Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a couple of ute loads of this the other day, hard as hell to split (had to hit some of it around 8 times before it got a split in it) :laugh: and weighs a ton but should be good burning wood for an all nighter, hope so anyway.

All I can say is thank god for the 394, she soon had it sorted.

Xss5Ea9l.jpg

mOns8obl.jpg

eOKHCtfl.jpg

Where are you roughly, BFS? Nice scrounge, but jeez, it's a bit hot for that isn't it?!

Then the fun begins lol
The block heater on my 7.3 quit this winter but it will still start at 5* F on the glowplugs , I just let it warm up for 10 to 15 minutes before I go anywhere .
I have 2 engine codes as of now...something about a sensor and "lost communication with glow plug controller"...so it starts rough under 20F if I dont have the block heater plugged in. I'm just lucky enough to have easy access to an extension cord at work. And I get to park right outside the shop door.

It's Straya Day today. In defiance of the creeping self-loathing infecting our country, the lamb producers of Oz make ads celebrating this land and giving the finger to sooky vegetarian types (who also don't like chainsaws). 2005's ad was one of the best.

Last year's one sucked though.

Well , "After Scrounge" related lol
I had a customer give one of these today .

http://www.novascotiancrystal.com/beer-glass-titanic.html

He works there and blows glass . I swear that it make cheap beer taste great lol
Even comes with a 1 year no question asked warranty against breakage !

I was asked to help drive a bus on Tuesday. As a mechanic and the maintenance manager it's not my favorite job but with the rain and ice we had a number of drivers out so I did what needed to be done. Just off a very busy road on my way through a fairly new housing project I spotted a small pile of wood. Lessee, wide serrations in the bark, clearly defined rings, and a very tell-tale coloring. Locust! So tonight after leaving work I headed over and knocked on the door of the closest house. I didn't even get past "I burn wood for heat" when the homeowner told me to get it outta there. Score!

It's not much. But it was right next to the road, it was cut short enough to carry, it was enough to keep us warm for about a day, and it's seasoned. Now it's in my pile waiting to be cut and split.

@95custmz , Those pieces definitely look like Eastern Cottonwood. Did they have a strange or bad smell? Dry it well before burning. Those pieces will go up fairly quickly.

Attachments

• KIMG0676.JPG
    KIMG0676.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
So I scored a big Kobalt 80gal air compressor from work. They had food grade compressor oil in it because it's a food plant. Anybody that works with anything "food grade" knows its garbage. I changed the oil and put the recommended full syn non-detergent oil in it. The oil that came out was clean, but that was because the compressor hasn't been used since May when we got brand new twin 30HP screw compressors, so the crap settled out of the oil and formed a sludge in the bottom of the case. I should have left the oil out and got some diesel and flushed it out, but now that I know its in there I'll give it an agressive oil change schedule till the case is clean. I took the pump/motor/controls/fittings off the tank and brought that all home seperate. The tank is still at work. I'm puting the compressor in the basement so it makes it harder to steal, then I'll hook up a spool for the basement that will reach everything in the basement, then run a line upstairs to the woodshop with a spool so I can reach everything upstairs, then put another tank in the garage and feed a spool off that to reach everything in the basement/driveway. Its gonna be sweet. I have wanted air for years.

I was asked to help drive a bus on Tuesday. As a mechanic and the maintenance manager it's not my favorite job but with the rain and ice we had a number of drivers out so I did what needed to be done. Just off a very busy road on my way through a fairly new housing project I spotted a small pile of wood. Lessee, wide serrations in the bark, clearly defined rings, and a very tell-tale coloring. Locust! So tonight after leaving work I headed over and knocked on the door of the closest house. I didn't even get past "I burn wood for heat" when the homeowner told me to get it outta there. Score!

Can't complain about locust. Now that I've worked out what it is, I see that it is a fairly commonly planted yard tree in these parts. I'll keep an eye out for any that look like they need some 661 treatment.

I've spent some time in the lakes region of NH and there was another scrounger here from those parts. Whereabouts are you?

I've spent some time in the lakes region of NH and there was another scrounger here from those parts. Whereabouts are you?

I'm near Tilton NH but I picked this up in Manchester. Folks in the city seem more likely to give away firewood. Most don't bother with wood stoves, they can't burn in open fires, and they have to pay to have wood removed.

Latest posts

Back