Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got a new saw! Took my echo 490 out for a load of mostly ash yesterday. After cutting for 2 hours my buddy brought up his tractor to make easier paths to get to the wood. There are probably 20+ more loads of this size for me. It’s going to be a busy spring/summer!
IMG_20170302_143924.jpgYoull like the 490. Pull the deflector and spark screen off. There's a tube under there that just pulls out, its only half the size of the muffler outlet. Cut the front of the deflector off and retune. Big gains to be had from that simple MM.

View attachment 628776Youll like the 490. Pull the deflector and spark screen off. There's a tube under there that just pulls out, its only half the size of the muffler outlet. Cut the front of the deflector off and retune. Big gains to be had from that simple MM.

Thanks for the tip. Is there anything I should look for before I mod the saw and void the warranty?
I have the saw as rich as it can be now with the limit caps still there. I honestly think my low needs to be let out some more.

Do you use 40:1 gas? The dealer said to use 50:1 but from reading online it sounds like the extra oil is good during the break in.

I did get a nice scrounge of deadfall too. Nature provided an excellent elevated cutting opportunity and then the Ford did the same. Beautiful January weather for cutting and splitting....I had been burning through the wood pile but not much replenishment happening until today.

Attachments

• 57C29A55-6760-488D-AA36-D072B0F08D19.png
    57C29A55-6760-488D-AA36-D072B0F08D19.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 34FC462B-3E4C-4712-A60B-1632F9C81AB0.jpeg
    34FC462B-3E4C-4712-A60B-1632F9C81AB0.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 20
I took the family out for breakfast this morning and while we were out we listened to a deal being made for 2.5 cord of seasoned wood. "It's ready to burn, the logs are three years old. I just need to run them through my processor and I can deliver 'em." I can tell you that I've had 8' lengths that are three years old that are still a bit damp when cut n split. This stuff was log truck length. But the deal went down, $600 for this wood cut to length and delivered, and all were happy. On the way home I noticed a sign bearing the words "Free wood" in fresh paint. Well, I'll be. I didn't hear any complaints from my wife when I stopped and picked up every piece bringing home about 3/4 of a short box pickup full of mostly Red Maple with a bit of Pine thrown in. The Maple will endup in the woodshed and the Pine might go for a bonfire or it might go into the "barn" pile where I keep lightweight stuff for the stove in the workshop.

After unloading it I built a jamb and hung a 100 year old door I scrounged in the workshop using a saw and some hammers I'd scrounged several years ago.

If only every day could be this successful for so little money.

Thanks for the tip. Is there anything I should look for before I mod the saw and void the warranty?
I have the saw as rich as it can be now with the limit caps still there. I honestly think my low needs to be let out some more.

Do you use 40:1 gas? The dealer said to use 50:1 but from reading online it sounds like the extra oil is good during the break in.
Both my echo took 8-10 tanks to show there full potential. If your not comfortable voiding the warrenty leave it stock. If it doesn't bother you I'd do the MM and retune after 5 tanks or so. I run 40:1 in all my 2 stroke stuff. What part of central Maryland are you from.

Unfortunately we surprised each other in the driveway. He didn’t come back to give me a shot....not that I would do that but with no neighbors I have a lot of options.
When stuff killed my chickens I let the dead one lay. The criminal usually comes back to the scene of the crime.

Dropped this Ash today, and a Norway Maple (no pics). The Ash was a bit larger, but the Maple was really leaning the wrong way. Just love that Maddsen Rope Winch, dropped em both right on the money!

Plan to mill the Ash trunk. Was large enough to put my CFB Hybrid with the 28" bar into action. Ran great.

Dang, this site won't let me upload the pics, the other site did, they used to be the same!

Back