im looking the larges wood stove that i could buy to heat my home

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny100

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
what would be the largest factory made wood stove i could buy to heat my house

largest free standing wood stove or wood furnace?

do you want a Cat stove or traditional EPA secondary burn wood stove? The Blaze king/King is nice LARGE Cat stove that is very efficient, but may not be suitable for your home. Englander NC30 is a relatively inexpensive BIG wood stove. My Pacific Energy Summit with 3 cu ft firebox and stainless steel secondary burn chamber is a solid performer but a little more expensive than the NC30.

LOTS of options to look at but first tell us more about the size and layout of your home, your chimney type and its location in your home, your budget and if you have backup heat or not.

I have the Drolet HT2000 and love it.
I heat a 2400 sq ft., 2 storey house with it.
(As well I use a pellet stove upstairs for main bulk of heat during cold months.)
Firebox is 3.4 cubic feet and can fit a 22" log.
Also has a spot for two blowers on back, one of which I have installed.
Has aux type burn tubes to re-burn gasses and it is efficient.
I've noticed about a 40% saving on my firewood consumption.
Great stove for the money. Got mine through Costco, delivered for $1500CAD.

Neal, you are getting wiser by the minute! I was going to suggest one of the double 55 gallon drum units. We had one in my Dad's work shop. It lasted several years, and was really cool watching the flames dance through the metal after it started glowing red, Joe.

Hello,
I have the biggest Napoleon stove, I believe it is a 1900. I have a big house and it works great !!!! When I bought it 7 years ago, I was also looking for the biggest stove I could get. I think QuadraFire also had a big one, but I liked the Napoleon better.

Henry and Wanda

free standing wood stove
not a furnace

Centrally located Brick Chimney with clay liner?
Centrally located steel pipe chimney?

Chimney in or on outside wall?

Stove placement in basement, main floor, upstairs? Layout of home?

The chimney is the engine that runs your stove. A BIG thermal mass chimney usually won't run a Cat stove well, as they don't throw enough heat up the chimney to store in the thermal mass, making for a weaker draft and back puffing when re-loading wood. However, for a free standing stove in the centre of a home on a straight up 8" steel flue, bob's your uncle, a BIG Firebox cat stove like the revered Blaze King/King (needs 8" flue) is a great solution for heat output, ease of use and long burn times. Couple of my neighbours have a BKK.

Chimney on outside wall is far less efficient than chimney inside the home. Some Scandinavian and Maritime homes with brutal winters build central chimney of rock or brick which acts as thermal mass to hold the heat for hours after the stove goes out. a Cat stove would not work well on this type of chimney for reasons I've explained.

A chimney in centre of open plan home also provides better heat distribution throughout the home so you may not want the largest wood stove which could roast you out of your main living space.

Lots of good stoves mentioned here and each will likely have their favourite. 3 cu ft to 4.5 cu ft stoves are available in many Cat and normal EPA secondary burn brand stoves.

Size is not everything, but if you want the most radiant heat, a large firebox certainly helps. Just make sure the stove is suited to your home and chimney setup.

Latest posts

Back