Stove outlet higher than thimbal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Wayne

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A bit off topic as this is a syrup evaporator but the problem would be the same. I want to remove the stove in my shop to set an evaporator but the color on it comes out the top which will be a lot higher than the thimbal in the wall. I dont have measurements yet, but am guessing 2-3 feet. Will it work to use 90 degree fittings, "it would require three" to get back down to the thimbal?

Thanks, David

I don't think you ever want to go down with a flue pipe. Can you go straight up through a new roof jack or chimney pipe? Or move your thimble up?

Thanks for the reply, I dont want a roof penetration for chimney and shop chimney and thimbal are heavy iron pipe welded together. I havent bought evap. yet so maybe I will look at something different like a half pint that will fit with what I have.

David

OK. Don't know what your shop situation is, or evap. But all evap installs I have seen have single wall all the way, going straight up through a roof jack.

Stickyness shouldn't be an issue if you can manage spillage. I'd likely be more concerned about condensation and moisture getting into the structure. If anything.

I appreciate the concern. The ceiling is painted steel, walls painted wood if there are problems I will adjust the process. When I say allways a breeze is a bit of an under statement. When I open both doors there is not much need to sweep the floor, its like a wind tunnel, especially in March.
I tell people this is "Kansas" Ohio.
On a side note I am going to look at a new Leader supreme Monday. From photos it looks like it will be able to use the existing chimney without making a down turn.

Thanks
David

Build yourself a hood over the evaporator to control the steam, you will be glad you did. Another thing to keep in mind is if you have both doors open and a good stiff breeze it will take a lot more wood and a lot longer to boil it down (unless you like cutting and splitting and tending till the wee hours) LOL

I know it will be late nights early mornings, but as the wife tells everybody I am retarted/retired LOL
The evap. wont be in direct line of breeze. This hobby is like guns & saws$$$. Tap a dozen trees boil on wood burner. Tap 30 trees buy storage jugs, cut big holes in top of wood burner to increase heat transfer and buy turkey fryer to keep up. Take vacation up through New England states [beautiful country side] to visit sugar houses to get more stupid ideas of things I need. Buy an evap. to increase number of taps again. Buy a syrup thermometer, buy a hydrometer. Now you want me to buy/build a steam hood. Next on the list will be just go ahead and build a sugar shack! LOL
Ahh but the sweet success.

David

I love to hear when people love their hobbies. My wife was talking to an old friend the other day and was asked how the family was doing. She bragged about our daughter getting her Masters in 5 years, and bragged about our son getting 3 degrees in Physics and computer science, and having one of those jobs, where, "if you knew what I did, I'd have to kill you". Then her friend asked how I was and what was I up to since I retired. She said, "He's happy as a clam, out back some where, making saw dust! That I have to pick out of all of my underwear and bra's, every time I do laundry.". Life is good, once you retire, Joe.

I love to hear when people love their hobbies. My wife was talking to an old friend the other day and was asked how the family was doing. She bragged about our daughter getting her Masters in 5 years, and bragged about our son getting 3 degrees in Physics and computer science, and having one of those jobs, where, "if you knew what I did, I'd have to kill you". Then her friend asked how I was and what was I up to since I retired. She said, "He's happy as a clam, out back some where, making saw dust! That I have to pick out of all of my underwear and bra's, every time I do laundry.". Life is good, once you retire, Joe.
Oh Joe, you had me at underwear and bra's

Back