Stihl o26 cleaned carb, now floods wont start??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I broke down and cleaned the carb , all except the adjustment screws. Pretty good amount of debris on the screens. Cleaned well with carb cleaner. Removed the needle and spring. Everything seemed to go back together just as came off. I did use air as well. First pull spits like it will fire, then after no choke absolutely nothing and is spilling gas out of the muffler after a few more pulls..? Any suggestions? Ive been in it twice since trying to see any errors. Thanks

Good morning, Personally I would start at looking at the gaskets/ diaphragm and their orientation to make sure they are not installed upside down. Also double check the meter lever that moves the needle to be sure it is level with the body of the carb. you may also be observing your carb was tuned to the debris in the carb and most likely will need to be re-adjusted.

If I crank the screw down that holds the metering level in place, it does not seem to have any play..? I loosened it also, gave a little play with the spring but made no difference.

The height of the lever where it contacts the diaphragm is what we are talking about. It should be flush with the surface of the carb body. Also the lever should pivot on the rod that's held down by the screw, seating and un-seating the fuel inlet needle.

Buy a Walbro metering lever gauge. It may seem expensive until you use it: makes carb rebuilds a far far faster affair.

Oh yes, the 026 has a Walbro WT carburetor if I remember correctly: those carbs (and the WA's) do not take to rebuilds kindly, so if it keeps flooding after properly setting the metering lever just throw it away and buy another one (genuine or aftermarket, according to budget).

If you are going to take the carb apart again, first look on ebay and get a rebuild kit - they are very inexpensive. You'll have better luck with all new parts. You'll need to remove and replace the welch/welsh plugs (can't remember exactly what ya call 'em). Very likely there will be some crud under those. Generally though, crud in the carb makes for too little fuel coming out instead of too much. The cleaner the carb is inside, the better it will perform.

If I crank the screw down that holds the metering level in place, it does not seem to have any play..? I loosened it also, gave a little play with the spring but made no difference.

Something sounds off there. The lever needs to be able to move. Sounds like it's stuck for some reason? it should still move even if the screw is tight, and the screw needs to be tight. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

Latest posts

Back