Husqvarna 390XP vs 395XP ...which one is the better saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, please note in that video, the difference between the 372 and 390 in the first test was .1 second in a roughly 4 second test. The difference in the second test was over 6 seconds?!! It would seem my theory has been proven in a way. Lol.

Also, please note in that video, the difference between the 372 and 390 in the first test was .1 second in a roughly 4 second test. The difference in the second test was over 6 seconds?!! It would seem my theory has been proven in a way. Lol.
Keep in mind your saying the 372 is faster in smaller wood which this was, your theory is not proven and I'd bet that 390 could use a more aggressive chain. Steve

Isn't it fun saw shopping with other peoples money . Buy the 395 if you don't like you can always get another saw tell the wife it's ro heavy need a smaller one.

Agree with you. Cutting firewood and a second or two in cutting times seems meaningless, racing for money yes, firewood no. Everyone says they enjoy using their saws, so get 10 minutes extra time in a day running your saws, seems like a win. I do enjoy running my MillerMod 390 in larger logs, but 372 gets more trigger time. Maybe that 350 chevy chainsaw would be a better large saw option.:)

ok, just some food for thought. i was talking about all things being equal, same bar, same chain. since @mountainlake and others insist that displacement will trump everything here are a few videos. these were taken at a pretty competitive (yet friendly) race GTG. These saws are all ported, mostly race saws, all race chains.
77cc poulan pro 405 beats a 94 cc 394

123 cc (i think?) 084 edges out 390xp

same 390xp beats 3120 xp

only point im trying to make is that, displacement is far from the most deciding factor when it comes to cut speed in smaller size wood. rpm cuts wood, not cubic inches. period.

Agree with you. Cutting firewood and a second or two in cutting times seems meaningless, racing for money yes, firewood no. Everyone says they enjoy using their saws, so get 10 minutes extra time in a day running your saws, seems like a win. I do enjoy running my MillerMod 390 in larger logs, but 372 gets more trigger time. Maybe that 350 chevy chainsaw would be a better large saw option.:)
My mofo 262 gets waaaay more use than my mmws 288. 288 rocks hard, but i just dont need 90 ported cc’s for everything. If all i cut was 20” plus, i wouldnt even own a 60cc saw cuz it would be a waste of time. (Thats not true, id still own lots of saws lol)

ok, just some food for thought. i was talking about all things being equal, same bar, same chain. since @mountainlake and others insist that displacement will trump everything here are a few videos. these were taken at a pretty competitive (yet friendly) race GTG. These saws are all ported, mostly race saws, all race chains.
77cc poulan pro 405 beats a 94 cc 394

123 cc (i think?) 084 edges out 390xp

same 390xp beats 3120 xp

only point im trying to make is that, displacement is far from the most deciding factor when it comes to cut speed in smaller size wood. rpm cuts wood, not cubic inches. period.

You gonna run a 346 vs a 390? Come on.

I put the video there to show the obvious, and it was mentioned earlier, that in smaller wood there is probably no perceived benefit in cutting speed using a big saw but you’ll definitely notice the weight. In big wood with a big saw and a long bar you get a big smile.

Wtf man, all im trying to say is that with the same bar and chain and sprocket, the 372 is faster up to a certain diameter, it just is. More rpms in the cut means it ****ing cuts faster, 372xt specs say 10,200 max power rpms, 390 and 395 show 9,600. For some amount of wood, the higher rpms will cut more wood, “plain and simple”

Latest posts

Back