price for a full cord.
It looks like he did get ripped off by the pics.
I apologize if I get a little gruff and to the point. We have this issue every year with our own members and newbies. Calling a crook doesn't help, calling the wrong entity doesn't help. W&M are handled by different agencies in different states, May be the AG dept, DNR, or Consumer Protection. One call to the proper agency will take care of the problem. Us talking about crooks and our past experiences for 9 days really hasn't helped the OP. Sorry again if I offend anyone. I hate wood crooks, Joe.

I did call W & Measures at the number you provided, its a consumer protection division dealing with drugs. Why would i have persued it further when I was promised he would make good and I was going to get a check for the difference? He played me well. And yes it is eating up valuable time.
And YES I do believe he wants me to take the legal route! Evidence is working in his favor but even though I did get frustrated on the phone, how would you react when those words are spoken to you?
I really cant believe anyone in their right mind would go thru this frustration over the monetary value and material involved? IT has to do with his values and honesty as a merchant in the surrounding communities!
Bottom line, I would of gladly of let this drop over 1/4 cord or maybe even a 1/3 but close to a half upsets me a great deal! Just not right!
Sorry for my venting.
Thanks rare fish!

Back