200T Validation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum783

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a friend who happened upon a 200t in a pawn shop he got it at a good price and is willing to work with me as far as price. Before I purchase this I want ensure that the piston and cylinder are OEM. What are other things that I need to be checking to ensure this thing is not a dud. The buddy pulled a compression test on it and it revealed 125 I can check it with my gauge but I have no reason to doubt him. Mind you we live at 6200' so compression here is always low but that seem right in the ball park for what I would expect. Muffler extraction revealed some minor scratching on the cylinder wall but I have not looked at the piston. The minor scratching was what he told me. The plastics on the saw look quite nice so that leads me to believe it is either smothered in lip stick or truly is a gem. Please advise what else I should be looking at.

What he says about the cylinder is pretty vague. If the piston has scuffing then that will tell the tale. Otherwise 200s really show abuse on the clutch side, lots of singed plastic show lots of heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plastics clutch side look impressive. I will pull muffler and inspect in the morning. Just trying to get a grasp as to little issues I should be looking for.

Sounds like grandpa maybe picked it up for an easy to handle pruning saw for his home use. You might have stumbled on a gem, I would be looking at the clutch drum and plastic to make sure it is oem and not aftermarket replacement. Then make sure the cylinder is an good shape you should be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crickets, is there a style of lettering I should looking on cylinder or...... I don’t want to screw my buddy over and I don’t want to take the screwing either.

There should be “Stihl” or just an “S” on the cylinder somewhere. That’s the most foolproof way to tell. Can’t say if you are able to do that without some invasive disassembly.

If there is no carbon fouling on the piston and you have a boroscope you could also possibly see an “S” on the top of the piston.

There should be “Stihl” or just an “S” on the cylinder somewhere. That’s the most foolproof way to tell. Can’t say if you are able to do that without some invasive disassembly.

If there is no carbon fouling on the piston and you have a boroscope you could also possibly see an “S” on the top of the piston.

Have bore scope will do some checking! Thanks for that tip.

Back