Hello Everyone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarred Agney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post here and i just joined, I started coming here after moving into my new home in November. Which is what brings me here, there is a wood stove where i moved to, which has been great but lead to a tuff first winter. I had essentially no supply of wood after moving in and have been playing catch-up ever sense. And here in Illinois we had a 3 week stretch of weather hovering in the single digits getting into the negatives. Couple that with a pretty good dry spell and it's been an interesting winter. I live on 10 acres in a 2000 square foot house, the wood stove is used to heat roughly 1/2-2/3 of the house. The first month was ruff learning how to tend the fire and use it efficiently.

I am very fortunate to have access to a healthy supply of wood, roughly 120 acres of timber and probably 4 miles of fence row with ample oak, hedge, hickory, and locus. This is timber I have essentially unlimited access to, there is probably another 80+ acres of timber that I have access to with some oversight. I bought my first saw which is a Stihl MS241CM with a 16" bar. I've ran saws a good portion of my life, but none of my own. Next on my list is something in the 60CC range for big work then something small and light with a 12" bar. I will continue to buy commercial grade saws, my though being I'm young enough to get my use/money out of them. Today was a good day of work I got 2/3 of a cord css from a red oak that went down last year and picked up another truck bed of split and seasoned hedge that's been dead for 10+ years.

If anyone has any tips for planning for the coming years let me know. You'll likely see me lerking around the wood working and fire wood soon forums.

Welcome to the forum. Much advise available here and a good group of people willing to help. Stop by the Good morning check in thread and introduce yourself if you haven't already. Sounds like you have plenty of wood available, it's just a little extra work the first year or so because you need to get ahead of the wood game to give a chance to dry (season). Dry wood heats the best.

Back