Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't complain about locust. Now that I've worked out what it is, I see that it is a fairly commonly planted yard tree in these parts. I'll keep an eye out for any that look like they need some 661 treatment.

I've spent some time in the lakes region of NH and there was another scrounger here from those parts. Whereabouts are you?

Just wait a few years and you'll be able to cut Black locust to your heart's content then: it is the undisputed king of invasive trees.
They usually grow very fast in difficult to reach locations and like all fast-growing pioneer plants they tend to die young. I don't think I've ever counted more than 40 grow rings in a dead Black locust.

The worst thing about them is all it takes is for a few trees to escape eradication efforts: the wind will do the rest. There are always enough disturbed areas where they thrive: abandoned build sites, the corollary of real estate speculation, and vacant farmland are their natural nurseries.

But at least they are good for something, unlike Old man's beard, English ivy and their ilk.

I have seen many large Black Locust, and it is often planted on property borders. Makes the best fence posts, split rail fencing, hiking bridge material, and used to be used as guard rail posts. In addition, it makes excellent fire wood. Wish I came across more of it.

I transported 4 12" posts up to my cabin I plan to use for building an overhang. Should last about 4-ever.

The joke they have when they use Black Locust for hiking bridges ... It does not last 4-ever, but it will last one day longer than stone!

Well my moms new tractor works good, the bucket doesn’t hold much but with 4 wheel drive it gets around really well7D81AD53-FAC7-4325-9FED-32D34758100C.jpeg better than the cat actually, was doing some brush clearing and with ground froze so hard had to be careful about getting sideways at all or it would start slidingFB3DFE2B-42A1-484E-AF00-DE98FCDC2DE1.jpegMy uncle found out about that. He was moving his D8 to a new place to log and slid on the ice and rolled it over the bank9937D087-B6B2-412B-BA25-5C275D011673.pngThankfully he was able to jump and wasn’t hurt (he’s 73). He was pulling his home made atv behind it to get back to the house after moving the cat. A friend built a road to it with his mini ex and helped him get it out6E686A33-FFAB-4CAB-BA85-6806946FEB5A.png 8A7DF59B-EAEB-43C0-87A7-6A0718A64C04.png6C433F8D-D923-472F-8FC0-A6EB0305C3B4.png It still runs!8CEB52CC-1AEF-4A66-B0BD-FC4F9238A290.png

Wow! What a story. Glad he's ok. Anything major broken on the dozer? Them old machines were tough. I've heard a few stories of guys rolling them and nothing was wrong. Just flipped em over, got the oil out of the cylinders, and put em back to work. Looks like this one landed back on the tracks so that helped immensely

Wow! What a story. Glad he's ok. Anything major broken on the dozer? Them old machines were tough. I've heard a few stories of guys rolling them and nothing was wrong. Just flipped em over, got the oil out of the cylinders, and put em back to work. Looks like this one landed back on the tracks so that helped immensely
No sounds like the dozer came out pretty good, few little things bent but that’s about it. Yeah sure helped that it stopped right side up, for sure could have been a lot worse. The home made atv or as his grand kids call it the “woopie car” had a lot more damageB3374B00-3749-409C-BD80-26C077145D92.png

Glad every one is OK. I liked the Whoopie car. My high school buddy's dad built one. It had an old CJ trans, transfer case and front and rear axles. They mounted an old Kohler 12 HP above the input shaft for the trans, used the pully on the Kohler and put another pulley on the input shaft. Thing made a heck of a little tractor. I forget how they had the clutch rigged, but it worked, Joe.

What an awesome day. 57 degrees and sunny. The 306 got a workout today, did some buckin and noodling, and here are some pics of the Cottonwood tree all butchered up.
58276c06d8acb1661c4a79b6199f45fb.jpg
5fd72336128b0e54fa4fcfd1552f489a.jpg
bcb8434903608cc00e81e9722c023787.jpg
1eac648069302787c7fb01b737f31520.jpg
6188b3d7500b0eb1d8b164202d70a9a5.jpg
2fe7044435cbf7c0c72cce82494e897c.jpg
2b4a7df71047930a20081749137e69dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad every one is OK. I liked the Whoopie car. My high school buddy's dad built one. It had an old CJ trans, transfer case and front and rear axles. They mounted an old Kohler 12 HP above the input shaft for the trans, used the pully on the Kohler and put another pulley on the input shaft. Thing made a heck of a little tractor. I forget how they had the clutch rigged, but it worked, Joe.
My Dad, brothers and I built one when I was in high school. Model A frame, international scout axeles, trans, transfer case, 2 cyl. Wisconsin balier motor, separate brakes for each side, brake and clutch pedals from 151 combine, clutch was belt tensioner connected to clutch pedal, my brother still uses it in Alaska1731081F-5945-45FE-815E-2215D47D2599.jpeg8418667C-F73D-4EC9-A947-0C190BAA4D39.jpeg

Attachments

• 4E957CE7-6ECE-4A94-90EE-762AF435B674.jpeg
    4E957CE7-6ECE-4A94-90EE-762AF435B674.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
1DA14A67-4FAC-405A-B8BD-645A3B4CEAA5.jpeg Scrounge from yesterday. Small jag of oak, Red Elm, and Black Cherry. Blow down from 2-3 years ago. Small, younger trees, but all hung up in the tops of the next, so dried off the ground. I’ll take it any day of the week.

View attachment 628261 Scrounge from yesterday. Small jag of oak, Red Elm, and Black Cherry. Blow down from 2-3 years ago. Small, younger trees, but all hung up in the tops of the next, so dried off the ground. I’ll take it any day of the week.

Looks like nice wood, what sort of burn time would you get out of a piece and what sort of heat does it put out?

Just wait a few years and you'll be able to cut Black locust to your heart's content then: it is the undisputed king of invasive trees.
They usually grow very fast in difficult to reach locations and like all fast-growing pioneer plants they tend to die young. I don't think I've ever counted more than 40 grow rings in a dead Black locust.

The worst thing about them is all it takes is for a few trees to escape eradication efforts: the wind will do the rest. There are always enough disturbed areas where they thrive: abandoned build sites, the corollary of real estate speculation, and vacant farmland are their natural nurseries.

But at least they are good for something, unlike Old man's beard, English ivy and their ilk.

BL also poisions the soil around it so other trees are less likely to thrive. But the wood lasts and lasts even if it is tough to work with.

BL also poisions the soil around it so other trees are less likely to thrive. But the wood lasts and lasts even if it is tough to work with.
I have found that the small leaves on BL let enough light to the ground most anything grows under them, they love fence rows and always have thick under brush around them. Black Walnut produces "Juglones" that poisons the soil and will keep some plants from growing under them.
Ecological Niche

Black locusts will stampede out into a field or old gravel pit, or anywhere that things have been opened up for them. They are a pioneer species that will not become established in a forest.

Locust casts a very light shade. The leaves are made up of small round leaflets that allow a tremendous amount of light to pass through. The shade created by black locusts is so weak that undergrowth is always rampant underneath them. Most stands of black locust are tangles of honeysuckle and multiflora rose. Where exotic shrubs do not dominate the understory, hardwood tree seedlings find an excellent place to become established. The light shade offers protection, while the locust trees improve the soil through their nitrogen fixation and easily compostable leaf litter.

Black locusts are a short lived tree. Because of their shallow root system, they typically start falling over by the time they reach 60 plus years old. By this time, an abundance of hardwood seedlings have become established in the understory and will be ready to take over.

Seed production of black locusts begins early and can be heavy. The trees produce pea shaped pods containing a row of small hard seeds. These edible seeds, with their hard seed coat, can remain dormant in the soil for decades. Perhaps, they are waiting for the next forest disturbance to sprout again. The seedpods flutter off in the wind, but they do not travel very far at all.

Juglone, also called 5-hydroxy-1,4-naphthalenedione (IUPAC) is an organic compound with the molecular formula C10H6O3. In the food industry, juglone is also known as C.I. Natural Brown 7 and C.I. 75500. It is insoluble in benzene but soluble in dioxane, from which it crystallizes as yellow needles. It is an isomer of lawsone, which is the staining compound in the henna leaf.

Juglone occurs naturally in the leaves, roots, husks, fruit (the epicarp), and bark of plants in the Juglandaceae family, particularly the black walnut (Juglans nigra), and is toxic or growth-stunting to many types of plants.[1] It is sometimes used as an herbicide, as a dye for cloth and inks, and as a coloring agent for foods and cosmetics.

Contents
[1History
  • 6References

Technically speaking Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) belongs to a large, mostly unrelated, group of plants that produce allelochemicals to inhibit nearby competition and hence increase their own chances at survival and reproduction.
Black walnut (Juglans nigra) and butternut (J. cinerea) are however the most infamous, not so much because they produce juglone, an allelochemical, but because its concentration in their roots, buds leaves etc is so high as to cause severe problems to most nearby vegetation. English walnut (J. regia) also produces juglone but in far lower concentrations.

So you are both right.

There are, however, many plants that evolved varying grades of resistance to allelochemicals, including juglone. Birches, locusts, hollyhock and other piooner plants usually fare well as do begonias, daffodils, lugworts and many other species. Where, however, allelochemicals concentration in the soil are very high the best chance at recovering the soil are plowing it over to help aerating it (several beneficial soil bacteria help break down juglone and allied allelochemicals, but none of them is anaeroboic) and, if possible, sow some green manure to help improve the soil.

Rarefish, this is interesting information. When I find BL colonies they tend to have many BL trees of various height and age vying for light and the resulting effect is quite shady. I've seen weeds and briars underneath but often the soil looks similar to what is found in old Apple orchards and has little vegetation. I've seen areas where existing colonies have been broken to create a yard or clearing and there is more growth under the tree but there is also more light available. BL seems to cluster in smaller areas but it's rare that I see it as an early species in freshly disturbed soil. Sumac and Gray Birch are much more common as early trees where I travel. BL is not highly prevalent in this area and I usually observe it on older farmland after a larger plot has been subdivided and developed for housing. The comment I made about the tree poisoning the soil is from an article I found on the 'net years ago which claimed toxins from seedpods and leaves bleached into the soil and poisoned competing species. The 'net is a fickle world: I cannot seem find another article making that claim this morning so I am at a loss.

Next time I find a BL colony I will look at it in a new light. If what I observe conflicts with what is known then I will have yet another mystery to think on while I am cutting and splitting firewood.

Rarefish, this is interesting information. When I find BL colonies they tend to have many BL trees of various height and age vying for light and the resulting effect is quite shady. I've seen weeds and briars underneath but often the soil looks similar to what is found in old Apple orchards and has little vegetation. I've seen areas where existing colonies have been broken to create a yard or clearing and there is more growth under the tree but there is also more light available. BL seems to cluster in smaller areas but it's rare that I see it as an early species in freshly disturbed soil. Sumac and Gray Birch are much more common as early trees where I travel. BL is not highly prevalent in this area and I usually observe it on older farmland after a larger plot has been subdivided and developed for housing. The comment I made about the tree poisoning the soil is from an article I found on the 'net years ago which claimed toxins from seedpods and leaves bleached into the soil and poisoned competing species. The 'net is a fickle world: I cannot seem find another article making that claim this morning so I am at a loss.

Next time I find a BL colony I will look at it in a new light. If what I observe conflicts with what is known then I will have yet another mystery to think on while I am cutting and splitting firewood.
They do grow in colonies or clumps, and tend to start at the borders of woods and work their way out reclaiming open ground. I've never seen a young one growing in heavy forest. I tend to see them in fence rows with Honey Suckle and Poison Ivy shoulder high. When I was a kid, 1968-70, our back yard was a clump of 35-40 footers. They are all gone now. We loved them because they gave enough shade for the picnic table, and enough light, for a thick crop of grass. As C3 states, they may produce growth inhibitors also. Most of the stuff I see growing under them is weeds. This statement is more of what I see, "The light shade offers protection, while the locust trees improve the soil through their nitrogen fixation and easily compostable leaf litter." It is one of my favorite firewoods, and I'm making a set of handles for a pre WWII Scout knife with missing handles. I'm going to try and checker them, it might prove to be hard, Joe.

Latest posts

Back