What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of recent items. Mantle I was commissioned for. Soft maple I cleared off my shop site. The boat is in process (13' grand banks dory), but is birch I milled a few years back. Will be glassing the outside and interior floor. Should be "done" within a couple months. I hope :).
IMG_4486.JPG IMG_5593.JPG

The boat plans came from Spira International (great guy to work with). The plans actually show the sides being made from a single sheet (scarfed plywood). Theres a couple ways to do lap strake as I have have it, but I opted to have the internal frame members "stair cased" so the side panels were in full contact (versus a bond line to previous plank, and gap underneath and then touch again along opposite edge). Got a few more planks on the other night, hope to have a couple new pictures soon.

Steel frame bed with chainsaw milled cherry.

The bedside table on the left in the last picture was also built by me out of band milled cherry. A tornado came through my dads wooded property when I was about 12 years old. We logged out the downed trees and got it milled by a local guy with a Wood Mizer. I built the table when I was 26. Air dried for a long time up in MI.

The split top bench shown in many of the pictures was made out of chainsaw milled pine bottom and salvaged engineered beams for the top.

OFqxwx1.jpg

ikxPU7A.jpg

ZbW381F.jpg

n4rAT8a.jpg

V35tHMi.jpg

fB4rKbG.jpg

Steel frame bed with chainsaw milled cherry.

The bedside table on the left in the last picture was also built by me out of band milled cherry. A tornado came through my dads wooded property when I was about 12 years old. We logged out the downed trees and got it milled by a local guy with a Wood Mizer. I built the table when I was 26. Air dried for a long time up in MI.

The split top bench shown in many of the pictures was made out of chainsaw milled pine bottom and salvaged engineered beams for the top.

OFqxwx1.jpg

ikxPU7A.jpg

ZbW381F.jpg

n4rAT8a.jpg

V35tHMi.jpg

fB4rKbG.jpg
WOW!!!. That's is awesome!
Great work. Looks fantastic. Like a million bucks.
I may have to steal that idea to make my own for our queen bed.
Is that a double?

Small stuff but at least it shows I am VERY slowly using some of the timber I have milled.
I made this for a friends 60th from a Box wood street tree I milled 10 years ago.
The tree comes the same suburb my friend grew up in back in the 1960's
Handles are turned from the same timber.
View attachment 633282

View attachment 633284
Nice work on the boards.
My Dad had an old English made bread knife that looked like that. I think we used it for over 30 years when Mom used to make home made bread.
I still have a good bunch of English steel knives of theirs. All made in Sheffield, England. Some with Ox bone handles. Great steel and craftsman ship back then.

IMG_1117.JPG IMG_1118.JPG IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1121.JPG Finally bit the bullet and picked up the festool ro 150. The thing is an absolute monster and will surely be saving me some serious time on finishes.

Used it on a small off cut of walnut for a shelf for my wife. Hooked it up to my delta dust collector and is virtually dust free when sanding. Finished this with Rubio monocoat which is expensive but sure brings out the color in this air dried walnut.

I must have milled it on an angle or the log was curvy because I somehow ended up with the pith centered in the end of the board and pops through on the face as well. Pretty neat.

View attachment 633662 View attachment 633663 View attachment 633664 View attachment 633665 Finally bit the bullet and picked up the festool ro 150. The thing is an absolute monster and will surely be saving me some serious time on finishes.

Used it on a small off cut of walnut for a shelf for my wife. Hooked it up to my delta dust collector and is virtually dust free when sanding. Finished this with Rubio monocoat which is expensive but sure brings out the color in this air dried walnut.

I must have milled it on an angle or the log was curvy because I somehow ended up with the pith centered in the end of the board and pops through on the face as well. Pretty neat.

Absolutely gorgeous piece of walnut! Love how some of the darker heartwood color bleeds into to sapwood.

Couple questions;
How thick is that board, 6/4?
Wondering how you got that color bleeding into the sapwood. Was it because it sat as a log for a year or two before you milled it?

I've had some color bleed into the sapwood on walnut if left in log form a few years.

Those festool sanders with dust collection are awesome. When you put them in aggressive mode they really eat up the wood.

Absolutely gorgeous piece of walnut! Love how some of the darker heartwood color bleeds into to sapwood.

Couple questions;
How thick is that board, 6/4?
Wondering how you got that color bleeding into the sapwood. Was it because it sat as a log for a year or two before you milled it?

I've had some color bleed into the sapwood on walnut if left in log form a few years.

Those festool sanders with dust collection are awesome. When you put them in aggressive mode they really eat up the wood.
Yes the 150 sure does eat some
Wood up. Love it so far. As for the dyed sap wood, I'm not sure how long that particular log sat. Not super long if I had to guess.

What I can say is that some cookies I milled and dried in my basement had similar dark spots in the sap wood. In the summer my basement is quite damp even with a big dehumidifier. It caused some fungus to grow on the cookies so I think the coloring is related to something like that.

That slab was an off cut and actually sat outside in the weather for a month or so before I saw it with some rain on it and had to take it home.

Nice work on the boards.
Thanks - It's just the two sides of the same board .
My Dad had an old English made bread knife that looked like that. I think we used it for over 30 years when Mom used to make home made bread.
I still have a good bunch of English steel knives of theirs. All made in Sheffield, England. Some with Ox bone handles. Great steel and craftsman ship back then.
The breadknife is a Sheffield blade supplied by a local woodcraft store.

Back