Looks like I'm going to need a new 250+kbtu gasification IWB, recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how long those 'G' Heatmasters have actually been around, but they seem to be getting good feedback & reviews. I thought they were an OWB, but just saw note recently at 'another place' about them being able to be used indoors too. From a quick look at specs (I was surprised to see 6"), you might be tight getting it piped into your current chimney thimble, height-wise. But not sure what you are able to do about your thimble height - if you need to do something. I think they're open, also - so should be a more straightforward swap. I would definitely short list it. Also, I don't really have any idea how much any of the ones talked about actually cost - seeing some numbers might be interesting.

I agree, reducing down to 6" sounds silly, but $476 per 36" of 12" SS insulated pipe is equally silly and I can't justify tearing down a perfect $2k chimney to replace with a $6k chimney.

I'm not knocking you for asking. Obviously it's a serious constraint. Manufacturers usually don't like to compromise on the flue size very much so if a stove has a 12" flue asking if you can use half the spec'ed size should shake them up.

I have natural gas and it is the backup for the house forced air furnace. However, to keep the house at 62 degrees 4 years ago in february cost me $394 before my shop was built. If I kept the house at 68 and my shop at 65, I would be easily pushing $1000/month in natural gas dec-feb. I will happily feed a boiler for that price.

Gotcha. NG must be cheaper in Ontario as the people I know have much smaller bills.

I started with the Empyre 100, had an early model without the cold water protection. Never had a failure. The failure was in not being able to produce heat for very long with only 60000btu. They kept telling me I didn’t need storage, of course you do. So I splurged and bought a Garn Jr. I was quoted $35 k to pipe NG into my place, so at $15 k I thought the Garn was a decent investment. I have propane backup.
I don’t know if I would go this route if I had to,do,it all over again.

Also have Garns, but looking at your system I might go another way, unless you have money to burn.

If your current set up takes care of most of your load say 80% top it as need ed with Propane whatever best works for you. I have some friends in a commercial set up that do that, the wood boiler basically runs 24/7 but for the times when their demand really shoots up the Propane kicks in.

I saw an Emprye going cheap, sounds like warranty claims took them under.

Latest posts

Back