Catalyst stove for pole barn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12vdzl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Blaze King Princess that we heat our home with. I couldn't have made a better decision for the home.

My new dilemma is.... Do I buy another Blaze King for my pole barn? Or are there other manufacturers that you would suggest for my 24X52X10 pole barn. I'll have an automotive repair shop (side biz) setup. I am heavily thinking about spray foaming the walls 2"thick and cellulose in the top 12" or so deep. With all of this said I don't have deep pockets but, will lay out the cash for the best equipment.

Make sure your insurance is ok with a wood burner in the pole barn. Many are not based on fire code.

This. Times 100. Very especially if it's a business, and fixing cars. That doesn't sound like a place for a wood stove.

I would consider or investigate a furnace instead. You could wall off a separate room for it if needed, with short duct connecting. And outside air hookup for combustion air.

Make sure your insurance is ok with a wood burner in the pole barn. Many are not based on fire code.

Why would a sealed wood stove be any more dangerous then a gas heater. They both use an open flame to make heat, and both have sealed fireboxes.
Oh, I know, Gas depends on the grid, wood stoves don't. Never mind.

Why would a sealed wood stove be any more dangerous then a gas heater. They both use an open flame to make heat, and both have sealed fireboxes.
Oh, I know, Gas depends on the grid, wood stoves don't. Never mind.

Likely due to chance of hot coals being spilled onto a floor that has some low hanging gas fumes hanging around on it.

If not that they will come up with another reason. Insurance is a racket a lot of the time but you kind of have to go by what they say if you want coverage - even if there is sometimes no common sense to what they are telling you. (They make us regularly change oil tanks up here even if they are as solid as the day they were made & safely stored inside out of harms way).

I agree the stove in the shop doesn't have to please the eye and function is the utmost important factor.

What model of stove should I be looking for? The stove won't run 24/7. Truthfully, Probably only a couple days a week. The barn would also be a place to hang out with family and friends.

I think I would look past stoves to a furnace even if my insurance said a stove would be OK (can pump out a lot of heat in a hurry for a quick shop warmup). Which I doubt they would but you don't know until you ask. And it does need asking, straight up, unless you are going without insurance on the building.

I have a 30x60x14' ceiling pole barn/shop that I do only residential things in. The stove install was permitted and after switching insurance companies, the place is insured. I also use a blaze king cat stove for my house and it is awesome.

In the shop I installed a much cheaper and bigger Englander NC30 since I only burn occasionally and really need huge output when I burn. If an oily rag made it into a cat stove you can say goodbye to that 200$ cat element. I run the NC30 hard and it has been a real tank.

I think it is stupid that you can't have woodstoves in garages. Good thing my building isn't a garage, it's a shop.

I have a 30x60x14' ceiling pole barn/shop that I do only residential things in. The stove install was permitted and after switching insurance companies, the place is insured. I also use a blaze king cat stove for my house and it is awesome.

In the shop I installed a much cheaper and bigger Englander NC30 since I only burn occasionally and really need huge output when I burn. If an oily rag made it into a cat stove you can say goodbye to that 200$ cat element. I run the NC30 hard and it has been a real tank.

I think it is stupid that you can't have woodstoves in garages. Good thing my building isn't a garage, it's a shop.

I agree that it's rather silly not to have a wood stove in a shop.

Regarding your shop stove, do you have to play around with it much if you step away, leave for a while or just leave it burn? I've had older stoves and never developed a trust with them to keep them burning so I was always careful about loading, planning and cycling so they were never burning without my presence. My BK, I have nothing but trust with which is why I asked if I should look into another

Thank you

Silly? I won't argue...but I'd be upfront with my insurance agent. The aftermath could be ugly.

Always upfront, no cutting of corners. When I called about adding my woodstove in the house I about fell out of my chair.

Option A - self install (this is the option I chose) equalled $12 per year.
Option B - professional install with receipt mailed into insurance provider equalled SUBSTANTIALLY less than option A... Haha it's hard to beat $12 per year!!!

Update, I'm really eyeballing an NCH30.

Have you called about adding a woodstove to the shop yet? Unless you aren't going to insure the shop, that would be my first call before eyeballing too much.

I would think a wood furnace would be the way to go. It works good in my house and heats fast. If I had a pole barn I'd want to go start a fire go back in the house and then go back out in a half an hour and have it warm in there.

I think eventually when I can I am going to switch to an Englander furnace in my house. This daka is way to small and a pos.

Back