Give it to me straight on ported saws 346xp DD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codygary

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've had a chance to run my 346xp that DD ported, thing is an absolute monster, going through 10inch oak no problem, 14" birch like a hot knife through butter,

My local dealer is pretty forward about that it's gonna burn up, very knowledgeable guy, pretty sure he's one of the biggest husky dealers in the state if not the nation, trust him 100%

But I see so many saws being ported so I can't imagine it's all THAT bad?

Basically I'm reaching for my DD 346 vs the 372 all day today and am now worried about the lifespan of the 346 because it's so much fun and I don't want it to be short lived :(

Make sure it's getting enough fuel. You can really make them scream, and for limbing, 15,000+ isn't out of the question, but for bucking and longer cuts, richen it up to make sure it doesn't run too hot. Keep a sharp chain on it, and listen for that four stroking to make sure it's not lean. Also, I like a little extra oil, like 40:1. No need for crazy high performance bike oils, but a quality 2-stroke oil makes a big difference.

Beyond that, let it rip. It's not gonna last forever, nothing does, but if it puts a big smile on your face while its around, that's what counts. Do they last as long as a stock saw? Maybe, maybe not. Too many variables.

Not really, something about it not adjusting fuel right maybe? I honestly can't tell you and I don't really inquire, I had him put a new oiler in and he just seems pretty skeptical of it. I would think if it was harmless to have saws ported husqvarna would make them that way from the start.

I'm sure this question has been posted a 100 times, I'm kinda curious if anyone has any knowledge with DD 346 personally on this subject. This is the 1st Peter saw I've ran so maybe they're all this awesome?

Most dealers are skeptical about such things, as they don't know any better. He said the saw would blow up, yet I bet he couldn't explain to you why, and I doubt eh would even understand what was done to the saw.

DD did good work, some If his saws were stronger than others, that can happen, doesn't mean he didn't know his stuff, he does.

As said above, run good oil, I like 32:1 but 40:1 will work. Keep it tuned by ear for the work you're doing, and yes a sharp cheap is a must. If it ever acts up shut it down and find the issue, this goes for any saw ported or not. Now go run the saw and have fun with it.

I met Dan a few times. He ported my 357. Don't believe your skeptical dealer. Make sure your tune 4 strokes when hot out of the cut and feed it 40/1. Run the snot out of it.
@ one gtg we had, Dan tuned up one of his personal saws to 17,000 something rpm. Fooker was screamin'. Doesn't keep it there regularly but more than a few cuts were made, pretty quick too.

I met Dan a few times. He ported my 357. Don't believe your skeptical dealer. Make sure your tune 4 strokes when hot out of the cut and feed it 40/1. Run the snot out of it.
@ one gtg we had, Dan tuned up one of his personal saws to 17,000 something rpm. Fooker was screamin'. Doesn't keep it there regularly but more than a few cuts were made, pretty quick too.
Jason is that the one he said was one of his first saws he ported? i think he told me he had done it like 12 years earlier. almost made me a convert to husky after running it.:crazy2:

I’ve been here thirteen years now. This whole “ported saws are going to blow up” nonsense has been a staple question over all those years. I guess it will never stop, even tho it is a demonstrably untrue claim each and every time some friend or saw dealer or whomever makes it.

I had a dealer make that claim to me once. I asked him how many saws he had ported or how many ported saws he had run. He said he had never ported a saw or run a ported saw. Now why would I, or anyone for that matter, take his advice on a topic he knew nothing about? I’m guessing your dealer is probably in a similar position. His status as a high volume dealer does not make him an expert in porting work.

Jason is that the one he said was one of his first saws he ported? i think he told me he had done it like 12 years earlier. almost made me a convert to husky after running it.:crazy2:
I don't remember hearing that. I heard the one his son was running it from afar and he heard it absolutely screaming, went to get it before it blew and it never did. He doesn't keep it that high, but it's capable. I'm not one to buy in to the higher revs is necessarily better, ya need fuel to make powa. Just amazing it stays together and running in those conditions. His personal saws had quite a bit more wow factor than what ya get as a customer.

A woods port saw is simply running more efficiently than its stock counterpart.

Provided quality oil (and enough of it) is used the life span difference should be negligible.

Shoddy building practices and/or lack of oil will kill a saw quickly. Fortunately the fly by night builders seem to weed themselves out fairly quickly.

Many dealers who own their shops employ qualified techs to do the technical work. Often many of them barely know how to change a spark plug. This is not always the case but often is. It does not fit into their 'business model' to deal with ported/modified saws, OEM's hate that kinda stuff & never condone it.

Just ask your dealer why he thinks your saw is going to die. Maybe he saw something legitimate. A lot of dealers do freak out when they see clipped carb limiters, beer can base gaskets, advanced timing, etc. But some are looking at the E85 Home Depot mix they pour out of a saw, the dirt in the carb barrel, clogged filters, dull and overtightened chains and many other real problems that kill saws fast.
I think a lot of dealers work with a clientele that knows very little about the tools they use. If you're running a quality ported saw it pays to educate yourself. And it makes that grin even bigger when you fire up a quality ported saw.

When I told my dealer I had my 590 ported he ask me why I didn't just get a bigger saw. Wasn't against it as he used to do the repair work on the saws the fallers at Glatfelter used. He's seen ported and modified saws with tons of hours in a full time professional environment. I don't have a tach but my saw doesn't seem to turn a ton more RPMs its just stronger everywhere compared to stock.

Latest posts

Back