Damage to 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I bought this second hand and never noticed. But either way it worked flawlessly for me. I don't know what the new owner did (if anything). He is to send more pictures today. Either way I have to make it right. I'd be pretty upset myself for sure if this happened to me. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad. I just hate when someone else pulls **** apart. Not that a lot came off.
He had it 8 days before he called me about it and said he only used it for 20 mins in 8 days??

Got more pictures from him. That piston sure looks dry? Missing crank bearings and looks like. Needle bearing might be missing under the rod in the one picture.
0b9b06cbcc02d7cd2f6761090875eca0.jpg
679315385a0900ae889428c633d5207f.jpg
f575db2b8b41406aa769b6b9249def9e.jpg
46b091aa53528f4ef4d84c2863245422.jpg
6664d628f216bd0b30d28cc9cc69a487.jpg
5b2f9fb0d5c0384a7e31edc0bb636662.jpg
c9ecd622dfe8ebb77c653287867b6402.jpg
dcbd245d98df73ca7770318885d8d95a.jpg

If any one of those bearing was toast anyone with enough mechanical aptitude to take a saw down that far should know which bearing failed. So, did he tell you which one failed yet?

If any one of those bearing was toast anyone with enough mechanical aptitude to take a saw down that far should know which bearing failed. So, did he tell you which one failed yet?
Lol very true. He definitely shocked me with his ability because he didn't really lead me to believe he was that apt when he picked it up. But some play that way when you sell stuff I have found. He said the crank bearings and missing a couple of ball bearings, connecting rod needle bearings all look intake and just the lighting in that photo. Piston is toasted as you can see and surprisingly he says the cylinder is "silky smooth"....dont know how that can be, but he insisted it is and I asked about below the intake and he said all good. Regardless it looks like I have a saw to make good on, that I was hoping left my herd for good.

Lol very true. He definitely shocked me with his ability because he didn't really lead me to believe he was that apt when he picked it up. But some play that way when you sell stuff I have found. He said the crank bearings and missing a couple of ball bearings, connecting rod needle bearings all look intake and just the lighting in that photo. Piston is toasted as you can see and surprisingly he says the cylinder is "silky smooth"....dont know how that can be, but he insisted it is and I asked about below the intake and he said all good. Regardless it looks like I have a saw to make good on, that I was hoping left my herd for good.
None of the bearings lost a ball. There would be more damage if a ball actually came out of the race. That damage could be from a failed cage but seems weird it would score the intake skirt like that. If you need to eat the elephant it looks like an AM piston, crank bearings and seals would make it a runner again.

Personally I'd ask for at least 50% the cost of parts and offer the labor to fix it. I would probably draw the line at that. If it does need a cylinder maybe split cost of a good used one?? Idk, questionable. Idk what your margin was on the sale but that IMO is being generous.

Are you running a small word of mouth shop or word of mouth side business selling saws? If not and only sell one saw a year I'd tell the guy Good For You. sold as is. Ok, maybe throw him $50 partial refund since he says the cylinder is good.

Got more pictures from him. That piston sure looks dry? Missing crank bearings and looks like. Needle bearing might be missing under the rod in the one picture.
0b9b06cbcc02d7cd2f6761090875eca0.jpg
679315385a0900ae889428c633d5207f.jpg

First pic is clutch side. Retainer in the bearing is intact. Second pic is the flywheel side. Retainer is gone and the balls are stacking up instead of being held spaced apart by the retainer. The balls stacking is why the new owner is thinking some are missing.
I'm going to go with bearing failure. The plating in the cylinder is harder than the piston. Probably why it appears unharmed.
Hard to diagnosis from pics, it would be easier with the saw in person, preferably intact. You tear it down you own it!

What's a 4 corner seizure?
Usually caused when saw is ran WOT before bringing cylinder up to temp (warm up).
Even if that’s the case, there are plenty of other issues.
A crank bearing doesn’t go south in 20min.
It takes a little while.
And most likely the the product of living life @ 50:1

Oh yeah!!!!
I’d want my $ back actually.

Yes, but there is a risk in buying used.

Especially "third" hand. The buyer may have asked " is it all original or oem". To which the seller could have truthfully responded with "as far as I know".
I am interested in knowing what the new owner is thinking as far as who is responsible. No way should he have taken the saw apart if he is expecting a refund.
Also interested in knowing how the saw was sold to the OP.

Especially "third" hand. The buyer may have asked " is it all original or oem". To which the seller could have truthfully responded with "as far as I know".
I am interested in knowing what the new owner is thinking as far as who is responsible. No way should he have taken the saw apart if he is expecting a refund.
Yes
Many variables we know nothing about.
I woulda stopped when I saw the Meteor cylinder had I been expecting OEM.
Especially paying OEM price IMO.

I bought the saw sight unseen so the original purchase was a gamble to me. The saw arrived clean and only needing a dawg and a new kill switch. I did not even look at the cylinder truthfully to see if it were Am or oem and was not concealing anything when I sold the saw. The new owner didn't even want me to compression check it in front of him. Yes I would be upset also and the new owner is actually more then passive in his demeanor, which more leads me to think he don't want to get me upset and completely tell him to screw off because I believe he told.me a white lie in the use of the saw and or mix of fuel. But regardless of any of that I want to make it right and get this saw functioning as it should or better, maybe a BB kit?
Anyhow planning on the upcoming project which I would like to complete rather promptly, will I need a case splitter for this saw? Is that the only way to split the case? Such as the one below. Anyone here sell them? Are they this much or is there a place I can purchase cheaper?
e29412239a9d16f8b0defc68b444df84.jpg

I wouldn’t buy a BB kit. No way.
I’d get a price from one of the many dealers here on an OEM and also a price on another Meteor. Give the owner the option as long as he’s footing a percentage of the parts invoice.
Case splitters aren’t necessary, but sure make the job speedier. Just make sure you have all the case bolts removed. Your call.
You’re gonna want to order crank bearings, gasket set and crank seals. I’d also order a new wrist pin bearing as most top end kits do not include them.
Before I recently acquired a STIHL case splitter, I used a little heat (MAPP) and a brass hammer for 8yrs with never an issue.
YMMV

I’d also make sure the newly rebuilt saw is ran no leaner 40:1

Well since I'm putting together my list for know parts that I'm replacing in this saw. Any suggestions on crank bearing, seals and such?

Back